PDA

View Full Version : Proliant 3000 hot plug cage cannot be recognized by Win2k

Colin Anderson
November 11th 03, 04:14 PM
Hi I'm trying to resurrect a Proliant 3000 w/ hot plug cage. The cage has
18gig Compaq OEM drives. All drives are scanned correctly by the BIOS at
startup. The drives can be accessed with SmartStart and I can write the F10
partition to it no problem. If I boot from a seperate drive w/ Win2k, the
drives are recognized in device manager, but nothing shows up in Disk
Management. If I try to install Win2K directly to the array, Windows 2000
says "Cannot access the drive"

Frustrating. Anybody got an idea?

NuT CrAcKeR
November 11th 03, 04:46 PM
are you using an array controller, or are these running off the onboard scsi
controller? If you are using the onboard, you wont be able to hot-swap the
drives, just so you know.

Have you written signatures to the drives, and created volumes on them that
2K can then interact with?

LC

"Colin Anderson" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi I'm trying to resurrect a Proliant 3000 w/ hot plug cage. The cage has
> 18gig Compaq OEM drives. All drives are scanned correctly by the BIOS at
> startup. The drives can be accessed with SmartStart and I can write the
F10
> partition to it no problem. If I boot from a seperate drive w/ Win2k, the
> drives are recognized in device manager, but nothing shows up in Disk
> Management. If I try to install Win2K directly to the array, Windows 2000
> says "Cannot access the drive"
>
> Frustrating. Anybody got an idea?

Colin Anderson
November 11th 03, 07:49 PM
thanks for the reply. Onboard SCSI controller. Don't care about hot swap.
Can't write a signature to the drive unless I can access it in Disk Manager.
Ditto for volumes. The drives show up in Device Manager, but do not show up
in Disk Manager.

"NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> are you using an array controller, or are these running off the onboard
scsi
> controller? If you are using the onboard, you wont be able to hot-swap the
> drives, just so you know.
>
> Have you written signatures to the drives, and created volumes on them
that
> 2K can then interact with?
>
> LC
>
> "Colin Anderson" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Hi I'm trying to resurrect a Proliant 3000 w/ hot plug cage. The cage
has
> > 18gig Compaq OEM drives. All drives are scanned correctly by the BIOS at
> > startup. The drives can be accessed with SmartStart and I can write the
> F10
> > partition to it no problem. If I boot from a seperate drive w/ Win2k,
the
> > drives are recognized in device manager, but nothing shows up in Disk
> > Management. If I try to install Win2K directly to the array, Windows
2000
> > says "Cannot access the drive"
> >
> > Frustrating. Anybody got an idea?

Colin Anderson
November 11th 03, 11:29 PM
Fixed my own problem. Took out all the cables, threw 'em out, bought new
ones, works. ****! Three days wasted. Thanks, Nutcracker.