PDA

View Full Version : Presario overheating with mem upgrade

news.shore.net
August 15th 03, 08:02 PM
I have had the Presario 715 US for about a year and it has been working very
well. This week I purchased a PNY PC133 256MB mem upgrade to give me a
total of 512 (32 shared with video). Since I installed the update I have
noticed that the laptop has been running very warm and crashes about once
every hour to 45 minutes.

Naturally I removed the chip and it seems to be behaving normally, but I was
wondering if anyone else has heard of issues where adding more memory causes
the system to crash. I just don't want to go through the hassle of sending
this chip back to the Internet retailer for a swap if I know that it is not
going to work in the end.

Quaoar
August 17th 03, 01:29 AM
news.shore.net wrote:
> I have had the Presario 715 US for about a year and it has been
> working very well. This week I purchased a PNY PC133 256MB mem
> upgrade to give me a total of 512 (32 shared with video). Since I
> installed the update I have noticed that the laptop has been running
> very warm and crashes about once every hour to 45 minutes.
>
> Naturally I removed the chip and it seems to be behaving normally,
> but I was wondering if anyone else has heard of issues where adding
> more memory causes the system to crash. I just don't want to go
> through the hassle of sending this chip back to the Internet retailer
> for a swap if I know that it is not going to work in the end.

If the HD is severely fragmented, the addition of the RAM makes for a
twice-larger pagefile, 1.125GB or so and larger power requirements to
handle the disk-thrashing to maintain the pagefile. If you have not
done so yet, Run Disk Cleanup followed by Defragmenter and see if the
heating is mitigated.

John Edward Scott
August 18th 03, 11:28 PM
"news.shore.net" > wrote in message
> I have had the Presario 715 US for about a year and it has been working
very
> well. This week I purchased a PNY PC133 256MB mem upgrade to give me a
> total of 512 (32 shared with video). Since I installed the update I have
> noticed that the laptop has been running very warm and crashes about once
> every hour to 45 minutes.
>
> Naturally I removed the chip and it seems to be behaving normally, but I
was
> wondering if anyone else has heard of issues where adding more memory
causes
> the system to crash. I just don't want to go through the hassle of
sending
> this chip back to the Internet retailer for a swap if I know that it is
not
> going to work in the end.

Hiya,

Take a look at a thread I wrote a while back titled "Compaq Presario 700
laptop overheating (Problem Solved?), it might just be related to your
problem.

Hope this helps,

John.

Alan Kerr
August 22nd 03, 03:35 AM
There was a patch for some models to alter the temperature that the fan
turns on at so they would run cooler. Check the Compaq (HP) website and see
if this is for your model

Alan