PDA

View Full Version : Proliant 2500 Slackware 9.1 kernel 2.6.0

Guy Macon
December 29th 03, 09:37 AM
Tony Bennett > says...

>Compiled and installed new kernel, made modules and generated modules.conf.
>
>When booting:
>
>boot: 2.6.0
>BIOS data check sucessful
>Uncompressing Linux ... OK, booting the kernel.
>
>And it hangs
>
>Any help please.
>
>Oh yes
>
>2500 dual PPro
>1024M memory
>Smart2

Assuming that it worked before the kernel change, I would
suspect that the new kernel doesn't have support for the
Compaq Smart2 RAID array and the old one did.

http://www.tojabr.com/lxr/http/source/Documentation/cpqarray.txt
says the following:

"You need to build a new kernel to use this device, even if
you want to use a loadable module. Apply the patch..."

"If you want to use an EISA controller you'll have to supply some
insmod/lilo parameters. If the driver is compiled into the kernel,
you must give it the controller's IO port address at boot time"

"You'll need to use a modified lilo if you want to boot from a
disk array. Its simply a version of lilo with some code added
to tell it how to understand Compaq diskarray devices."

"You need some entries in /dev for the ida device. The mkdev.ida
script can make device nodes for you automatic..."

-cpqarray.txt

Perhaps one of these steps wasn't done?

--
Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire.
Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you

Tony Bennett
December 29th 03, 10:13 AM
Compiled and installed new kernel, made modules and generated modules.conf.

When booting:

boot: 2.6.0
BIOS data check sucessful
Uncompressing Linux ... OK, booting the kernel.

And it hangs

Any help please.

Oh yes

2500 dual PPro
1024M memory
Smart2

Thanks

Tony

Peter Christy
December 29th 03, 05:12 PM
Tony Bennett wrote:

> Compiled and installed new kernel, made modules and generated modules.conf.

2.6 doesn't use modules.conf. It uses modprobe.conf!

--
Pete

(make the obvious amendments to reply!)

VinceV
December 29th 03, 06:46 PM
Tony Bennett > wrote in message >...
> Compiled and installed new kernel, made modules and generated modules.conf.
> When booting:
> boot: 2.6.0
> BIOS data check sucessful
> Uncompressing Linux ... OK, booting the kernel.
> And it hangs
> 2500 dual PPro
> 1024M memory
> Smart2
> Thanks
> Tony

Tony,

Did you define memory as part of the kernel config? Does adding
mem=exactmap [email protected] [email protected] to the boot prompt in lilo or
grub correct the problem?

VV

Tony Bennett
December 29th 03, 10:54 PM
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:46:03 -0800, VinceV wrote:

> Tony Bennett > wrote in message >...
>> Compiled and installed new kernel, made modules and generated modules.conf.
>> When booting:
>> boot: 2.6.0
>> BIOS data check sucessful
>> Uncompressing Linux ... OK, booting the kernel.
>> And it hangs
>> 2500 dual PPro
>> 1024M memory
>> Smart2
>> Thanks
>> Tony
>
> Tony,
>
> Did you define memory as part of the kernel config? Does adding
> mem=exactmap [email protected] [email protected] to the boot prompt in lilo or
> grub correct the problem?
>
> VV

Vince

Hi, yes, did that. Still not booting.