PDA

View Full Version : What are these CDs?

Ken Knecht
August 6th 03, 06:03 PM
When I bought my Compaq Presario 5000T desktop with XP Home
almost two years ago it came with a Recovery CD with a Compaq
logo and a three-CD set labeled QuickRestore, again with a Compaq
logo.

What's the difference and what should these be used for? From the
names I hope I never have need for them but it's best to be
prepared.

TIA

Ken

HH
August 6th 03, 06:59 PM
Ken,
Think of the Recovery CD as "Quick Restore light."
It will restore your 5000T to the original software image, IF the compressed
Compaq folders are still on the D: drive. The Quick Restore CDs do not need
the folders.
HH

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
.206...
> When I bought my Compaq Presario 5000T desktop with XP Home
> almost two years ago it came with a Recovery CD with a Compaq
> logo and a three-CD set labeled QuickRestore, again with a Compaq
> logo.
>
> What's the difference and what should these be used for? From the
> names I hope I never have need for them but it's best to be
> prepared.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

J. Peterman
August 6th 03, 09:50 PM
I have a compaq laptop with the same cds and a partition called d: that has
a bunch of stuff on it....
Is it safe for me to delete all that stuff as long as I keep hold of my
quick restore cds? There's 2gigs worth of space I could use..
"HH" > wrote in message
> Ken,
> Think of the Recovery CD as "Quick Restore light."
> It will restore your 5000T to the original software image, IF the
compressed
> Compaq folders are still on the D: drive. The Quick Restore CDs do not
need
> the folders.
> HH
>
> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> .206...
> > When I bought my Compaq Presario 5000T desktop with XP Home
> > almost two years ago it came with a Recovery CD with a Compaq
> > logo and a three-CD set labeled QuickRestore, again with a Compaq
> > logo.
> >
> > What's the difference and what should these be used for? From the
> > names I hope I never have need for them but it's best to be
> > prepared.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Ken

Alan Kerr
August 7th 03, 01:32 AM
> Is it safe for me to delete all that stuff as long as I keep hold of my
> quick restore cds? There's 2gigs worth of space I could use..

I had the same problem and decided on fitting a larger (40GB) HDD. I bought
an external USB HDD that I fitted the old 5GB drive into. Great for swapping
stuff between my laptop and desktop (or any desktop). It is great having the
large HDD and the D partition just ain't an issue anymore. I bought an IBM
drive and it was cheap and a breeze to fit.

Alan