PDA

View Full Version : Compaq 1200xl keyboard replacement

NTL World
August 9th 03, 10:48 AM
the keyboard on my compaq presario 1200XL laptop has failed, after being
attacked with cranberry juice...
I can find plenty of places to buy a replacement keyboard (part no
171003-031).
Trouble is I can't find any instructions on how to remove the old key board
and fit the new one.
can any one help?

Thanks
John.

MJS
August 9th 03, 11:19 AM
Thanks Tom,
The keyboard has now been removed, I'll order a new one and hopefully it
will be up and running again within a few days.
John.

"Tom C" > wrote in message
> Remove the four screws from below the touchpad / speaker assembly, note
the
> size, they are different. Gently pry the touchpad / speaker panel upward
> beginning at one side. It may be a little stiff as there are plastic
clips.
> With that removed the keyboard lifts out, release the retainer on the
ribbon
> cable zif connector and remove the keyboard. For what it's worth, when I
> needed one, I found several keyboards on EBay for about $40 plus shipping
or
> a new one from Compaq for $55 incl. shipping. They quoted UPS ground
> shipping but used next day air at no additional cost.
>
> Tom
> "NTL World" > wrote in message
> > the keyboard on my compaq presario 1200XL laptop has failed, after being
> > attacked with cranberry juice...
> > I can find plenty of places to buy a replacement keyboard (part no
> > 171003-031).
> > Trouble is I can't find any instructions on how to remove the old key
> board
> > and fit the new one.
> > can any one help?
> >
> > Thanks
> > John.

HH
August 9th 03, 03:42 PM
John,
Which 1200XL? There are Dozens of them and several M&S Guides are available.
HH

"NTL World" > wrote in message
> the keyboard on my compaq presario 1200XL laptop has failed, after being
> attacked with cranberry juice...
> I can find plenty of places to buy a replacement keyboard (part no
> 171003-031).
> Trouble is I can't find any instructions on how to remove the old key
board
> and fit the new one.
> can any one help?
>
> Thanks
> John.

HH
August 9th 03, 03:47 PM
"NTL World" > wrote in message
> the keyboard on my compaq presario 1200XL laptop has failed, after being
> attacked with cranberry juice...
> I can find plenty of places to buy a replacement keyboard (part no
> 171003-031).
> Trouble is I can't find any instructions on how to remove the old key
board
> and fit the new one.
> can any one help?
>
> Thanks
> John.

MJS
August 10th 03, 06:52 PM
HH
it's a presario 1200-xl116
Are the guides available online?

"HH" > wrote in message
> John,
> Which 1200XL? There are Dozens of them and several M&S Guides are
available.
> HH
>
> "NTL World" > wrote in message
> > the keyboard on my compaq presario 1200XL laptop has failed, after being
> > attacked with cranberry juice...
> > I can find plenty of places to buy a replacement keyboard (part no
> > 171003-031).
> > Trouble is I can't find any instructions on how to remove the old key
> board
> > and fit the new one.
> > can any one help?
> >
> > Thanks
> > John.

HH
August 10th 03, 10:11 PM
No. At least not on the U.S. website.
HH

"MJS" > wrote in message
> HH
> it's a presario 1200-xl116
> Are the guides available online?
>
> "HH" > wrote in message
> > John,
> > Which 1200XL? There are Dozens of them and several M&S Guides are
> available.
> > HH
> >
> > "NTL World" > wrote in message
> > > the keyboard on my compaq presario 1200XL laptop has failed, after
being
> > > attacked with cranberry juice...
> > > I can find plenty of places to buy a replacement keyboard (part no
> > > 171003-031).
> > > Trouble is I can't find any instructions on how to remove the old key
> > board
> > > and fit the new one.
> > > can any one help?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > John.

Explorer8939
August 21st 03, 12:17 AM
Actually, there are online manuals, I found a manual in PDF format for
my 12XL300 Presario just by looking at hp.com.

The problem isn't removing the keyboard, its not getting a new one,
its getting the new keyboard connector back into the ZIF slot!