PDA

View Full Version : Bad HP! Poor Customer Service

Fool
February 26th 04, 03:41 AM
I recently purchased a brand new Compaq Presario S6500NX. The
operating system loaded on the box is Windows XP Home Edition. It is
also loaded with lot's of trial ware. It is also loaded with lot's of
adware and spyware, including the evil backweb. I formatted the hard
drive and reinstalled my own copy of Windows XP Professional. Needless
to say my old copy of XP didn't have any drivers for the onboard video
of my new computer. I went to the HP web site to look for the video
driver. They had the soundcard driver, but no video driver. I opened a
trouble ticket from the web site. The following is HP's response:

"I see that you would like to have Windows XP professional driver for
the system video."

"As the drivers are not available online, you can try ordering
Presario Software Enhancement CD for the system."

More information was given regarding how to "order" this CD. The
information was useless as I was NOT able to order a Presario Software
Enhancement CD by calling the number they gave me. My reply to the
email message was sent days ago and no response has been given.

I can't believe in this day and age a national company would not make
all hardware drivers for the most popular Windows operating systems
available for free download over the internet from their support web
site. It is even harder to believe hey would hold the drivers for
ransom. I don't remember this kind of cheap extortion racket being run
by Compaq before they were aquired by Hewlett Packard. I say, "Shame
on you Carly Fiorina for allowing your company to get away with
providing such poor customer service". I hope that anyone that was
thinking about purchasing a Compaq or Hewlett Packard computer will
think twice about it. If there are any lawyers our there interested in
sponsoring a class action suit, I'll bet there are plenty of
plaintiffs available.

Justin Other Fool

NuT CrAcKeR
February 26th 04, 05:02 AM
It gets to be too hard to support. They offer a reasonably reliable software
base and expect you to stick with it. Its the only cost effective way to be
able to provide support for hundreds of thousands of PC's. It has to be a
known quantity. If you are an advanced enough user to warrent running XP,
you were really stupid to buy a presario.

Here is an analogy... you are ****ed off at your car maker because you
decided to paint your car a different color, and they dont offer seats in a
color that goes with the new paint job.

Boo Hoo...

LC

"Fool" > wrote in message
om...
> I recently purchased a brand new Compaq Presario S6500NX. The
> operating system loaded on the box is Windows XP Home Edition. It is
> also loaded with lot's of trial ware. It is also loaded with lot's of
> adware and spyware, including the evil backweb. I formatted the hard
> drive and reinstalled my own copy of Windows XP Professional. Needless
> to say my old copy of XP didn't have any drivers for the onboard video
> of my new computer. I went to the HP web site to look for the video
> driver. They had the soundcard driver, but no video driver. I opened a
> trouble ticket from the web site. The following is HP's response:
>
> "I see that you would like to have Windows XP professional driver for
> the system video."
>
> "As the drivers are not available online, you can try ordering
> Presario Software Enhancement CD for the system."
>
> More information was given regarding how to "order" this CD. The
> information was useless as I was NOT able to order a Presario Software
> Enhancement CD by calling the number they gave me. My reply to the
> email message was sent days ago and no response has been given.
>
> I can't believe in this day and age a national company would not make
> all hardware drivers for the most popular Windows operating systems
> available for free download over the internet from their support web
> site. It is even harder to believe hey would hold the drivers for
> ransom. I don't remember this kind of cheap extortion racket being run
> by Compaq before they were aquired by Hewlett Packard. I say, "Shame
> on you Carly Fiorina for allowing your company to get away with
> providing such poor customer service". I hope that anyone that was
> thinking about purchasing a Compaq or Hewlett Packard computer will
> think twice about it. If there are any lawyers our there interested in
> sponsoring a class action suit, I'll bet there are plenty of
> plaintiffs available.
>
> Justin Other Fool

Hank Arnold
February 26th 04, 10:06 AM
First of all, there is no difference between XP Home and XP Professional
w.r.t. drivers. If you said you had XP Pro, try submitting another ticket
with XP Home on it.

Actually, IMHO, I never bother with OEM drivers. I just identify the
manufacturer and model of hardware and go to the manufacturer's web site.
Usually get more current and always working drivers...

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Fool" > wrote in message
om...
> I recently purchased a brand new Compaq Presario S6500NX. The
> operating system loaded on the box is Windows XP Home Edition. It is
> also loaded with lot's of trial ware. It is also loaded with lot's of
> adware and spyware, including the evil backweb. I formatted the hard
> drive and reinstalled my own copy of Windows XP Professional. Needless
> to say my old copy of XP didn't have any drivers for the onboard video
> of my new computer. I went to the HP web site to look for the video
> driver. They had the soundcard driver, but no video driver. I opened a
> trouble ticket from the web site. The following is HP's response:
>
> "I see that you would like to have Windows XP professional driver for
> the system video."
>
> "As the drivers are not available online, you can try ordering
> Presario Software Enhancement CD for the system."
>
> More information was given regarding how to "order" this CD. The
> information was useless as I was NOT able to order a Presario Software
> Enhancement CD by calling the number they gave me. My reply to the
> email message was sent days ago and no response has been given.
>
> I can't believe in this day and age a national company would not make
> all hardware drivers for the most popular Windows operating systems
> available for free download over the internet from their support web
> site. It is even harder to believe hey would hold the drivers for
> ransom. I don't remember this kind of cheap extortion racket being run
> by Compaq before they were aquired by Hewlett Packard. I say, "Shame
> on you Carly Fiorina for allowing your company to get away with
> providing such poor customer service". I hope that anyone that was
> thinking about purchasing a Compaq or Hewlett Packard computer will
> think twice about it. If there are any lawyers our there interested in
> sponsoring a class action suit, I'll bet there are plenty of
> plaintiffs available.
>
> Justin Other Fool

Dan
February 27th 04, 01:49 AM
No, actually this is more like:
Lets spy on the customer, put in some stuff that will reduce his gas
mileage to 8 MPG, and we won't give him a jack in case he has a flat tire;
further the jack that we do offer... is the wrong number.

"NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> It gets to be too hard to support. They offer a reasonably reliable
software
> base and expect you to stick with it. Its the only cost effective way to
be
> able to provide support for hundreds of thousands of PC's. It has to be a
> known quantity. If you are an advanced enough user to warrent running XP,
> you were really stupid to buy a presario.
>
> Here is an analogy... you are ****ed off at your car maker because you
> decided to paint your car a different color, and they dont offer seats in
> color that goes with the new paint job.
>
> Boo Hoo...
>
> LC
>
> "Fool" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I recently purchased a brand new Compaq Presario S6500NX. The
> > operating system loaded on the box is Windows XP Home Edition. It is
> > also loaded with lot's of trial ware. It is also loaded with lot's of
> > adware and spyware, including the evil backweb. I formatted the hard
> > drive and reinstalled my own copy of Windows XP Professional. Needless
> > to say my old copy of XP didn't have any drivers for the onboard video
> > of my new computer. I went to the HP web site to look for the video
> > driver. They had the soundcard driver, but no video driver. I opened a
> > trouble ticket from the web site. The following is HP's response:
> >
> > "I see that you would like to have Windows XP professional driver for
> > the system video."
> >
> > "As the drivers are not available online, you can try ordering
> > Presario Software Enhancement CD for the system."
> >
> > More information was given regarding how to "order" this CD. The
> > information was useless as I was NOT able to order a Presario Software
> > Enhancement CD by calling the number they gave me. My reply to the
> > email message was sent days ago and no response has been given.
> >
> > I can't believe in this day and age a national company would not make
> > all hardware drivers for the most popular Windows operating systems
> > available for free download over the internet from their support web
> > site. It is even harder to believe hey would hold the drivers for
> > ransom. I don't remember this kind of cheap extortion racket being run
> > by Compaq before they were aquired by Hewlett Packard. I say, "Shame
> > on you Carly Fiorina for allowing your company to get away with
> > providing such poor customer service". I hope that anyone that was
> > thinking about purchasing a Compaq or Hewlett Packard computer will
> > think twice about it. If there are any lawyers our there interested in
> > sponsoring a class action suit, I'll bet there are plenty of
> > plaintiffs available.
> >
> > Justin Other Fool

Hank Arnold
February 27th 04, 10:56 AM
That too.... It's one reason I like the Optiplex Dells, they are really bare
bones w.r.t software...

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Big Bob Smith" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:06:22 GMT, "Hank Arnold" >
> wrote:
>
> >First of all, there is no difference between XP Home and XP Professional
> >w.r.t. drivers. If you said you had XP Pro, try submitting another ticket
> >with XP Home on it.
> >
> >Actually, IMHO, I never bother with OEM drivers. I just identify the
> >manufacturer and model of hardware and go to the manufacturer's web site.
> >Usually get more current and always working drivers...
>
> Actually I never bother with the preinstall OS crapola .........I just
> format over it (after finding al the non-std drivers) and go about my
> merry way with a nice clean coproarte copy of the OS sans bloat.
>
> YMMMV
> Dont try this at home
> Batteries not included

nut cracker
February 27th 04, 10:50 PM
spy on them ? How did you figure that out ?

NuTs

"Dan" pamcop.net> wrote
in message ...