PDA

View Full Version : Installing Redhat linux on a Compaq Systempro/XL

Peter Murray
October 31st 03, 07:53 AM
Hi, I got a Systempro/XL with 2 50Mhz 486's and I put in 40Mb of RAM,
configured it correctly with the compaq setup and ASTRA sees it all, but
when it comes to installing Redhat linux it says that i dont have enought
system memory.
Im trying to install Redhat 7.1
my server is as follows:

Systempro/XL Series 3050
40Mb RAM
AHA 1740 EISA SCSI with 2GbHD,Tapedrive and CDrom attached.

any help would be much apreciated

TIA

Peter Murray

NuT CrAcKeR
November 12th 03, 02:42 AM
I might be wrong... but I have seen posts here for years saying that linux
does not do EisaSMP, and you wont be able to install it on this system.
(this includes models up to the Proliant 4500, because they dont have a PCI
bus. The 1500 is the sole exception as it does have PCI, and once you get
out of the P5 class machines and get into the PPro systems, then it shouldnt
be a problem).

But... if you want to try, there is a memory switch you have to give lilo
that is something like:

mem=X - [email protected]

whereX = 40 (because that is how much RAM you have).

let us know how you fare... you might have a hard time getting a driver for
IDA disk controller (if that is the controller that you have in the system,
which if memory serves correctly, you should have. It has a 50pin SCSI like
connector, that attaches to 2 210M or 2 510M IDE drives. These are
particular drives, so you wont be able to put any-ole IDE disk on there.

Cheers,

LC

"Peter Murray" > wrote in message
> Hi, I got a Systempro/XL with 2 50Mhz 486's and I put in 40Mb of RAM,
> configured it correctly with the compaq setup and ASTRA sees it all, but
> when it comes to installing Redhat linux it says that i dont have enought
> system memory.
> Im trying to install Redhat 7.1
> my server is as follows:
>
> Systempro/XL Series 3050
> 40Mb RAM
> AHA 1740 EISA SCSI with 2GbHD,Tapedrive and CDrom attached.
>
> any help would be much apreciated
>
> TIA
>
> Peter Murray

VinceV
November 12th 03, 07:24 PM
"NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message >...

snip

> But... if you want to try, there is a memory switch you have to give lilo
> that is something like:
>
> mem=X - [email protected]
>
> whereX = 40 (because that is how much RAM you have).

The tweak that needs to be done (assuming 40 meg of ram) is:

mem=exactmap [email protected] [email protected]

You will need to do that for the installer to work and again when you
first boot. I'd use grub instead of lilo because you can edit the
boot script at system startup.

Gereon Wenzel
November 19th 03, 03:05 PM
> I might be wrong... but I have seen posts here for years saying that linux
> does not do EisaSMP, and you wont be able to install it on this system.
> (this includes models up to the Proliant 4500, because they dont have a PCI
> bus. The 1500 is the sole exception as it does have PCI, and once you get
> out of the P5 class machines and get into the PPro systems, then it shouldnt
> be a problem).

You're right, but it does not depend on the EISA bus.
These old Compaqs don't use SMP but some kind of different MP architecture.
The 1500 was the first introducing linux supported SMP.
Linux will be possible to use a single CPU only.
Best choce might be NT3.51, or if you don't like M$ try SCO.
I don't think there is any free OS supporting these systems,
at least none using both CPUs?

> mem=X - [email protected]
>
> whereX = 40 (because that is how much RAM you have).
>
> let us know how you fare... you might have a hard time getting a driver for
> IDA disk controller (if that is the controller that you have in the system,
> which if memory serves correctly, you should have. It has a 50pin SCSI like
> connector, that attaches to 2 210M or 2 510M IDE drives. These are
> particular drives, so you wont be able to put any-ole IDE disk on there.

The IDA is said to be supported by the Linux SMART driver,
more difficult to find are matching drives (Conner OEM) or
mounting equipement.
Got one of these installed with 8 540MB disks in my /XL.
Configured fine, but so far it failed to install NT.
NT uses the cpqarray driver while Win 9x drivers are
contained in the cpq-win95 support pack.

> > Hi, I got a Systempro/XL with 2 50Mhz 486's and I put in 40Mb of RAM,
> > configured it correctly with the compaq setup and ASTRA sees it all, but
> > when it comes to installing Redhat linux it says that i dont have enought
> > system memory.
> > Im trying to install Redhat 7.1
> > my server is as follows:
> >
> > Systempro/XL Series 3050
> > 40Mb RAM
> > AHA 1740 EISA SCSI with 2GbHD,Tapedrive and CDrom attached.
> >
> > any help would be much apreciated
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Peter Murray

Got two of these /XL machines running Dos and NT 3.51,
as well as two systempro dual 486/33.

Gereon Wenzel
www.eisapc.de