PDA

View Full Version : XP Drivers for Presario 5000Z CTO Model

Mike
August 17th 03, 08:00 PM
Im trying to find the required XP drivers for a clean install of XP Home
that im doing on a Presario 5000Z.
I haven't been able to determine the actual model number yet, but did get
the original system configuration by doing a search with the serial number
here: http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/parts/hwlookup.asp

Serial #: 9123CGWZL758

This showed the 5000Z series, but no model number. The model number lookup
wont work with the serial number i entered, and i think this is due to the
fact that this is a CTO model.
I found this reply on the Compaq Forum for someone else with a CTO model.
"As this model is a Configure to Order model (CTO), this model is not listed
in the software and drivers website. To get the updates, contact Compaq
Order Center at 800-952-7689 and order the Enhancement CD pack."

There has got to be some way of obtaining the correct drivers and or BIOS
upgrades (if needed) without ordering this Enhanced CD Pack.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Rick
August 17th 03, 08:30 PM
"Mike" > wrote in message ...
> Im trying to find the required XP drivers for a clean install of XP Home
> that im doing on a Presario 5000Z.
> I haven't been able to determine the actual model number yet, but did get
> the original system configuration by doing a search with the serial number
> here: http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/parts/hwlookup.asp
>
> Serial #: 9123CGWZL758
>
> This showed the 5000Z series, but no model number. The model number lookup
> wont work with the serial number i entered, and i think this is due to the
> fact that this is a CTO model.
> I found this reply on the Compaq Forum for someone else with a CTO model.
> "As this model is a Configure to Order model (CTO), this model is not listed
> in the software and drivers website. To get the updates, contact Compaq
> Order Center at 800-952-7689 and order the Enhancement CD pack."
>
> There has got to be some way of obtaining the correct drivers and or BIOS
> upgrades (if needed) without ordering this Enhanced CD Pack.
>
> Any ideas are appreciated.

First step is to look on the motherboard and get exact numbers
off the chipset, onboard network card, video and audio (if present),
etc. Then take your list, go to each manufacturer's website and
download the latest XP driver. Win2K drivers will likely work if
no XP-specific drivers are available.

As far as system bios, that's the only Compaq-specific update you
should need to worry about. Go into your system bios and write
down the "ROM Family" ID. Download and install the latest
system bios for that family. I'm familiar with two, hopefully your
system is one of these. For 686Y2 the download is here:
http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_detail.asp?Model=2755&Div=4&Os=0&SoftwareVer=15353

And for 686C3:
http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_detail.asp?Model=2371&Div=4&Os=0&SoftwareVer=12954

(above links may wrap)

Rick

Mike Calkins
August 17th 03, 08:38 PM
I'd start by checking the Windows XP compatibility from Microsoft's
website... This should list issues with XP, and devices that may not work
properly.
Then you'll have your shopping list...... IMHO the enhancement CD is worth
the $10.

Mike in Houston

"Mike" > wrote in message
> Im trying to find the required XP drivers for a clean install of XP Home
> that im doing on a Presario 5000Z.
> I haven't been able to determine the actual model number yet, but did get
> the original system configuration by doing a search with the serial number
> here: http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/parts/hwlookup.asp
>
> Serial #: 9123CGWZL758
>
> This showed the 5000Z series, but no model number. The model number lookup
> wont work with the serial number i entered, and i think this is due to the
> fact that this is a CTO model.
> I found this reply on the Compaq Forum for someone else with a CTO model.
> "As this model is a Configure to Order model (CTO), this model is not
listed
> in the software and drivers website. To get the updates, contact Compaq
> Order Center at 800-952-7689 and order the Enhancement CD pack."
>
> There has got to be some way of obtaining the correct drivers and or BIOS
> upgrades (if needed) without ordering this Enhanced CD Pack.
>
> Any ideas are appreciated.

Mike
August 18th 03, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I had gone ahead and tried installing XP and it detected all devices and
installation went without a hitch.
My ROM Family is 786K3. ROM Date 5/3/01
The only place i could find anything relating to this was at the link below,
and this was after searching Google.
Compaq's search turned up nothing.
The date on the new ROM update is 9/4/01.
Don't think its worth upgrading if all is o.k. and my actual model number is
still in question.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/18501.html

"Mike" > wrote in message
> Im trying to find the required XP drivers for a clean install of XP Home
> that im doing on a Presario 5000Z.
> I haven't been able to determine the actual model number yet, but did get
> the original system configuration by doing a search with the serial number
> here: http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/parts/hwlookup.asp
>
> Serial #: 9123CGWZL758
>
> This showed the 5000Z series, but no model number. The model number lookup
> wont work with the serial number i entered, and i think this is due to the
> fact that this is a CTO model.
> I found this reply on the Compaq Forum for someone else with a CTO model.
> "As this model is a Configure to Order model (CTO), this model is not
listed
> in the software and drivers website. To get the updates, contact Compaq
> Order Center at 800-952-7689 and order the Enhancement CD pack."
>
> There has got to be some way of obtaining the correct drivers and or BIOS
> upgrades (if needed) without ordering this Enhanced CD Pack.
>
> Any ideas are appreciated.

Quaoar
August 19th 03, 05:40 PM
Mike wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
> I had gone ahead and tried installing XP and it detected all devices
> and installation went without a hitch.
> My ROM Family is 786K3. ROM Date 5/3/01
> The only place i could find anything relating to this was at the link
> below, and this was after searching Google.
> Compaq's search turned up nothing.
> The date on the new ROM update is 9/4/01.
> Don't think its worth upgrading if all is o.k. and my actual model
> number is still in question.
> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/18501.html
>
> "Mike" > wrote in message
>> Im trying to find the required XP drivers for a clean install of XP
>> Home that im doing on a Presario 5000Z.
>> I haven't been able to determine the actual model number yet, but
>> did get the original system configuration by doing a search with the
>> serial number here:
>> http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/parts/hwlookup.asp
>>
>> Serial #: 9123CGWZL758
>>
>> This showed the 5000Z series, but no model number. The model number
>> lookup wont work with the serial number i entered, and i think this
>> is due to the fact that this is a CTO model.
>> I found this reply on the Compaq Forum for someone else with a CTO
>> model. "As this model is a Configure to Order model (CTO), this
>> model is not listed in the software and drivers website. To get the
>> updates, contact Compaq Order Center at 800-952-7689 and order the
>> Enhancement CD pack."
>>
>> There has got to be some way of obtaining the correct drivers and or
>> BIOS upgrades (if needed) without ordering this Enhanced CD Pack.
>>
>> Any ideas are appreciated.

Google: rom 786k3 returns this:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/18501.html