PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Prosignia 500

Ryan Tremblay
December 22nd 03, 05:35 PM
I have a 150Mhz Prosignia 500 server that I got from work (they got rid of
it) and it has a HP Surestore Tape 6000 drive in it which I have been using.
Now I am having trouble getting it to read tapes. I went to HP's website
and downloaded new firmware for the tape drive but when I run it in DOS I
get no ASPI Manager I downloaded the FWS2ASPI.sys from compaq so it would
detect the board and the drives (CD ROM is SCSI also) it finds everything
OKbut the firmware program still says NO ASPI Manager. It says something
about HBA in the readme of the firmware readme but I don't know what that
means. If anyone knows of another ASPI Manager I can use with my computer
that would let the program update my firmware I would appreciate it.

Ryan

nut cracker
December 22nd 03, 06:02 PM
from DOS ????

eeeewwww

HBA usually means Host Bus Adapter. This can range from some SCSI card...
and more recently has become syonymous with Fibre Channel controllers.

LC

"Ryan Tremblay" > wrote in message
> I have a 150Mhz Prosignia 500 server that I got from work (they got rid of
> it) and it has a HP Surestore Tape 6000 drive in it which I have been
using.
> Now I am having trouble getting it to read tapes. I went to HP's website
> and downloaded new firmware for the tape drive but when I run it in DOS I
> get no ASPI Manager I downloaded the FWS2ASPI.sys from compaq so it would
> detect the board and the drives (CD ROM is SCSI also) it finds everything
> OKbut the firmware program still says NO ASPI Manager. It says something
> about HBA in the readme of the firmware readme but I don't know what that
> means. If anyone knows of another ASPI Manager I can use with my computer
> that would let the program update my firmware I would appreciate it.
>
> Ryan

Gereon Wenzel
January 16th 04, 03:19 PM
Hi Ryan,

"Ryan Tremblay" > wrote in message >...
> I have a 150Mhz Prosignia 500 server that I got from work (they got rid of
> it) and it has a HP Surestore Tape 6000 drive in it which I have been using.
> Now I am having trouble getting it to read tapes. I went to HP's website
> and downloaded new firmware for the tape drive but when I run it in DOS I
> get no ASPI Manager I downloaded the FWS2ASPI.sys from compaq so it would
> detect the board and the drives (CD ROM is SCSI also) it finds everything
> OKbut the firmware program still says NO ASPI Manager. It says something
> about HBA in the readme of the firmware readme but I don't know what that
> means. If anyone knows of another ASPI Manager I can use with my computer
> that would let the program update my firmware I would appreciate it.

As stated before HBA means Host bus adapter.
The scsi drivers you downloaded are correct for this machine.
The Prosignia 500 uses an NCR53C710 SCSI chipset which isn't very
common apart from Compaq machines.
The fault is on the HP flashing software which may work with an
adaptec controller and adaptec ASPI drivers only?
Hp used to build their onboard SCSI around adaptec chips, while Compaq
preferred NCR (Symbios) for quite some time.
If you (temporary) install an Adaptec it will possibly work?
The 174x and 274x EISA Adapter are usually availiable very cheap of
epay,
and enable you to use the onboard SCSI exclusive for the HDD for
increased performance.

Gereon Wenzel