PDA

View Full Version : Presario 9232

Paul Dixon
August 11th 03, 07:47 PM
I have an old Presario 9232 that I wish to consign to a different task. To do
that, I need to be able to boot from CD.
To date, I have not managed to find a key combination that will let me access
the Setup ROM to see if a boot from CD option is available.
Can anyone advise me how to do this.

Regards, Paul Dixon

HH
August 11th 03, 08:42 PM
F10 at the Compaq logo screen when the cursor jumps to the upper right
corner of the screen.

HH

"Paul Dixon" > wrote in message
m...
> I have an old Presario 9232 that I wish to consign to a different task. To
do
> that, I need to be able to boot from CD.
> To date, I have not managed to find a key combination that will let me
access
> the Setup ROM to see if a boot from CD option is available.
> Can anyone advise me how to do this.
>
> Regards, Paul Dixon

Paul Dixon
August 12th 03, 04:33 PM
Hi Mike

Thanks for the response. I wonder if I could use a floppy to redirect to
the CD of my choice.
I want to use the system to experiment with home automation. For this I
want to use either Windows 2K, which I use on my other computers, or maybe
Linux.
The original hard drive failed, so I have a 6G disk divided into 3
partitions. I would really like to be able to install the operating system
of choice on a single 6G partition, hence my desire to boot from CD. I
have the original quick restore and an updated restore which can preserve
data, but being Windows 95, neither will install on a partition greater
than 2G.

Regards, Paul in Carrollton, Texas

"Mike Calkins" > wrote in message >...
> Hi Paul,
>
> The BIOS in that model didn't support a bootable CD-ROM, you could boot from
> the floppy and redirect to the CD-ROM, as the Quick Restore does..... A
> SCSI controller 'might' be able to boot from the CD-ROM, but you'd have to
> check the BIOS, and if it did boot from the SCSI CD-ROM, I would expect that
> the IDE hard drive should not be present in the system.
>
> Mind if I ask, what task are you trying accomplish with this unit?
>
> Mike in Houston

Mike Calkins
August 13th 03, 01:40 PM
I haven't tried this on the 9232, but have been successful on other PCs. Go
to www.bootdisk.com download and create the bootable floppy of the operating
system of your choice. After backing up your data, delete the partitions on
the 6 gig drive.
If you wish to be able to run setup via the F10 key, do not delete the
non-dos partition on the 6 gig drive.

Then, boot off of the bootable floppy that you created, and insert the
operating system CD in the drive. Usually, changing from A: to the CD ROM
drive, and executing the Setup.exe file will start the installation of the
operating system.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Mike

om...