PDA

View Full Version : Presario 5030 BIOS replacement?

Toman
August 18th 03, 02:28 AM
Hi group.

I'm concidering flashing 'up' the BIOS in my Presario 5030 using a non-
compaq one. (YES, I know this is no-no, and immoral etc) But I imagine this
will give me greater control over the PC. However, as you can imagine, I
wonder what motherboard this model has.
What I know: It has an intel 440ex chipset and from what I can tell, an
American Megatrends BIOS chip (I'll get the part number if it's relevant).
It has a PentiumII 300, and two DIMM's. It has two PCI and two ISA slots.
Onboard ATI rage LT pro 2xAGP, onboard ESS 1869(f) sound.

I have read that another 'Presario' had some Gigabyte board, but I can't
find one that resembles this one here. What should I look for? I'm kindof a
newbie when it comes to hardware, any help appreciated.

TIA.

Rick
August 18th 03, 03:12 AM
<grin> that's for sure. Not only is it immoral but in most cases it's
impossible.

A friend of mine recently tried to flash a Presario 5000T (Mitac 6513WU
motherboard) with a Mitac bios and I've never seen a system hosed so
completely in my life. After the flash not even the fan headers worked!
And the damned thing doesn't have a socketed bios chip so he couldn't
even hotflash it. In the dumpster it went.

But if you're a glutton for punishment look through Mitac's line of
motherboards, chances are it's one of those models. They were
Compaq's most frequent OEM.

Rick

"doS" > wrote in message ...
> Walmart has presario's on sale, you'll need to get a new one...
>
> "Toman" > wrote in message
> > Hi group.
> >
> > I'm concidering flashing 'up' the BIOS in my Presario 5030 using a non-
> > compaq one. (YES, I know this is no-no, and immoral etc) But I imagine
> this
> > will give me greater control over the PC. However, as you can imagine, I
> > wonder what motherboard this model has.
> > What I know: It has an intel 440ex chipset and from what I can tell, an
> > American Megatrends BIOS chip (I'll get the part number if it's relevant).
> > It has a PentiumII 300, and two DIMM's. It has two PCI and two ISA slots.
> > Onboard ATI rage LT pro 2xAGP, onboard ESS 1869(f) sound.
> >
> > I have read that another 'Presario' had some Gigabyte board, but I can't
> > find one that resembles this one here. What should I look for? I'm kindof
> > newbie when it comes to hardware, any help appreciated.
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > --
> > Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

MICHAEL
August 18th 03, 03:53 AM
It might even have a board of Compaq's own design,if it's one of the earlier
Pentium 4 models.
"Rick" > wrote in message
> <grin> that's for sure. Not only is it immoral but in most cases it's
> impossible.
>
> A friend of mine recently tried to flash a Presario 5000T (Mitac 6513WU
> motherboard) with a Mitac bios and I've never seen a system hosed so
> completely in my life. After the flash not even the fan headers worked!
> And the damned thing doesn't have a socketed bios chip so he couldn't
> even hotflash it. In the dumpster it went.
>
> But if you're a glutton for punishment look through Mitac's line of
> motherboards, chances are it's one of those models. They were
> Compaq's most frequent OEM.
>
> Rick
>
> "doS" > wrote in message
> > Walmart has presario's on sale, you'll need to get a new one...
> >
> > "Toman" > wrote in message
> > > Hi group.
> > >
> > > I'm concidering flashing 'up' the BIOS in my Presario 5030 using a
non-
> > > compaq one. (YES, I know this is no-no, and immoral etc) But I imagine
> > this
> > > will give me greater control over the PC. However, as you can imagine,
> > > wonder what motherboard this model has.
> > > What I know: It has an intel 440ex chipset and from what I can tell,
an
> > > American Megatrends BIOS chip (I'll get the part number if it's
relevant).
> > > It has a PentiumII 300, and two DIMM's. It has two PCI and two ISA
slots.
> > > Onboard ATI rage LT pro 2xAGP, onboard ESS 1869(f) sound.
> > >
> > > I have read that another 'Presario' had some Gigabyte board, but I
can't
> > > find one that resembles this one here. What should I look for? I'm
kindof
> > > newbie when it comes to hardware, any help appreciated.
> > >
> > > TIA.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/

Tom Scales
August 18th 03, 06:32 PM
Just because someone like Mitac MADE it, doesn't mean COMPAQ didn't DESIGN
it. In other words, it's not a standard Mitac.

Tom
"Toman" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 02:53:04 GMT, MICHAEL > wrote:
>
> > It might even have a board of Compaq's own design,if it's one of the
> > earlier
> > Pentium 4 models.
>
> Did you read the post? ;)
>
> It says 'Typhoon' on the back, and most (light blue) compaq labels on it
> says TPN-(some numbers). Who made boards named typhoon? Is typhoon a
> manufacturer?
>
> How on earth can I get info on a mitac board from 1998, btw?
>
> > "Rick" > wrote in message
> >> <grin> that's for sure. Not only is it immoral but in most cases it's
> >> impossible.
> >>
> >> A friend of mine recently tried to flash a Presario 5000T (Mitac 6513WU
> >> motherboard) with a Mitac bios and I've never seen a system hosed so
> >> completely in my life. After the flash not even the fan headers
worked!
> >> And the damned thing doesn't have a socketed bios chip so he couldn't
> >> even hotflash it. In the dumpster it went.
> >>
> >> But if you're a glutton for punishment look through Mitac's line of
> >> motherboards, chances are it's one of those models. They were
> >> Compaq's most frequent OEM.

> > non-
> >> imagine
> >> imagine,
> > an
> > relevant).
> > slots.

> > can't
> > kindof

Tom Scales
August 18th 03, 08:24 PM
Well, perhaps that is true for Compaq, but not for Dell. The Dell boards are
very Dell specific and outsourced to multiple manufacturers -- all under
VERY strict non-disclosure, I am sure.

Tom

wrote:

> > > Did you read the post? ;)
> > >
> > > It says 'Typhoon' on the back, and most (light blue) compaq labels on
it
> > > says TPN-(some numbers). Who made boards named typhoon? Is typhoon a
> > > manufacturer?
> > >
> > > How on earth can I get info on a mitac board from 1998, btw?

> > worked!

> > tell,
ISA

I'm

> > > --
> > > Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/

Toman
August 18th 03, 10:47 PM
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 02:53:04 GMT, MICHAEL > wrote:

> It might even have a board of Compaq's own design,if it's one of the
> earlier
> Pentium 4 models.

Did you read the post? ;)

It says 'Typhoon' on the back, and most (light blue) compaq labels on it
says TPN-(some numbers). Who made boards named typhoon? Is typhoon a
manufacturer?

How on earth can I get info on a mitac board from 1998, btw?

> "Rick" > wrote in message
>> <grin> that's for sure. Not only is it immoral but in most cases it's
>> impossible.
>>
>> A friend of mine recently tried to flash a Presario 5000T (Mitac 6513WU
>> motherboard) with a Mitac bios and I've never seen a system hosed so
>> completely in my life. After the flash not even the fan headers worked!
>> And the damned thing doesn't have a socketed bios chip so he couldn't
>> even hotflash it. In the dumpster it went.
>>
>> But if you're a glutton for punishment look through Mitac's line of
>> motherboards, chances are it's one of those models. They were
>> Compaq's most frequent OEM.
>> "doS" > wrote in message
>> > Walmart has presario's on sale, you'll need to get a new one...

> non-
>> imagine
>> > this
>> imagine,
> an
> relevant).
> slots.

> can't
> kindof

Rick
August 18th 03, 11:50 PM
"Toman" > wrote in message ...
> It says 'Typhoon' on the back, and most (light blue) compaq labels on it
> says TPN-(some numbers). Who made boards named typhoon? Is typhoon a
> manufacturer?

The only 'Typhoon' I'm aware of was made by Tyan (S1452), but it's
definitely not that model. The S1452 was an EISA system.

> How on earth can I get info on a mitac board from 1998, btw?

http://www.mitacservice.com/visitor/v_welcome.asp?SelLang=1

Good luck. Mitac won't be winning any awards for website design.

Rick

> > "Rick" > wrote in message
> >> <grin> that's for sure. Not only is it immoral but in most cases it's
> >> impossible.
> >>
> >> A friend of mine recently tried to flash a Presario 5000T (Mitac 6513WU
> >> motherboard) with a Mitac bios and I've never seen a system hosed so
> >> completely in my life. After the flash not even the fan headers worked!
> >> And the damned thing doesn't have a socketed bios chip so he couldn't
> >> even hotflash it. In the dumpster it went.
> >>
> >> But if you're a glutton for punishment look through Mitac's line of
> >> motherboards, chances are it's one of those models. They were
> >> Compaq's most frequent OEM.

> > non-
> >> imagine
> >> imagine,
> > an
> > relevant).
> > slots.

> > can't
> > kindof

Rick
August 19th 03, 12:25 AM

"Tom Scales" > wrote in message ...
> Just because someone like Mitac MADE it, doesn't mean COMPAQ didn't DESIGN
> it. In other words, it's not a standard Mitac.
>
> Tom
> "Toman" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 02:53:04 GMT, MICHAEL > wrote:
> >
> > > It might even have a board of Compaq's own design,if it's one of the
> > > earlier
> > > Pentium 4 models.
> >
> > Did you read the post? ;)
> >
> > It says 'Typhoon' on the back, and most (light blue) compaq labels on it
> > says TPN-(some numbers). Who made boards named typhoon? Is typhoon a
> > manufacturer?
> >
> > How on earth can I get info on a mitac board from 1998, btw?

> worked!

> > > non-
> tell,
> > > an
> > > relevant).
> > > slots.

> > > can't
> > > kindof
> >

> > --
> > Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

Toman
August 19th 03, 11:33 PM
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:25:36 -0700, Rick > wrote:

> While possible, it's not likely. A manufacturer such as Compaq
> would be in no big rush to give design secrets away to a much
> smaller competitor. And the whole point of OEM-ing a board
> is to save costs, much of which are design costs.
>
> BUT, vendor-specific changes are common, so it's very possible
> a Compaq-branded board will be different to one degree or
> another than the OEM original.

At least I know of one oddity about it: In the manual it says that one of
the PCI slots 'have some special features'. In this slot the LT Winmodem
(The print is labelled compaq v34) is situated.

The whole reason I asked about this was that no other OS than win98(and
possibly win95) work with this modem(at least not on this PC). win2k and
winXP says it's not getting the required resources from the firmware. From
what I read this is because of differences in how W2k+ and Win98 handle
bios'es.(?) This modem(and LPT1) both have CPQBIOS adresses.
I thought perhaps getting the 'original' BIOS could solve this.

> "Tom Scales" > wrote in message
>> Just because someone like Mitac MADE it, doesn't mean COMPAQ didn't
>> DESIGN
>> it. In other words, it's not a standard Mitac.

Toman
August 19th 03, 11:35 PM
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 15:50:11 -0700, Rick > wrote:

> "Toman" > wrote in message
>> It says 'Typhoon' on the back, and most (light blue) compaq labels on it
>> says TPN-(some numbers). Who made boards named typhoon? Is typhoon a
>> manufacturer?
>
> The only 'Typhoon' I'm aware of was made by Tyan (S1452), but it's
> definitely not that model. The S1452 was an EISA system.
>
>> How on earth can I get info on a mitac board from 1998, btw?
>
> http://www.mitacservice.com/visitor/v_welcome.asp?SelLang=1
>
> Good luck. Mitac won't be winning any awards for website design.

Thanks, that link is purple here :)
I spent some one hr before I gave up, the site seem to be aiming at people
who know *exactly* what they're looking for.