PDA

View Full Version : proliant 1600 problem with second cpu

Alexander Joelly
November 6th 03, 09:39 PM
hi there,

i have an proliant 1600 6/500 with one pentium3 500mhz cpu;
now i installed a second cpu, the bios see both cpu´s but no operating system (linux, nt, w2k) found a second cpu;
changing the positions has no affect, each cpu works - but only alone;

did anyone know this problem ?

thx,
alex

NuT CrAcKeR
November 6th 03, 09:41 PM
with linux you need to compile an SMP kernel and tell lilo to use it.
with w2k you need to change the machine type to MPS (from the device
manager).

Cheers,

LC

"Alexander Joelly" > wrote in message
> hi there,
>
> i have an proliant 1600 6/500 with one pentium3 500mhz cpu;
> now i installed a second cpu, the bios see both cpu´s but no operating
system (linux, nt, w2k) found a second cpu;
> changing the positions has no affect, each cpu works - but only alone;
>
> did anyone know this problem ?
>
> thx,
> alex

Alexander Joelly
November 6th 03, 09:49 PM
NuT CrAcKeR wrote:
> with linux you need to compile an SMP kernel and tell lilo to use it.
> with w2k you need to change the machine type to MPS (from the device
> manager).

i have done all of them, but no operating system detects a second cpu;
six of my machines are running with two cpu´s, and i have no troubles to get them work - only the proliant server doesn´t work;
the other machines are no compaq machines, self assembled with motherboards from tyan, asus and msi;

greets,
alex

NuT CrAcKeR
November 6th 03, 11:54 PM
Then you might need to go into the F10 utilities, and use the System
Configuration.

Press F10 when you hear the beep, and the cursor goes to the top right
(provided you HAVE an EISA partition and its utilities... tell me you built
the server using SmartStart).

At the first screen, press CTRL + A to get into advanced mode, then choose
System Configuration.

Scroll down through the options, and make sure that the Mapping Table is
using FULL TABLE, and NOT Full Table Mapped.

If that is how the server is setup, save the settings and reboot. This
behavior may be caused because the NVRAM was not updated to include the
address and resource mappings for the additonal processor that you added to
the system. You didnt list your installation process, so I am making some
assumptions.

Let us know what you find.

LC

"Alexander Joelly" > wrote in message
> NuT CrAcKeR wrote:
> > with linux you need to compile an SMP kernel and tell lilo to use it.
> > with w2k you need to change the machine type to MPS (from the device
> > manager).
>
> i have done all of them, but no operating system detects a second cpu;
> six of my machines are running with two cpu´s, and i have no troubles to
get them work - only the proliant server doesn´t work;
> the other machines are no compaq machines, self assembled with
motherboards from tyan, asus and msi;

> greets,
> alex

Alexander Joelly
November 7th 03, 05:42 PM
NuT CrAcKeR wrote:
> Then you might need to go into the F10 utilities, and use the System
> Configuration.
>
> Press F10 when you hear the beep, and the cursor goes to the top right
> (provided you HAVE an EISA partition and its utilities... tell me you built
> the server using SmartStart).
>
> At the first screen, press CTRL + A to get into advanced mode, then choose
> System Configuration.
>
> Scroll down through the options, and make sure that the Mapping Table is
> using FULL TABLE, and NOT Full Table Mapped.
>
> If that is how the server is setup, save the settings and reboot. This
> behavior may be caused because the NVRAM was not updated to include the
> address and resource mappings for the additonal processor that you added to
> the system. You didnt list your installation process, so I am making some
> assumptions.
>
> Let us know what you find.

wow! thanks!
you have solved my problem