PDA

View Full Version : 5070 will not boot...at all

RedWingFan
August 11th 03, 12:04 PM
My wife has a Presario 5070. Running Win98se. She said she had been
having trouble with it returning from standby. So much so she had
that box pop up askeing her since she had so much trouble returning
from standby did she want to prevent it from going into standby again.
She said no. Anyway, she turned off the computer the other day and
ried to turn it back on and nothing happened as fas as loading
anything. I can see it checking for the cd-drives and hear the hard
drive clicking at the very beginning, but that is it. The monitor
does not come on. When I turn the computer on, I can hear the monitor
come to life but no display and the light stays orange(Model#mv500).

I have tried several different things. I hooked my computer up to the
monitor and it does come on and can see everything. So I dont think
it is the monitor. Also the busy light and the "sun" light on the
computer stay on. No noise from the hard drive or anything. Thinking
it may be the hard drive, I installed it into my computer and I can
access it just fine. I tried taking the battery out for about 30 min
and rebooting and nothing. I tried to boot with the quick restore
disk in and again nothing....

I am going to see what happenes when I boot without the Hard drive and
see what happens....If it still does not do anything is the
motherboard fried? Also my wife really does not like change so if it
is the motherboard, with compaq being so proprietary(spelling?) is
there anything I can do, like buy a new motherboard or can I even do
that anyore with it being so old. Please help me!!!!!

Thank you very much.
RWF

Willie Hertza
August 11th 03, 04:38 PM
Try checking out the video card. The orange light says it's not sending
video to the display.
Could also be some BIOS issue, but knowing the display & HD are good, look
into
video next.

HTH

<RedWingFan> wrote in message
> My wife has a Presario 5070. Running Win98se. She said she had been
> having trouble with it returning from standby. So much so she had
> that box pop up askeing her since she had so much trouble returning
> from standby did she want to prevent it from going into standby again.
> She said no. Anyway, she turned off the computer the other day and
> ried to turn it back on and nothing happened as fas as loading
> anything. I can see it checking for the cd-drives and hear the hard
> drive clicking at the very beginning, but that is it. The monitor
> does not come on. When I turn the computer on, I can hear the monitor
> come to life but no display and the light stays orange(Model#mv500).
>
> I have tried several different things. I hooked my computer up to the
> monitor and it does come on and can see everything. So I dont think
> it is the monitor. Also the busy light and the "sun" light on the
> computer stay on. No noise from the hard drive or anything. Thinking
> it may be the hard drive, I installed it into my computer and I can
> access it just fine. I tried taking the battery out for about 30 min
> and rebooting and nothing. I tried to boot with the quick restore
> disk in and again nothing....
>
> I am going to see what happenes when I boot without the Hard drive and
> see what happens....If it still does not do anything is the
> motherboard fried? Also my wife really does not like change so if it
> is the motherboard, with compaq being so proprietary(spelling?) is
> there anything I can do, like buy a new motherboard or can I even do
> that anyore with it being so old. Please help me!!!!!
>

> Thank you very much.
> RWF

HH
August 11th 03, 04:39 PM
Try these two steps first:
1. After trying to boot up, push and hold the power button down for 4
seconds to totally power down, then wait a few seconds and push it (no hold
down) and see if it boots up.
2. If the above does not work, open the case and locate the label showing
where the CMOS clear switch is and how to use it. Clear CMOS, then try
rebooting and select restore defaults in CMOS(BIOS) setup.
HH

<RedWingFan> wrote in message
> My wife has a Presario 5070. Running Win98se. She said she had been
> having trouble with it returning from standby. So much so she had
> that box pop up askeing her since she had so much trouble returning
> from standby did she want to prevent it from going into standby again.
> She said no. Anyway, she turned off the computer the other day and
> ried to turn it back on and nothing happened as fas as loading
> anything. I can see it checking for the cd-drives and hear the hard
> drive clicking at the very beginning, but that is it. The monitor
> does not come on. When I turn the computer on, I can hear the monitor
> come to life but no display and the light stays orange(Model#mv500).
>
> I have tried several different things. I hooked my computer up to the
> monitor and it does come on and can see everything. So I dont think
> it is the monitor. Also the busy light and the "sun" light on the
> computer stay on. No noise from the hard drive or anything. Thinking
> it may be the hard drive, I installed it into my computer and I can
> access it just fine. I tried taking the battery out for about 30 min
> and rebooting and nothing. I tried to boot with the quick restore
> disk in and again nothing....
>
> I am going to see what happenes when I boot without the Hard drive and
> see what happens....If it still does not do anything is the
> motherboard fried? Also my wife really does not like change so if it
> is the motherboard, with compaq being so proprietary(spelling?) is
> there anything I can do, like buy a new motherboard or can I even do
> that anyore with it being so old. Please help me!!!!!
>

> Thank you very much.
> RWF

RedWingFan
August 12th 03, 02:18 AM
If it was the video card wouldnt it still load and I just wouldnt
beable to see it?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:38:59 -0500, "Willie Hertza"

> wrote:

>Try checking out the video card. The orange light says it's not sending
>video to the display.
>Could also be some BIOS issue, but knowing the display & HD are good, look
>into
>video next.
>
>HTH

><RedWingFan> wrote in message
>> My wife has a Presario 5070. Running Win98se. She said she had been
>> having trouble with it returning from standby. So much so she had
>> that box pop up askeing her since she had so much trouble returning
>> from standby did she want to prevent it from going into standby again.
>> She said no. Anyway, she turned off the computer the other day and
>> ried to turn it back on and nothing happened as fas as loading
>> anything. I can see it checking for the cd-drives and hear the hard
>> drive clicking at the very beginning, but that is it. The monitor
>> does not come on. When I turn the computer on, I can hear the monitor
>> come to life but no display and the light stays orange(Model#mv500).
>>
>> I have tried several different things. I hooked my computer up to the
>> monitor and it does come on and can see everything. So I dont think
>> it is the monitor. Also the busy light and the "sun" light on the
>> computer stay on. No noise from the hard drive or anything. Thinking
>> it may be the hard drive, I installed it into my computer and I can
>> access it just fine. I tried taking the battery out for about 30 min
>> and rebooting and nothing. I tried to boot with the quick restore
>> disk in and again nothing....
>>
>> I am going to see what happenes when I boot without the Hard drive and
>> see what happens....If it still does not do anything is the
>> motherboard fried? Also my wife really does not like change so if it
>> is the motherboard, with compaq being so proprietary(spelling?) is
>> there anything I can do, like buy a new motherboard or can I even do
>> that anyore with it being so old. Please help me!!!!!
>>

>> Thank you very much.
>> RWF

RedWingFan
August 12th 03, 02:27 AM
Thanks. Tried the #1 suggestion already with no luck.

I could not find any label saying how to clear the CMOS. I removed
the battery but not sure if that will do the same thing as clearing
the CMOS. Any other ideas? Or where I may be able to get a new
motherboard?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:39:35 GMT, "HH" > wrote:

>Try these two steps first:
>1. After trying to boot up, push and hold the power button down for 4
>seconds to totally power down, then wait a few seconds and push it (no hold
>down) and see if it boots up.
>2. If the above does not work, open the case and locate the label showing
>where the CMOS clear switch is and how to use it. Clear CMOS, then try
>rebooting and select restore defaults in CMOS(BIOS) setup.
>HH
>

><RedWingFan> wrote in message
>> My wife has a Presario 5070. Running Win98se. She said she had been
>> having trouble with it returning from standby. So much so she had
>> that box pop up askeing her since she had so much trouble returning
>> from standby did she want to prevent it from going into standby again.
>> She said no. Anyway, she turned off the computer the other day and
>> ried to turn it back on and nothing happened as fas as loading
>> anything. I can see it checking for the cd-drives and hear the hard
>> drive clicking at the very beginning, but that is it. The monitor
>> does not come on. When I turn the computer on, I can hear the monitor
>> come to life but no display and the light stays orange(Model#mv500).
>>
>> I have tried several different things. I hooked my computer up to the
>> monitor and it does come on and can see everything. So I dont think
>> it is the monitor. Also the busy light and the "sun" light on the
>> computer stay on. No noise from the hard drive or anything. Thinking
>> it may be the hard drive, I installed it into my computer and I can
>> access it just fine. I tried taking the battery out for about 30 min
>> and rebooting and nothing. I tried to boot with the quick restore
>> disk in and again nothing....
>>
>> I am going to see what happenes when I boot without the Hard drive and
>> see what happens....If it still does not do anything is the
>> motherboard fried? Also my wife really does not like change so if it
>> is the motherboard, with compaq being so proprietary(spelling?) is
>> there anything I can do, like buy a new motherboard or can I even do
>> that anyore with it being so old. Please help me!!!!!
>>

>> Thank you very much.
>> RWF

HH
August 12th 03, 02:40 AM
Heres the info attached. The CMOS jumper is a 3-pin jumper next to the
battery.
HH

<RedWingFan> wrote in message
> Thanks. Tried the #1 suggestion already with no luck.
>
> I could not find any label saying how to clear the CMOS. I removed
> the battery but not sure if that will do the same thing as clearing
> the CMOS. Any other ideas? Or where I may be able to get a new
> motherboard?
>

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:39:35 GMT, "HH" > wrote:
>
> >Try these two steps first:
> >1. After trying to boot up, push and hold the power button down for 4
> >seconds to totally power down, then wait a few seconds and push it (no
hold
> >down) and see if it boots up.
> >2. If the above does not work, open the case and locate the label showing
> >where the CMOS clear switch is and how to use it. Clear CMOS, then try
> >rebooting and select restore defaults in CMOS(BIOS) setup.
> >HH
> >

> ><RedWingFan> wrote in message
> >> My wife has a Presario 5070. Running Win98se. She said she had been
> >> having trouble with it returning from standby. So much so she had
> >> that box pop up askeing her since she had so much trouble returning
> >> from standby did she want to prevent it from going into standby again.
> >> She said no. Anyway, she turned off the computer the other day and
> >> ried to turn it back on and nothing happened as fas as loading
> >> anything. I can see it checking for the cd-drives and hear the hard
> >> drive clicking at the very beginning, but that is it. The monitor
> >> does not come on. When I turn the computer on, I can hear the monitor
> >> come to life but no display and the light stays orange(Model#mv500).
> >>
> >> I have tried several different things. I hooked my computer up to the
> >> monitor and it does come on and can see everything. So I dont think
> >> it is the monitor. Also the busy light and the "sun" light on the
> >> computer stay on. No noise from the hard drive or anything. Thinking
> >> it may be the hard drive, I installed it into my computer and I can
> >> access it just fine. I tried taking the battery out for about 30 min
> >> and rebooting and nothing. I tried to boot with the quick restore
> >> disk in and again nothing....
> >>
> >> I am going to see what happenes when I boot without the Hard drive and
> >> see what happens....If it still does not do anything is the
> >> motherboard fried? Also my wife really does not like change so if it
> >> is the motherboard, with compaq being so proprietary(spelling?) is
> >> there anything I can do, like buy a new motherboard or can I even do
> >> that anyore with it being so old. Please help me!!!!!
> >>

> >> Thank you very much.
> >> RWF

Willie Hertza
August 12th 03, 06:30 PM
<RedWingFan> wrote in message
> If it was the video card wouldnt it still load and I just wouldnt
> beable to see it?

Not necessarily - without a display, how do you know WHAT it's doing? If
CMOS is
looking to see what system components are connected and doesn't detect
video, it may
not proceed.

BTW, what about the power on beeps? Any change in the pattern? That's often
a clue when you can't see anything.

RedWingFan
August 13th 03, 03:31 AM
HH,

Ok I reset the CMOS which then let me boot the computer up. It came
up and counted the ram. I was then able to reboot to the BIOS. I did
all this without the hard drive installed. Then I selected default on
BIOS and rebooted and it told me that no standard diskette drive was
found and then it said there were 2 cd roms available. Well I
shutdown and re-installed the hard drive and I am having the same prob
without it loading up and nothing on the monitor. It is getting very
aggrivating. Any other ideas?

RWF