PDA

View Full Version : Q: adding hard drives to Compaq DL380 - can I add them to system drive? C:\

rod
December 16th 03, 08:49 PM
hello,
I have a Win2k box that is running out of hard drive space on the C:\ drive.
The C:\ drive is actually two drives (Raid 1) on the Compaq DL380.
Can I add 2 more drives and continue the Raid 1 protection but not lose any
data on the C:\ drive?

thanks!

Sharmon
December 17th 03, 07:06 AM
If you are using the 5i plus why don't you add 2 drives and just
migrate the mirror to a RAID 0 + 1 ?

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:49:30 -0600, "rod" > wrote:

>hello,
>I have a Win2k box that is running out of hard drive space on the C:\ drive.
>The C:\ drive is actually two drives (Raid 1) on the Compaq DL380.
>Can I add 2 more drives and continue the Raid 1 protection but not lose any
>data on the C:\ drive?
>
>thanks!

Packrat
December 17th 03, 04:26 PM
"rod" > wrote in message . ..
> hello,
> I have a Win2k box that is running out of hard drive space on the C:\ drive.
> The C:\ drive is actually two drives (Raid 1) on the Compaq DL380.
> Can I add 2 more drives and continue the Raid 1 protection but not lose any
> data on the C:\ drive?
>
> thanks!

The answer is yes. Depending on the size of the drive, it may take up more than
an additional slot, so if you wanted to add additional drives, there may be
a problem. I do remember them being a tad bit expensive!

- pack

rod
December 23rd 03, 05:11 PM
I am not sure what you mean....
It is a raid 1 right now and I just want to expand the volume, but i don't
want to lose the operating system or data on the raid 1 volume.

thanks!

"Sharmon @user.com>" <George<nospam> wrote in message
> If you are using the 5i plus why don't you add 2 drives and just
> migrate the mirror to a RAID 0 + 1 ?
>
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:49:30 -0600, "rod" > wrote:
>
> >hello,
> >I have a Win2k box that is running out of hard drive space on the C:\
drive.
> >The C:\ drive is actually two drives (Raid 1) on the Compaq DL380.
> >Can I add 2 more drives and continue the Raid 1 protection but not lose
any
> >data on the C:\ drive?
> >
> >thanks!

Sharmon
December 23rd 03, 10:27 PM
RAID 1 is a mirrored set , RAID 0 +1 is 4 or more drives with the
first two or more drives drives striped then this striped set mirrored
onto the second equal amount of drives creating twice the mirrored
space. You can create a second array from the 2 extra drives but
without bridging the two arrays you would not be able to make it into
one big "C" drive.

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:11:26 -0600, "rod" > wrote:

>I am not sure what you mean....
>It is a raid 1 right now and I just want to expand the volume, but i don't
>want to lose the operating system or data on the raid 1 volume.
>
>thanks!
>

>"Sharmon @user.com>" <George<nospam> wrote in message
>> If you are using the 5i plus why don't you add 2 drives and just
>> migrate the mirror to a RAID 0 + 1 ?
>>
>> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:49:30 -0600, "rod" > wrote:
>>
>> >hello,
>> >I have a Win2k box that is running out of hard drive space on the C:\
>drive.
>> >The C:\ drive is actually two drives (Raid 1) on the Compaq DL380.
>> >Can I add 2 more drives and continue the Raid 1 protection but not lose
>any
>> >data on the C:\ drive?
>> >
>> >thanks!

rod
January 5th 04, 08:10 PM
thank you for the information!
I have not tried creating a RAID 0 + 1 or bridging two arrays using the
SmartStart CD....

Where could I get the steps/directions on how to do those things?

I could not find any documentation about the Server and I only have the
SmartStart CD. (I inherited this server from another IT administrator).

thanks!
rod