PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Proliant 2500 and Redhat Linux 9


Andy Kallenbach
November 19th 03, 10:18 PM
Tis been a rough go at getting Redhat linux 9 installed on a Compaq
Proliant 2500.

Couple of tips for solving installation problems, SMP issues, and X
Server video problems.

1. Installation, Memory Issues, and Kernel Panics.....

A widely known problem for linux and PPro machines exists due to
incorrect memory reporting.

Installation should be started using...
linux text mem=exactmap [email protected] [email protected]

Lilo or Grub config should include memory settings...
add -> mem=exactmap [email protected]

This problem is pretty common and finding more information on the
issue should be easy.

2. SMP, Failed Processors, and Multi-Processor voodoo

If SMP is not working, the BIOS OS setting may need changing. I first
had the machine setup with Other as an OS, but the second processor
would not work under a linux smp kernel. Changing it to Netware 4.1
(SMP) fixed the problem.

3. Cirrus Logic, GD543x, and Video Garbage

X windows displayed garbage on different windows. Try adding the
following line to the XF86Config file under the device section for
your video card...

Option "NoAccel" "true"

I still have a garbage screen when logging out of X Windows, but I
have yet to find screen garbage issues when running X.

Hopefully this can improve the s/n ratio and help other Compaq 2500
users!

Andy Kallenbach

VinceV
November 20th 03, 05:17 PM
(Andy Kallenbach) wrote in message >...
> Installation should be started using...
> linux text mem=exactmap [email protected] [email protected]

A small nit to pick....
The line needs to be mem=exactmap [email protected] mem=(Total ram - 1m)@1m
For your example of 128 meg the line should be
mem=exactmap [email protected] [email protected]

Your example tells the Kernel that the system has 129 megs of ram
installed.

> 2. SMP, Failed Processors, and Multi-Processor voodoo
>
> If SMP is not working, the BIOS OS setting may need changing. I first
> had the machine setup with Other as an OS, but the second processor
> would not work under a linux smp kernel. Changing it to Netware 4.1
> (SMP) fixed the problem.

It works with the linux setting too. The key is getting the APIC
setting to table - Full Mapped in bios.

Its also very helpful to compile your own kernel once the system is
installed. I have had good success with the Gentoo distribution
(www.gentoo.org). Their approach is to offer 3 install stages (1 for
total compile as you go, 2 compile some, use packages, 3 install from
packages using portage).

> 3. Cirrus Logic, GD543x, and Video Garbage
> X windows displayed garbage on different windows. Try adding the
> following line to the XF86Config file under the device section for
> your video card...
> Option "NoAccel" "true"

I don't run Xwindows on servers. Fortunately vi still edits all the
config files :)

VinceV

Marco Drie
November 20th 03, 07:42 PM
Thx for your clear review of installing linux on proliant machine 2500..I
have tried before but never worked i think it`s to much work to get it
running ..Had tried to run a debian version on it without luck...
Pitty no website with some screens how to install it...;-(

greetings marco
"VinceV" > wrote in message
om...
> (Andy Kallenbach) wrote in message
>...
> > Installation should be started using...
> > linux text mem=exactmap [email protected] [email protected]
>
> A small nit to pick....
> The line needs to be mem=exactmap [email protected] mem=(Total ram - 1m)@1m
> For your example of 128 meg the line should be
> mem=exactmap [email protected] [email protected]
>
> Your example tells the Kernel that the system has 129 megs of ram
> installed.
>
> > 2. SMP, Failed Processors, and Multi-Processor voodoo
> >
> > If SMP is not working, the BIOS OS setting may need changing. I first
> > had the machine setup with Other as an OS, but the second processor
> > would not work under a linux smp kernel. Changing it to Netware 4.1
> > (SMP) fixed the problem.
>
> It works with the linux setting too. The key is getting the APIC
> setting to table - Full Mapped in bios.
>
> Its also very helpful to compile your own kernel once the system is
> installed. I have had good success with the Gentoo distribution
> (www.gentoo.org). Their approach is to offer 3 install stages (1 for
> total compile as you go, 2 compile some, use packages, 3 install from
> packages using portage).
>
> > 3. Cirrus Logic, GD543x, and Video Garbage
> > X windows displayed garbage on different windows. Try adding the
> > following line to the XF86Config file under the device section for
> > your video card...
> > Option "NoAccel" "true"
>
> I don't run Xwindows on servers. Fortunately vi still edits all the
> config files :)
>
> VinceV

NuT CrAcKeR
November 20th 03, 08:29 PM
Just bear in mind, for all pre-PII processor architectures, the table
mapping in the SCU needs to be FULL TABLE, MAPPED. This applies to P5's and
PPro's.

To get there, press CTRL + A at the first screen when you enter the F10
utilities.

LC

"VinceV" > wrote in message
om...
> (Andy Kallenbach) wrote in message
>...
> > Installation should be started using...
> > linux text mem=exactmap [email protected] [email protected]
>
> A small nit to pick....
> The line needs to be mem=exactmap [email protected] mem=(Total ram - 1m)@1m
> For your example of 128 meg the line should be
> mem=exactmap [email protected] [email protected]
>
> Your example tells the Kernel that the system has 129 megs of ram
> installed.
>
> > 2. SMP, Failed Processors, and Multi-Processor voodoo
> >
> > If SMP is not working, the BIOS OS setting may need changing. I first
> > had the machine setup with Other as an OS, but the second processor
> > would not work under a linux smp kernel. Changing it to Netware 4.1
> > (SMP) fixed the problem.
>
> It works with the linux setting too. The key is getting the APIC
> setting to table - Full Mapped in bios.
>
> Its also very helpful to compile your own kernel once the system is
> installed. I have had good success with the Gentoo distribution
> (www.gentoo.org). Their approach is to offer 3 install stages (1 for
> total compile as you go, 2 compile some, use packages, 3 install from
> packages using portage).
>
> > 3. Cirrus Logic, GD543x, and Video Garbage
> > X windows displayed garbage on different windows. Try adding the
> > following line to the XF86Config file under the device section for
> > your video card...
> > Option "NoAccel" "true"
>
> I don't run Xwindows on servers. Fortunately vi still edits all the
> config files :)
>
> VinceV