PDA

View Full Version : how to make proliant 5500 boot from cdrom?

pheonix1t
January 16th 04, 06:50 AM
hello,
I have a server I have to work on running novell. I have to erase it
and install linux. I have the smartstart cd version 5.50. How can I
make the server boot from the cd? I put the cd in and rebooted several
times, I hit the F10 key but when I do that I get error...something
about not finding a valid system. So I guess the compaq service
partition isn't installed...but I don't care! I want to use the
smartstart CD to erase everything and start with a clean system. But it
won't let me!!!
It's a stock 5500, compaq IDE cdrom....all stardard stuff.

Thanks,

Oskar

ps. I guy from a data center told me there is a key combination to hit
to tell the server to boot from the Cdrom instead of the scsi
disks...but I don't remember that key combo. Does anyone know about this?

Gereon Wenzel
January 16th 04, 03:42 PM
Hi,
> hello,
> I have a server I have to work on running novell. I have to erase it
> and install linux. I have the smartstart cd version 5.50. How can I
> make the server boot from the cd? I put the cd in and rebooted several
> times, I hit the F10 key but when I do that I get error...something
> about not finding a valid system. So I guess the compaq service
> partition isn't installed...but I don't care! I want to use the
> smartstart CD to erase everything and start with a clean system. But it
> won't let me!!!
> It's a stock 5500, compaq IDE cdrom....all stardard stuff.

If it doesn't start the CD-Setup after hitting F1 (continue) there are two ways:
- try system erase switch on the systemboard.
- generate Setup Floppy disks on a separate system
(the "system erase" disk can be set up using Diskbuilder as well)

> ps. I guy from a data center told me there is a key combination to hit
> to tell the server to boot from the Cdrom instead of the scsi
> disks...but I don't remember that key combo. Does anyone know about this?

Never heard about this?

Gereon

NuT CrAcKeR
January 17th 04, 01:45 AM
"Gereon Wenzel" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
> > hello,
> > I have a server I have to work on running novell. I have to erase it
> > and install linux. I have the smartstart cd version 5.50. How can I
> > make the server boot from the cd? I put the cd in and rebooted several
> > times, I hit the F10 key but when I do that I get error...something
> > about not finding a valid system. So I guess the compaq service
> > partition isn't installed...but I don't care! I want to use the
> > smartstart CD to erase everything and start with a clean system. But it
> > won't let me!!!
> > It's a stock 5500, compaq IDE cdrom....all stardard stuff.
>
> If it doesn't start the CD-Setup after hitting F1 (continue) there are two
ways:
> - try system erase switch on the systemboard.
> - generate Setup Floppy disks on a separate system
> (the "system erase" disk can be set up using Diskbuilder as well)
>
> > ps. I guy from a data center told me there is a key combination to hit
> > to tell the server to boot from the Cdrom instead of the scsi
> > disks...but I don't remember that key combo. Does anyone know about
this?

> Never heard about this?

I have been working with compaq servers for a long, long time... and I have
never heard any such thing before.

LC
MCSE (3.51, 4.0 + I, 2000) + Compaq ASE since 1997 (4.0 & 2000)

lingling
January 17th 04, 03:28 AM
Hi guy,

I have Proliant 5500 and i lost my Smart CD, can you send me the ISO image.
I have been talked to Compaq support and no help. Hope you can do that.

Alan

"NuT CrAcKeR" > 撰寫於郵件新聞

> "Gereon Wenzel" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi,
> > > hello,
> > > I have a server I have to work on running novell. I have to erase it
> > > and install linux. I have the smartstart cd version 5.50. How can I
> > > make the server boot from the cd? I put the cd in and rebooted
several
> > > times, I hit the F10 key but when I do that I get error...something
> > > about not finding a valid system. So I guess the compaq service
> > > partition isn't installed...but I don't care! I want to use the
> > > smartstart CD to erase everything and start with a clean system. But
it
> > > won't let me!!!
> > > It's a stock 5500, compaq IDE cdrom....all stardard stuff.
> >
> > If it doesn't start the CD-Setup after hitting F1 (continue) there are
two
> ways:
> > - try system erase switch on the systemboard.
> > - generate Setup Floppy disks on a separate system
> > (the "system erase" disk can be set up using Diskbuilder as well)
> >
> > > ps. I guy from a data center told me there is a key combination to
hit
> > > to tell the server to boot from the Cdrom instead of the scsi
> > > disks...but I don't remember that key combo. Does anyone know about
> this?
> >
> > Never heard about this?
> >
> I have been working with compaq servers for a long, long time... and I
have
> never heard any such thing before.
>
> LC
> MCSE (3.51, 4.0 + I, 2000) + Compaq ASE since 1997 (4.0 & 2000)

NuT CrAcKeR
January 18th 04, 06:33 PM
its too big to "send you"... i thought you would have understood that by
now.

LC