PDA

View Full Version : FS: Compaq DL380 server (loaded!)

TekRecycle.com
November 4th 03, 04:35 AM
2GB RAM
4 - 18.2 10K RPM SCSI III drives
dual 1GHz CPUs
single power supply (dual capable!)

onsite warranty until Oct 31 2004 !!!

$2400 obo - can deliver or meet in AZ (Scottsdale, Phoenix, Mesa, Chandler
and surrounding areas)

will ship, buyer pays shipping.

diagrams & general Compaq specs for DL380 here:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10495_div/10495_div.html

email inquiries to
sales
@
tekrecycle.com

NuT CrAcKeR
November 4th 03, 05:32 PM
I just paid $550 for a dell 2400 with comparable spex (except it had 36G
drives, and 2 PSU's)...

You might want to drop your price considerably.

LC

"TekRecycle.com" <tekrecycle @hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> 2GB RAM
> 4 - 18.2 10K RPM SCSI III drives
> dual 1GHz CPUs
> single power supply (dual capable!)
>
> onsite warranty until Oct 31 2004 !!!
>
> $2400 obo - can deliver or meet in AZ (Scottsdale, Phoenix, Mesa, Chandler
> and surrounding areas)
>
> will ship, buyer pays shipping.
>
> diagrams & general Compaq specs for DL380 here:
> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10495_div/10495_div.html
>

> email inquiries to
> sales
> @
> tekrecycle.com

Hank Arnold
November 5th 03, 09:36 AM
ROTFL!!!!

You're comparing a low end POS desktop against a rack mounted server with
10K RPM SCSI drives, RAID, etc.....

I didn't see a smiley face, but you are joking, right?????????????????

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> I just paid $550 for a dell 2400 with comparable spex (except it had 36G
> drives, and 2 PSU's)...
>
> You might want to drop your price considerably.
>
> LC
>
> "TekRecycle.com" <tekrecycle @hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > 2GB RAM
> > 4 - 18.2 10K RPM SCSI III drives
> > dual 1GHz CPUs
> > single power supply (dual capable!)
> >
> > onsite warranty until Oct 31 2004 !!!
> >
> > $2400 obo - can deliver or meet in AZ (Scottsdale, Phoenix, Mesa,
Chandler
> > and surrounding areas)
> >
> > will ship, buyer pays shipping.
> >
> > diagrams & general Compaq specs for DL380 here:
> > http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10495_div/10495_div.html
> >

> > email inquiries to
> > sales
> > @
> > tekrecycle.com

Sharmon
November 5th 03, 12:34 PM
The price is a little high $1800-2000 would be about right as HP is
now enforcing the non-transferable clause in their warranty so make
sure the unit has no history or registered owner BEFORE buying and if
it does pay accordingly. As far as the poor guy who bought the Dell ,
well the DL380 has a duty cycle you can run a data center on , you
Dell is nothing more than a bloated desktop. Try this, tell Dell
support (when you finally get through) that your drive is showing up
as failed in the NOS and on the drive itself on your RAID 5
configuration on your 911 SQL server . First of all the dick will tell
you to try reseating the failed drive running a very good chace of
destroying your data and secondly the "tech" will not even remind you
to back you data up. HP will just ship you a drive (unless you have
multiple failures) . You know why ??? Because Dell does not make real
servers and the people who trained the techs know that none of their
customers will put a mission critical app on their crappy equipment
anyways

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 08:36:50 GMT, "Hank Arnold" >
wrote:

>ROTFL!!!!
>
>You're comparing a low end POS desktop against a rack mounted server with
>10K RPM SCSI drives, RAID, etc.....
>
>I didn't see a smiley face, but you are joking, right?????????????????

NuT CrAcKeR
November 5th 03, 05:10 PM
Hank,

Do your homework and see what you can learn about the PowerEdge 2400. Its a
badass... though I still prefer Hpaq systems.

I am guessing you know nothing about dell servers, or the reference to
"comparable spex" would not have been lost on you.

the DL380 and the PE2400 are about the same age, and designed for "roughly"
the same market segment. The only 2 advantages that the DL has over the PE
is that it is 3U instead of 5U, and is a Compaq instead of a Dell. The dell
has more internal storage and better I/O capabilites with 66Mhz PCI-X slots
(and more of them), and you can cram a DLT into the box while still enjoying
the use of your CDROM. I hate to admit it.. .but I am becoming a fan of
Dell's OpenManage and ArrayManager tools. If it hasnt happend already, its
only a matter of time before the Hpaq systems start shipping with the same
types of tools. IBM tools arent even in the same realm when it comes to this
stuff...

Not an "exact" apples to apples comparason, but close enough. And I still
wouldnt pay more than $600 for the DL, as configured. Also, let me clarify,
that I bought the server for a client, and not for myself. You might not
think that is important, but Dan might appreciate the clarification.

Ciao,

LC

"Hank Arnold" > wrote in message
. ..
> ROTFL!!!!
>
> You're comparing a low end POS desktop against a rack mounted server with
> 10K RPM SCSI drives, RAID, etc.....
>
> I didn't see a smiley face, but you are joking, right?????????????????
>
> --
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
>
> "NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> > I just paid $550 for a dell 2400 with comparable spex (except it had 36G
> > drives, and 2 PSU's)...
> >
> > You might want to drop your price considerably.
> >
> > LC
> >
> > "TekRecycle.com" <tekrecycle @hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > 2GB RAM
> > > 4 - 18.2 10K RPM SCSI III drives
> > > dual 1GHz CPUs
> > > single power supply (dual capable!)
> > >
> > > onsite warranty until Oct 31 2004 !!!
> > >
> > > $2400 obo - can deliver or meet in AZ (Scottsdale, Phoenix, Mesa,
> Chandler
> > > and surrounding areas)
> > >
> > > will ship, buyer pays shipping.
> > >
> > > diagrams & general Compaq specs for DL380 here:
> > > http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10495_div/10495_div.html
> > >

> > > email inquiries to
> > > sales
> > > @
> > > tekrecycle.com

NuT CrAcKeR
November 6th 03, 02:56 AM
its good to see that platform bigotry is alive an well.

Use whatever you have to that gets the job done. Its like I said, I prefer
the Hpaq systems, its my customers that insist on buying the dell servers
because of thier price. Yes, thier support blows, but like most competent
engineers, I only call them as a last resort. I dont have the time to school
them to the ways of how servers are supposed to operate.

And, just so you know, I work for a fortune 100 company and we have about
600 dell servers. We also have about 1250 Compaq/HP servers, and about 400
IBM servers. Have you ever heard of a Silo? We have 2, and about a dozen
other StorageTek mutlti-terabyte libraries.

We average about 4.3 9's of uptime a quarter throughout our entire
enterprise.

So before you run your ignorant mouth making statements like "...none of
their
customers will put a mission critical app on their crappy equipment
anyways..." perhpas you would like me to teach you the definition of mission
critical.

As Mark Twain once said, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a
fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". It reminds me of you.

Ciao,

LC

"Sharmon @user.com>" <George<nospam> wrote in message
> The price is a little high $1800-2000 would be about right as HP is
> now enforcing the non-transferable clause in their warranty so make
> sure the unit has no history or registered owner BEFORE buying and if
> it does pay accordingly. As far as the poor guy who bought the Dell ,
> well the DL380 has a duty cycle you can run a data center on , you
> Dell is nothing more than a bloated desktop. Try this, tell Dell
> support (when you finally get through) that your drive is showing up
> as failed in the NOS and on the drive itself on your RAID 5
> configuration on your 911 SQL server . First of all the dick will tell
> you to try reseating the failed drive running a very good chace of
> destroying your data and secondly the "tech" will not even remind you
> to back you data up. HP will just ship you a drive (unless you have
> multiple failures) . You know why ??? Because Dell does not make real
> servers and the people who trained the techs know that none of their
> customers will put a mission critical app on their crappy equipment
> anyways
>
> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 08:36:50 GMT, "Hank Arnold" >
> wrote:
>
> >ROTFL!!!!
> >
> >You're comparing a low end POS desktop against a rack mounted server with
> >10K RPM SCSI drives, RAID, etc.....
> >
> >I didn't see a smiley face, but you are joking, right?????????????????

Sharmon
November 6th 03, 05:54 AM
I am very proud of you , you know of a good Dell installation and so
do I . I also know of a lot of bad Dell installs as well . A good
company stands behind their equipment when it goes bad , something I
don't see from Dell.

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 19:56:54 -0600, "NuT CrAcKeR"
> wrote:

>its good to see that platform bigotry is alive an well.
>
>Use whatever you have to that gets the job done. Its like I said, I prefer
>the Hpaq systems, its my customers that insist on buying the dell servers
>because of thier price. Yes, thier support blows, but like most competent
>engineers, I only call them as a last resort. I dont have the time to school
>them to the ways of how servers are supposed to operate.
>
>And, just so you know, I work for a fortune 100 company and we have about
>600 dell servers. We also have about 1250 Compaq/HP servers, and about 400
>IBM servers. Have you ever heard of a Silo? We have 2, and about a dozen
>other StorageTek mutlti-terabyte libraries.
>
> We average about 4.3 9's of uptime a quarter throughout our entire
>enterprise.
>
>So before you run your ignorant mouth making statements like "...none of
>their
>customers will put a mission critical app on their crappy equipment
>anyways..." perhpas you would like me to teach you the definition of mission
>critical.
>
>As Mark Twain once said, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a
>fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". It reminds me of you.
>
>Ciao,
>
>LC
>
>"Sharmon @user.com>" <George<nospam> wrote in message
>> The price is a little high $1800-2000 would be about right as HP is
>> now enforcing the non-transferable clause in their warranty so make
>> sure the unit has no history or registered owner BEFORE buying and if
>> it does pay accordingly. As far as the poor guy who bought the Dell ,
>> well the DL380 has a duty cycle you can run a data center on , you
>> Dell is nothing more than a bloated desktop. Try this, tell Dell
>> support (when you finally get through) that your drive is showing up
>> as failed in the NOS and on the drive itself on your RAID 5
>> configuration on your 911 SQL server . First of all the dick will tell
>> you to try reseating the failed drive running a very good chace of
>> destroying your data and secondly the "tech" will not even remind you
>> to back you data up. HP will just ship you a drive (unless you have
>> multiple failures) . You know why ??? Because Dell does not make real
>> servers and the people who trained the techs know that none of their
>> customers will put a mission critical app on their crappy equipment
>> anyways
>>
>> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 08:36:50 GMT, "Hank Arnold" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >ROTFL!!!!
>> >
>> >You're comparing a low end POS desktop against a rack mounted server with
>> >10K RPM SCSI drives, RAID, etc.....
>> >
>> >I didn't see a smiley face, but you are joking, right?????????????????

NuT CrAcKeR
November 6th 03, 04:57 PM
you just have to know how to turn the screws on them... same as anyone else.

Cheers,