PDA

View Full Version : Fastest cpu for this Deskpro?

InsomniaKev
August 18th 03, 08:52 PM
Got a P400/6939($1 to anyone who can find an online manual for it) and
i'm wondering how fast a cpu it would take?

It's a BX mb with no soft bios. the jumpers on the board only go as high
as 6x100mhz.

P2's look like they stop at 450mhz & P3's start at 450. P2's run at
2.05/2v and I know that some P3's run at the same voltage.

InsomniaKev
August 18th 03, 09:47 PM
> Katmai P3's (AKA Mendocino, the predecessor to Coppermine)
> also run at 2 or 2.05V, but the fastest Katmai is 600MHz:
> http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUSspecP3.htm
>
> Multipliers are locked on P3's so the 6x limitation on the system
> board won't limit the actual cpu speed, but the real problem is the
> core voltage. Don't try and run a Coppermine at 2.05V, you'll
> probably fry it.

i figure i'm looking at a
P3/600/L2512/100mhz/2v
or
P3/600e/L2256/100/2v

HH
August 19th 03, 12:33 AM
As is any P3 with a 256K L2 cache. All Katmai P3s have 512K.
HH

"Rick" > wrote in message
> "InsomniaKev" > wrote in message
> > > Katmai P3's (AKA Mendocino, the predecessor to Coppermine)
> > > also run at 2 or 2.05V, but the fastest Katmai is 600MHz:
> > > http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUSspecP3.htm
> > >
> > > Multipliers are locked on P3's so the 6x limitation on the system
> > > board won't limit the actual cpu speed, but the real problem is the
> > > core voltage. Don't try and run a Coppermine at 2.05V, you'll
> > > probably fry it.
> >
> > i figure i'm looking at a
> > P3/600/L2512/100mhz/2v
> > or
> > P3/600e/L2256/100/2v
>
> The latter CPU is a Coppermine. Don't try it. Any P3 with an "E" is
> a Coppermine and requires 1.6-1.7V.
>
> Rick

InsomniaKev
August 19th 03, 01:18 AM
> > i figure i'm looking at a
> > P3/600/L2512/100mhz/2v
> > or
> > P3/600e/L2256/100/2v
>
> The latter CPU is a Coppermine. Don't try it. Any P3 with an "E" is
> a Coppermine and requires 1.6-1.7V.

okay than i guess the page i was looking at is wrong. said the 600e was
2v

the yeti
August 19th 03, 07:46 AM
InsomniaKev > wrote in message >...
> > > i figure i'm looking at a
> > > P3/600/L2512/100mhz/2v
> > > or
> > > P3/600e/L2256/100/2v
> >
> > The latter CPU is a Coppermine. Don't try it. Any P3 with an "E" is
> > a Coppermine and requires 1.6-1.7V.
>
> okay than i guess the page i was looking at is wrong. said the 600e was
> 2v

I was curious so I looked around a bit. How much are you willing to
spend on this project?

look here:
http://store.yahoo.com/strattoncomputer/slot1-fcpga2.html
http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/slott/compatibility.htm