PDA

View Full Version : Proliant 6400R Does Not Show Up in Windows 2000 as Multiprocessor

CHANGE USERNAME TO westes
February 20th 04, 07:25 PM
We have a Proliant 6400R with four processors installed and 4GB of memory
that we wanted to run Windows 2000 on. We installed Windows, and
configured devices, without a problem. But for some reason the install did
not see the additional processors and installed just a single processor
model under Windows Device Manager. Task Manager clearly shows just one
processor running.

I went to Device Manager and attempted to replace the Single Processor
device with either ACPI Multiprocessor or MPS Multiprocessor. In both
cases, Windows warned me it could not confirm my selection. I decided to
go with MPS Multiprocessor, since ACPI has its own issues, and I was at
least sure there were four processors.

Now when you boot the machine it gets to the end of the "Starting Windows"
update bar, and the system hangs. When I try to do a "Safe Boot" mode it
does not show me any drivers being loaded, but exhibits the same behavior.

I am hoping I have just forgotten some detail about how to configure the
BIOS for multiprocessor use in Windows. How can I made the Proliant 6400R
run multiprocessor under Windows?

Finally, how can I recover this machine to run Windows 2000 again?
Assuming I can even get the recovery console going, is there anything I can
do there for this case to make the system bootable again?

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

John
February 20th 04, 09:59 PM
Which version of windows did you install - server or 'Advanced' server? I
believe you'll need 'Advanced' server to support 4 processors. Since it
won't boot in safe mode, your best bet would probably be to do a parallel
install of win2k or contact Compaq support to walk you through the recovery
console process to fix the HAL files that were changed when you tried to
select the multiprocessor option.

"CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" > wrote in
message ...
> We have a Proliant 6400R with four processors installed and 4GB of memory
> that we wanted to run Windows 2000 on. We installed Windows, and
> configured devices, without a problem. But for some reason the install
did
> not see the additional processors and installed just a single processor
> model under Windows Device Manager. Task Manager clearly shows just one
> processor running.
>
> I went to Device Manager and attempted to replace the Single Processor
> device with either ACPI Multiprocessor or MPS Multiprocessor. In both
> cases, Windows warned me it could not confirm my selection. I decided to
> go with MPS Multiprocessor, since ACPI has its own issues, and I was at
> least sure there were four processors.
>
> Now when you boot the machine it gets to the end of the "Starting Windows"
> update bar, and the system hangs. When I try to do a "Safe Boot" mode
it
> does not show me any drivers being loaded, but exhibits the same behavior.
>
> I am hoping I have just forgotten some detail about how to configure the
> BIOS for multiprocessor use in Windows. How can I made the Proliant
6400R
> run multiprocessor under Windows?
>
> Finally, how can I recover this machine to run Windows 2000 again?
> Assuming I can even get the recovery console going, is there anything I
can
> do there for this case to make the system bootable again?
>
> --
> Will
> westes AT earthbroadcast.com

CHANGE USERNAME TO westes
February 20th 04, 10:18 PM
I installed server not Advanced Server. I thought Server went to four
processors and Advanced went to eight, but even if I had installed just W2K
Professional, I would still see at least two processors in Task Manager not
one, if I had multiprocessor enabled?

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

"John" > wrote in message
. com...
> Which version of windows did you install - server or 'Advanced' server? I
> believe you'll need 'Advanced' server to support 4 processors. Since it
> won't boot in safe mode, your best bet would probably be to do a parallel
> install of win2k or contact Compaq support to walk you through the
recovery
> console process to fix the HAL files that were changed when you tried to
> select the multiprocessor option.

Mark S
February 21st 04, 04:15 AM
I am running a 5500 with quad PPro's and it is supported by Win2K server.
Setup detected that it was a multi CPU, and installed accordingly!

HTH (at least a little bit)

Mark S

"CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" > wrote in
message ...
> I installed server not Advanced Server. I thought Server went to four
> processors and Advanced went to eight, but even if I had installed just
W2K
> Professional, I would still see at least two processors in Task Manager
not
> one, if I had multiprocessor enabled?
>
> --
> Will
> westes AT earthbroadcast.com
>
> "John" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > Which version of windows did you install - server or 'Advanced' server?
> > believe you'll need 'Advanced' server to support 4 processors. Since it
> > won't boot in safe mode, your best bet would probably be to do a
parallel
> > install of win2k or contact Compaq support to walk you through the
> recovery
> > console process to fix the HAL files that were changed when you tried to
> > select the multiprocessor option.

NuT CrAcKeR
February 22nd 04, 08:54 AM
nope...

standard = 4proc/4GB
Advanced = 8proc/8GB

LC

"John" > wrote in message
. com...
> Which version of windows did you install - server or 'Advanced' server? I
> believe you'll need 'Advanced' server to support 4 processors. Since it
> won't boot in safe mode, your best bet would probably be to do a parallel
> install of win2k or contact Compaq support to walk you through the
recovery
> console process to fix the HAL files that were changed when you tried to
> select the multiprocessor option.
>
> "CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" > wrote in
> message ...
> > We have a Proliant 6400R with four processors installed and 4GB of
memory
> > that we wanted to run Windows 2000 on. We installed Windows, and
> > configured devices, without a problem. But for some reason the install
> did
> > not see the additional processors and installed just a single processor
> > model under Windows Device Manager. Task Manager clearly shows just
one
> > processor running.
> >
> > I went to Device Manager and attempted to replace the Single Processor
> > device with either ACPI Multiprocessor or MPS Multiprocessor. In both
> > cases, Windows warned me it could not confirm my selection. I decided
> > go with MPS Multiprocessor, since ACPI has its own issues, and I was at
> > least sure there were four processors.
> >
> > Now when you boot the machine it gets to the end of the "Starting
Windows"
> > update bar, and the system hangs. When I try to do a "Safe Boot" mode
> it
> > does not show me any drivers being loaded, but exhibits the same
behavior.

> > I am hoping I have just forgotten some detail about how to configure the
> > BIOS for multiprocessor use in Windows. How can I made the Proliant
> 6400R
> > run multiprocessor under Windows?
> >
> > Finally, how can I recover this machine to run Windows 2000 again?
> > Assuming I can even get the recovery console going, is there anything I
> can
> > do there for this case to make the system bootable again?
> >
> > --
> > Will
> > westes AT earthbroadcast.com

beldar
February 24th 04, 03:23 AM
CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
> We have a Proliant 6400R with four processors installed and 4GB of memory
> that we wanted to run Windows 2000 on. We installed Windows...

<snip>

> Now when you boot the machine it gets to the end of the "Starting Windows"
> update bar, and the system hangs.

simple solution
1. take ballpeen hammer in dominant hand
2. apply hammer repeatedly to all Micro$ith virusware CD's lying about
the house
3. install Linux
4. have a much better day