PDA

View Full Version : freeBSD: Install hangs at /stand/sysinstall running as init on vty0

VinceV
November 12th 03, 06:31 PM
Has anyone successfully installed freeBSD on a proliant 2500?

I have tried several releases of the OS with the same result. Thinks
appear to work correctly until it displays /stand/sysinstall running
as init on vty0 and then the install hangs.

The sysinstall application is supposed to launch at this point. A
Deja search reveals this to be a fairly common occurance but no
answers are offered.

Does anyone have a solution?

Proliant 2500, dual PPro 200, Smart-2P, 1 gig ram

Redhat installs just fine but since they are abandoning their distro
to focus on enterprise products I'm searching for a replacement.

microsplit
November 17th 03, 07:42 PM
I'm having the same problem right now. Both 5.1 and 4.9 freeze while
booting with the same message on a Proliant 2500.

I'll tell you if I find anything out... Google isn't giving me
anything.

(VinceV) wrote in message >...
> Has anyone successfully installed freeBSD on a proliant 2500?
>
> I have tried several releases of the OS with the same result. Thinks
> appear to work correctly until it displays /stand/sysinstall running
> as init on vty0 and then the install hangs.
>
> The sysinstall application is supposed to launch at this point. A
> Deja search reveals this to be a fairly common occurance but no
> answers are offered.
>
> Does anyone have a solution?
>
> Proliant 2500, dual PPro 200, Smart-2P, 1 gig ram
>
> Redhat installs just fine but since they are abandoning their distro
> to focus on enterprise products I'm searching for a replacement.

microsplit
November 17th 03, 11:16 PM
5.1 and 4.9 both do this on a Proliant 2500. I only tried directly
booting from the "mini" CD, I didn't even think to try with the boot
floppies :-(.

I did however get 4.7 to get past the "vty0 halt". Good luck
finding a decent mirror that's NOT oversea's with the full 4.7
release. Or just simply do a minimal install (the mini ISO should
have what you need) and make world.

The best I've found so far: ftp7.de.freebsd.org ; About 121ms lag
(from where I am).

(VinceV) wrote in message >...
> Has anyone successfully installed freeBSD on a proliant 2500?
>
> I have tried several releases of the OS with the same result. Thinks
> appear to work correctly until it displays /stand/sysinstall running
> as init on vty0 and then the install hangs.
>
> The sysinstall application is supposed to launch at this point. A
> Deja search reveals this to be a fairly common occurance but no
> answers are offered.
>
> Does anyone have a solution?
>
> Proliant 2500, dual PPro 200, Smart-2P, 1 gig ram
>
> Redhat installs just fine but since they are abandoning their distro
> to focus on enterprise products I'm searching for a replacement.

VinceV
November 18th 03, 01:51 AM
(microsplit) wrote in message >...

The good news is that the compact install of Debian works just fine!

You need to use the compact floppies because they have the smart and
tlan drivers on them. One word of caution, don't use the auto
partition option or you will lose your Compaq system utilities
partition. I didn't have a SmartStart CD so I had to install it via
floppy.

VinceV

> I'm having the same problem right now. Both 5.1 and 4.9 freeze while
> booting with the same message on a Proliant 2500.
>
> I'll tell you if I find anything out... Google isn't giving me
> anything.

btc
November 27th 03, 11:27 AM
In article >,
(VinceV) wrote:

> Has anyone successfully installed freeBSD on a proliant 2500?
>
> I have tried several releases of the OS with the same result. Thinks
> appear to work correctly until it displays /stand/sysinstall running
> as init on vty0 and then the install hangs.
>
> The sysinstall application is supposed to launch at this point. A
> Deja search reveals this to be a fairly common occurance but no
> answers are offered.
>
> Does anyone have a solution?
>
> Proliant 2500, dual PPro 200, Smart-2P, 1 gig ram
>
> Redhat installs just fine but since they are abandoning their distro
> to focus on enterprise products I'm searching for a replacement.

I had the same problem until I realised that FreeBSD wasn't properly
detecting the amount of RAM in the system. Instead of seeing 400Mb it
was seeing only 8Mb. The install was stopping due to a lack of memory.
This seems to be caused by the Compaq BIOS not reporting its RAM
correctly.

I was able to get around the problem by specifying the amount of RAM
when the installer boots - when you get the option to press <RETURN> to
boot or any other key to get to the boot prompt, I hit the spacebar.
This put me at the "ok" prompt. I then set the amount of RAM using the
"hw.physmem" variable. e.g.

ok set hw.physmem="425984k"
ok boot

After that the install ran smoothly. I also made sure that I added this
option to the /etc/loader.conf file. The man pages for loader and
loader.conf give more details.

This works for both 5.1 and 4.9. BTW, if you're using 5.1 be aware that
there seems to be a glitch in the tlan driver that causes the network
connection to drop intermittently. 4.9 seems to be ok.

Cheers,

BTC

microsplit
December 4th 03, 03:51 PM
btc > wrote in message >...
> I had the same problem until I realised that FreeBSD wasn't properly
> detecting the amount of RAM in the system.
>(snip)

> I was able to get around the problem by specifying the amount of RAM
> when the installer boots - (snip) I then set the amount of RAM using the
> "hw.physmem" variable. e.g.
>
> ok set hw.physmem="425984k"
> ok boot
>
> After that the install ran smoothly.
> (snip)

Thanks! It works great! Looks like alot of people will find this
very usefull, this is the first fix for this (that I've found) in
newsgroups, great job!

- Jason

Christer Solskogen
December 5th 03, 08:27 AM
microsplit wrote:
> btc > wrote in message >...
>
>>I had the same problem until I realised that FreeBSD wasn't properly
>>detecting the amount of RAM in the system.
>>(snip)
>

>>I was able to get around the problem by specifying the amount of RAM
>>when the installer boots - (snip) I then set the amount of RAM using the
>>"hw.physmem" variable. e.g.
>>
>>ok set hw.physmem="425984k"
>>ok boot
>>
>>After that the install ran smoothly.
>>(snip)
>

> Thanks! It works great! Looks like alot of people will find this
> very usefull, this is the first fix for this (that I've found) in
> newsgroups, great job!
>
> - Jason

damn!
I wont work for me!
If i spesify the memory, the kernel b0rks with a fatal trap 12, or
something.
Maybe i dont get it. but what would be the right size(in k) for a system
with 320M ?
Have you done something in BIOS?

--
Med vennlig hilsen / Best regards
Christer Solskogen / dizzy tun3Z

"Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend!"
-Spider Jerusalem

VinceV
December 5th 03, 05:10 PM
Christer Solskogen . egg.spam.egg.egg.spam> wrote in message >...
> microsplit wrote:
> > btc > wrote in message >...
> >>I was able to get around the problem by specifying the amount of RAM
> >>when the installer boots - (snip) I then set the amount of RAM using the
> >>"hw.physmem" variable. e.g.
> >>
> >>ok set hw.physmem="425984k"
> >>ok boot
> >>
> >>After that the install ran smoothly.
> >>(snip)
> I wont work for me!
> If i spesify the memory, the kernel b0rks with a fatal trap 12, or
> something.
> Maybe i dont get it. but what would be the right size(in k) for a system
> with 320M ?
> Have you done something in BIOS?

320m = 320 * 1024 = 327680k

If you specify more ram than you have it will fail.

One other minor gotcha, in /boot/loader.conf you don't need the word "set", use
hw.physmem="327680k"

VinceV

Christer Gundersen
December 6th 03, 10:43 AM
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:10:27 -0800, VinceV wrote:

> Christer Solskogen . egg.spam.egg.egg.spam> wrote in message >...
>> microsplit wrote:

>> I wont work for me!
>> If i spesify the memory, the kernel b0rks with a fatal trap 12, or
>> something.
>> Maybe i dont get it. but what would be the right size(in k) for a system
>> with 320M ?
>> Have you done something in BIOS?
>
> 320m = 320 * 1024 = 327680k
>
> If you specify more ram than you have it will fail.
>
> One other minor gotcha, in /boot/loader.conf you don't need the word "set", use
> hw.physmem="327680k"

It still gives me a Fatal Trap 12.
What kind of OS have you set in BIOS?

--
Med vennlig hilsen / Best regards
Christer Solskogen
http://dtz.cjb.net - http://carebears.mine.nu

"Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend!"
-Spider Jerusalem

VinceV
December 8th 03, 05:28 PM
Christer Gundersen > wrote in message .no>...
> On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:10:27 -0800, VinceV wrote:

> > 320m = 320 * 1024 = 327680k
> >
> > If you specify more ram than you have it will fail.
> >
> > One other minor gotcha, in /boot/loader.conf you don't need the word "set", use
> > hw.physmem="327680k"
> >

> It still gives me a Fatal Trap 12.
> What kind of OS have you set in BIOS?

Mine is set to linux. I have dual processors so the APIC is st to
full table mapped. (CTRL-A to enter advanced mode)

My setup is proliant 2500, dual PPro 200s, 1gig ram, smart 2/P with 5
9.1 gig drives in one RAID5. Bios is set to linux and the smart start
partition exists.

Fatal trap 12 could be the result of a memory problem too. Have you
tried it with different memory modules? If you have two does it work
when you remove one?

VinceV

Christer Solskogen
December 9th 03, 02:44 PM
VinceV wrote:

> Christer Gundersen > wrote in message .no>...
>
>>On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:10:27 -0800, VinceV wrote:
>

>>>320m = 320 * 1024 = 327680k
>>>
>>>If you specify more ram than you have it will fail.
>>>
>>>One other minor gotcha, in /boot/loader.conf you don't need the word "set", use
>>>hw.physmem="327680k"
>>>

>>It still gives me a Fatal Trap 12.
>>What kind of OS have you set in BIOS?
>

> Mine is set to linux. I have dual processors so the APIC is st to
> full table mapped. (CTRL-A to enter advanced mode)
>
> My setup is proliant 2500, dual PPro 200s, 1gig ram, smart 2/P with 5
> 9.1 gig drives in one RAID5. Bios is set to linux and the smart start
> partition exists.
>
> Fatal trap 12 could be the result of a memory problem too. Have you
> tried it with different memory modules? If you have two does it work
> when you remove one?

Fataltrap only occurs when i`m trying to spesify the size of memory.
FreeBSD 4.9 works nicely.

I shall try the linux os, and with the apic setting you got.
thanks for your replay :)