PDA

View Full Version : Config tools for fibre based RA4x0 systems

NuT CrAcKeR
November 29th 03, 05:27 AM
I know some of you guys have the answer...

I am beginning to build a scalable storage system using RA400 and RA4100
chassis, compaq fibre hubs (switches when i have more money) and Emulax 1Gb
HBA's.

The SAN/Shared Storage experience i have pertains to EMC's with McData
fabrics. It is nothing like what I am trying to build on my own.

So.. what tools/applications do I need to pull this off. I imagine that
there is some kind of tool for creating partitions on the storage systems,
and then presenting them to particular systems to use. What's it called? Is
in included in the HPaq smartstart CD's... or will i have to either buy it
from HPaq, or eBay for it?

Any pointers are appreciated.

LC

Larry
November 29th 03, 05:49 AM
> What's it called? Is
> in included in the HPaq smartstart CD's... or will i have to either buy it
> from HPaq, or eBay for it?
I have Smart Start 5.0 (and the Management utilities) and don't recall
seeing anything like that on there.

(`._. rr ._.)

"NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> I know some of you guys have the answer...
>
> I am beginning to build a scalable storage system using RA400 and RA4100
> chassis, compaq fibre hubs (switches when i have more money) and Emulax
1Gb
> HBA's.
>
> The SAN/Shared Storage experience i have pertains to EMC's with McData
> fabrics. It is nothing like what I am trying to build on my own.
>
> So.. what tools/applications do I need to pull this off. I imagine that
> there is some kind of tool for creating partitions on the storage systems,
> and then presenting them to particular systems to use. What's it called?
Is
> in included in the HPaq smartstart CD's... or will i have to either buy it
> from HPaq, or eBay for it?
>
> Any pointers are appreciated.
>
> LC

Rod R.
December 1st 03, 02:05 PM
The RA4x00 are Smart Array based fibre storage units. You can use the
Smart Array Configuration Utility ( CPQACU on SmartStart CDs) to configure.

"NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> I know some of you guys have the answer...
>
> I am beginning to build a scalable storage system using RA400 and RA4100
> chassis, compaq fibre hubs (switches when i have more money) and Emulax
1Gb
> HBA's.
>
> The SAN/Shared Storage experience i have pertains to EMC's with McData
> fabrics. It is nothing like what I am trying to build on my own.
>
> So.. what tools/applications do I need to pull this off. I imagine that
> there is some kind of tool for creating partitions on the storage systems,
> and then presenting them to particular systems to use. What's it called?
Is
> in included in the HPaq smartstart CD's... or will i have to either buy it
> from HPaq, or eBay for it?
>
> Any pointers are appreciated.
>
> LC

NuT CrAcKeR
December 1st 03, 08:51 PM
Are there any specific HBA requirements? Can i use Emulex LP7000 E's with
them? Since its just a WWN (world wide name) mapping to a volume, I imagine
it would be rather easy. The doc i found (see below) showed an SA3200 in the
ACU (how that connects to a fibre based RA4x00 i will never know).. but
didnt say how to get to the part of the tool that controls the WWN mapping
to various volumes in the chassis.

I did find a doc on SAN's on the HPaq site that said the ACU (4.80 or
higher) was needed, but nothing about device compatability.

Thanks,

LC

"Rod R." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s54...
> The RA4x00 are Smart Array based fibre storage units. You can use the
> Smart Array Configuration Utility ( CPQACU on SmartStart CDs) to
configure.

> "NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> > I know some of you guys have the answer...
> >
> > I am beginning to build a scalable storage system using RA400 and RA4100
> > chassis, compaq fibre hubs (switches when i have more money) and Emulax
> 1Gb
> > HBA's.
> >
> > The SAN/Shared Storage experience i have pertains to EMC's with McData
> > fabrics. It is nothing like what I am trying to build on my own.
> >
> > So.. what tools/applications do I need to pull this off. I imagine that
> > there is some kind of tool for creating partitions on the storage
systems,
> > and then presenting them to particular systems to use. What's it called?
> Is
> > in included in the HPaq smartstart CD's... or will i have to either buy
it
> > from HPaq, or eBay for it?
> >
> > Any pointers are appreciated.
> >
> > LC

Rod R.
December 1st 03, 10:10 PM
LP7000s are quite old. Might work. Can't hurt in trying?

RA4x00s are quite old and use a SmartArray controller internally, but uses
fibre channel to connect to a server's host bus adapter. The Array
Confguration Utility is used for all Smart Array based storage including
SmartArray 3200's and Raid Array 4x00's. Just run the ACU, if it sees the
RA4x00, you can configure it.

"NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> Are there any specific HBA requirements? Can i use Emulex LP7000 E's with
> them? Since its just a WWN (world wide name) mapping to a volume, I
imagine
> it would be rather easy. The doc i found (see below) showed an SA3200 in
the
> ACU (how that connects to a fibre based RA4x00 i will never know).. but
> didnt say how to get to the part of the tool that controls the WWN mapping
> to various volumes in the chassis.
>
> I did find a doc on SAN's on the HPaq site that said the ACU (4.80 or
> higher) was needed, but nothing about device compatability.
>
> Thanks,
>
> LC
>
> "Rod R." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s54...
> > The RA4x00 are Smart Array based fibre storage units. You can use the
> > Smart Array Configuration Utility ( CPQACU on SmartStart CDs) to
> configure.
> >

> > "NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> > > I know some of you guys have the answer...
> > >
> > > I am beginning to build a scalable storage system using RA400 and
RA4100
> > > chassis, compaq fibre hubs (switches when i have more money) and
Emulax
> > 1Gb
> > > HBA's.
> > >
> > > The SAN/Shared Storage experience i have pertains to EMC's with McData
> > > fabrics. It is nothing like what I am trying to build on my own.
> > >
> > > So.. what tools/applications do I need to pull this off. I imagine
that
> > > there is some kind of tool for creating partitions on the storage
> systems,
> > > and then presenting them to particular systems to use. What's it
called?
> > Is
> > > in included in the HPaq smartstart CD's... or will i have to either
buy
> it
> > > from HPaq, or eBay for it?
> > >
> > > Any pointers are appreciated.
> > >
> > > LC

nut cracker
January 6th 04, 11:59 PM
Using the emulex LP7000e, I can see the RA4000 controller and configure it..
but I cannot update the firmware to 2.60 so I can have selective
presentation to WWN's....

I am waiting for a Compaq FCAL controller... maybe that will make the
difference.

Ciao,

LC

"Rod R." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s02...
> LP7000s are quite old. Might work. Can't hurt in trying?
>
> RA4x00s are quite old and use a SmartArray controller internally, but uses
> fibre channel to connect to a server's host bus adapter. The Array
> Confguration Utility is used for all Smart Array based storage including
> SmartArray 3200's and Raid Array 4x00's. Just run the ACU, if it sees
the
> RA4x00, you can configure it.
>

> "NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> > Are there any specific HBA requirements? Can i use Emulex LP7000 E's
with
> > them? Since its just a WWN (world wide name) mapping to a volume, I
> imagine
> > it would be rather easy. The doc i found (see below) showed an SA3200 in
> the
> > ACU (how that connects to a fibre based RA4x00 i will never know).. but
> > didnt say how to get to the part of the tool that controls the WWN
mapping
> > to various volumes in the chassis.
> >
> > I did find a doc on SAN's on the HPaq site that said the ACU (4.80 or
> > higher) was needed, but nothing about device compatability.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > LC
> >
> > "Rod R." > wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]_s54...
> > > The RA4x00 are Smart Array based fibre storage units. You can use
the
> > > Smart Array Configuration Utility ( CPQACU on SmartStart CDs) to
> > configure.

> RA4100
> Emulax
> > > 1Gb

McData

> that
> > systems,
> called?
> > > Is
> buy
> > it

nut cracker
January 7th 04, 09:29 PM
UPS says the controller should be delivered on friday...

will play with it this weekend.

LC

"nut cracker" > wrote in message
> Using the emulex LP7000e, I can see the RA4000 controller and configure
it..
> but I cannot update the firmware to 2.60 so I can have selective
> presentation to WWN's....
>
> I am waiting for a Compaq FCAL controller... maybe that will make the
> difference.
>
> Ciao,
>
> LC
>
> "Rod R." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s02...
> > LP7000s are quite old. Might work. Can't hurt in trying?
> >
> > RA4x00s are quite old and use a SmartArray controller internally, but
uses
> > fibre channel to connect to a server's host bus adapter. The Array
> > Confguration Utility is used for all Smart Array based storage including
> > SmartArray 3200's and Raid Array 4x00's. Just run the ACU, if it sees
> the
> > RA4x00, you can configure it.
> >

> > "NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> > > Are there any specific HBA requirements? Can i use Emulex LP7000 E's
> with
> > > them? Since its just a WWN (world wide name) mapping to a volume, I
> > imagine
> > > it would be rather easy. The doc i found (see below) showed an SA3200
in
> > the
> > > ACU (how that connects to a fibre based RA4x00 i will never know)..
but
> > > didnt say how to get to the part of the tool that controls the WWN
> mapping
> > > to various volumes in the chassis.
> > >
> > > I did find a doc on SAN's on the HPaq site that said the ACU (4.80 or
> > > higher) was needed, but nothing about device compatability.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > LC
> > >
> > > "Rod R." > wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]_s54...
> the
> > > configure.

> > RA4100
> > Emulax

> McData

> > that
> > > systems,
> > called?
> > buy
> > > it

szentthomas
December 11th 04, 02:34 AM
I need to know - did you ever get the system to work? I am building a
cluster with an RA4100 and need to know what HBA's to use and how to
configure it as well. Please get back to me soon as this is due soon -
Thanks
Szent Thomas