PDA

View Full Version : Free (if you pay shipping) --(3) old SCSI Compaq hotswap trays - DRV/TRY 2.1GBWD w/ Seagate ST32550W drives

R. Asby Dragon
January 1st 04, 08:34 AM
Feel free to slap me with a trout if these are worthless--- but maybe somebody
has an old server box as a mailserver that could use them .

Somebody dumped this '96 era P60 server in my driveway; boot tray/drive missing
but it did have uses to me-- needed some long 68 internal cables and it was full
of (16) 32M SIMMs for donation machines.

Don't laugh too loud; the side panels are already recycled as radio mounts at
wurk; the 12X CDR drive is in a donation machine; and I raided all those 2 ft
drive-power cables with ferrite beads to clean up my own machine!

The drives are probably good Barracudas; plugged them into my system and they
didn't make any strange noises beyond their usual loud whines but didn't surface
test them with my SCSI hostcard as I don't have any use for them .

The trays are probably the "goodie item" they allow hotswap of standard SCSI-2W
drives if you have a Compaq box that uses them.

You want'um-- shipping is all I want. Even better-- I'll swap shipping for any
version of 98/98SE OEM/Upgrade OS; even 98 to 98SE upgrade disks. I'm always
looking for legal OS for donation boxes.

Unmunge r a d i o p r o <a t> k e n d r a < d o t > c o m to reply

DE
January 1st 04, 06:30 PM
R. Asby Dragon wrote:
> Feel free to slap me with a trout if these are worthless--- but maybe somebody
> has an old server box as a mailserver that could use them .
>
> Somebody dumped this '96 era P60 server in my driveway; boot tray/drive missing
> but it did have uses to me-- needed some long 68 internal cables and it was full
> of (16) 32M SIMMs for donation machines.

I don't want 'em (sorry) but just wanted to say "good for you" or thanks
or whatever; there are a lot of people who would be thrilled to have
older machines (OK, you gotta do Pentium for most things, it's true) and
while some people turn up their noses at P-IIs and toss them out, they
make great machines for students who can't afford computers otherwise, and
for many non-profit agencies, etc.

So I hope others are following your example where they can, esp. w/things
that are hard to find (which are, generally, older memory, monitors that
actually work, sometimes decent printers.)

--
DE

Big Al
January 2nd 04, 02:20 AM
DE wrote:

> R. Asby Dragon wrote:
>> Feel free to slap me with a trout if these are worthless--- but maybe
>> somebody has an old server box as a mailserver that could use them .
>>
>> Somebody dumped this '96 era P60 server in my driveway; boot
>> tray/drive missing but it did have uses to me-- needed some long 68
>> internal cables and it was full of (16) 32M SIMMs for donation
>> machines.
>
> I don't want 'em (sorry) but just wanted to say "good for you" or
> thanks
> or whatever; there are a lot of people who would be thrilled to have
> older machines (OK, you gotta do Pentium for most things, it's true)
> and while some people turn up their noses at P-IIs and toss them out,
> they make great machines for students who can't afford computers
> otherwise, and for many non-profit agencies, etc.
>
> So I hope others are following your example where they can, esp.
> w/things that are hard to find (which are, generally, older memory,
> monitors that actually work, sometimes decent printers.)

I will will second DE's praise for your efforts. I try to do a little of
that but have bad luck finding needy people to give my extra systems
to, like the 5 or more I have now. If anyone has a worthy cause needing
a computer, reply here and I will contact you and give you some help.

Big Al in Seattle