PDA

View Full Version : dead LCD on Presario 710US

Dillon Family
August 22nd 03, 11:52 PM
I've posted this in the Compaq communities and have e-mailed tech support
(who actually provided some helpful info) and here's what I'm up against.

My Presario 710US laptop has been fine recently, until I went to view some
digital photos via USB yesterday evening. The screen began to flicker, and
the machine either shut off or the display died. In any case, after
numerous tries I still couldn't get past the Compaq logo. After hooking the
machine to a CRT monitor, I was getting an "unmountable boot volume" error
message, along with some cryptic numbers. The message had been there all
along; I just couldn't see it on the LCD.

I was unable to do a repair console, so I went for broke and did the 3-disc
system restore. Everything went well (using the CRT) but I still cannot see
the LCD. If I angle the screen under just the right light, I can very
faintly see the display, and it shows up great on the CRT. The keyboard
brightness controls don't help and I have the CRT and LCD checked in Display
Properties. I'm thinking the LCD is fried and of course it's not under
warrantly any longer.

Any ideas as to expense of replacing the LCD? Is there anything I'm missing
in my home diagnoses? Would you recommend Radio Shack or Compaq mail-in
service as the best? Thanks for any helpful suggestions (other than "buy a
Dell" which I did...and "buy a Gateway" which I have also done :)

All the best -

--
The car smelled like beer and burnt cat, but it still ran, so we drove it
home.

SCW
August 23rd 03, 10:31 AM
Well I don't know if your computer is still under warranty but if it is,
Compaq will replace the LCD or whatever is making your LCD not work. A few
weeks ago 2 white lines from left-right appeared on my LCD on my 1525US
notebook so I sent it in for repair, they replaced the LCD with a brand new
one, and even replaced my floppy drive which I didn't know was defective.
They did a great job and I had my computer back in 3 days, which surprised
the hell out of me.

Course they decided to keep my 802.11b multiport module but thats water
under the bridge now. I ended up having to buy another one off of E-Bay.
My router keeps talking ot me "feed me data...feed me data"... OK that was
dumb but seriously, Compaq will take care of you if your hardware is still
under warranty. Just make sure you take off EVERYTHING that can be removed
from the notebook before sending it in or you may not see it again.