PDA

View Full Version : PW 5100 Memory question

NuT CrAcKeR
April 2nd 04, 06:04 AM
Hey group...

i just did something implusive. I picked up a dual 333 professional
workstation 5100 for about $75.

the new HP site isnt easy to use. It says that the max the machine will work
with was 512M. Well, that was true at the time, when the PII's of the day
(pre-333) could only cache the memory address space of 512M. The 333 bumped
that limit to 3GB.

Does anyone know if running a 5100 with dual 333's will mean that up to 3 gb
of ram could be run in it? This system has dual memory controllers, each
with 4 dimm slots. 8 total slots. At the very least, 2G (8 x256) should be
possible, but i am thinking there might be a workstation guy amongst us who
has worked with these in various configs...

thanks,

LC

Philipp G. Schenkl
April 2nd 04, 08:30 AM
> i just did something implusive. I picked up a dual 333 professional
> workstation 5100 for about $75.

I suggest you look at www.kingston.com, a quick search there yielded
that 512MB is the maximum, however, there appear to be different
submodels which MAY have different maximum RAM.

nut cracker
April 2nd 04, 08:21 PM
that sucks. there was a rom (chip) upgrade that was needed with the 3000's
when the 333's came out that allowed the severs to have up to 3G of ram. too
bad they didnt do something similar with the workstations.