PDA

View Full Version : I have a Proliant 2500 and I don't know how to install it.

Mister Do
December 12th 03, 04:54 AM
Hi everyone!

I had a deal and I bought a proliant 2500, 2 ppro 200mhz with 480 ram, 2
hot-plug 9.1 HD. My problem is simple to explain, I am very confortable
with usual PC, installing NT, formating, partitionning and all that, but
with IDE hard drive in desktop machine. It's the first time I'm in front of
a real server and no OS seems to be on it. I've searched Compaq site and
tried a few things to set-up the harddrives but it seems like it only sees
one HD.

What I want to know is, what should I install so that the SCSI card figure
out that I have 2 HD in it. I am not dumb, but I just have no resource
around to help me start this nice babe..

technical stuff:
At boot I can read that it's an E24 bios
I also have
Slot 6 Compaq Smart-2DH array controller (rev C, v4.06) 1 logical drive
1784-Slot 6 Drive Array Drive Failure
the following SCSI drive(s) should be replaced
SCSI port 1 : SCSI IDs 1,2,3,4

Scanning for SCSI devices
No SCSI devices detected.

it offers me to continue (F1) or to start the system partitionning with F10.
Needless to say that The system partitionning isn't startable and I have no
idea where to find that.

When I look at the hard drives, I have a 9.1 gig in slot 0 with the green
light on beside a cylinder icon
and in slot 1 I have another 9.1 gig with an orange light on beside a
crossed-cylinder icon

Any suggestion ?

- Mister Do

Bill B
December 12th 03, 11:24 AM
to start with the yellow light means that the drive is bad

you will need a smart start CD to set up the system. once thats done then the
rest is easy (just like a regular pc)

bill

Mister Do wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I had a deal and I bought a proliant 2500, 2 ppro 200mhz with 480 ram, 2
> hot-plug 9.1 HD. My problem is simple to explain, I am very confortable
> with usual PC, installing NT, formating, partitionning and all that, but
> with IDE hard drive in desktop machine. It's the first time I'm in front of
> a real server and no OS seems to be on it. I've searched Compaq site and
> tried a few things to set-up the harddrives but it seems like it only sees
> one HD.
>
> What I want to know is, what should I install so that the SCSI card figure
> out that I have 2 HD in it. I am not dumb, but I just have no resource
> around to help me start this nice babe..
>
> technical stuff:
> At boot I can read that it's an E24 bios
> I also have
> Slot 6 Compaq Smart-2DH array controller (rev C, v4.06) 1 logical drive
> 1784-Slot 6 Drive Array Drive Failure
> the following SCSI drive(s) should be replaced
> SCSI port 1 : SCSI IDs 1,2,3,4
>
> Scanning for SCSI devices
> No SCSI devices detected.
>
> it offers me to continue (F1) or to start the system partitionning with F10.
> Needless to say that The system partitionning isn't startable and I have no
> idea where to find that.
>
> When I look at the hard drives, I have a 9.1 gig in slot 0 with the green
> light on beside a cylinder icon
> and in slot 1 I have another 9.1 gig with an orange light on beside a
> crossed-cylinder icon
>
> Any suggestion ?
>
> - Mister Do

Mister Do
December 16th 03, 02:02 AM
I think my next question is obvious. Where can I get a smart start CD for
the proliant 2500 ?

- Mister Do

"Bill B" > wrote in message
> to start with the yellow light means that the drive is bad
>
> you will need a smart start CD to set up the system. once thats done then
the
> rest is easy (just like a regular pc)
>
> bill

VinceV
December 16th 03, 05:10 PM
"Mister Do" > wrote in message >...
> I think my next question is obvious. Where can I get a smart start CD for
> the proliant 2500 ?

You can download the individual components from compaq.

System erase utility:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17918.html

System configuration Utility:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html

Systems Management Toolkit:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/9100.html

Compaq array diagnostic utility:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/15125.html

The starting point for all drivers, utilities, and patches for the
Proliant 2500 is:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/1113.html?submit.y=5&submit.x=2&lang=en&cc=us