PDA

View Full Version : Installing new drive

Tony Williams
August 4th 03, 07:31 PM
Can someone (probably HH?) point me in the direction of instructions on how
to install a new hard drive in a Desktop 4000. Following my previous post I
downloaded the softpaq and diagnostics discs but the diagnostics don't seem
to work I keep getting message saying cant find NTdll and asking to insert
new disc. I thought the diagnostic was a bootable disc. The disc I am
installing is a Maxtor which says on it Cable Select jumper installed does
this mean I can't use it with ordinary IDE cables?
I really need some ABC help here I'm not used to Compaq PC's with their
special boot configuration
TIA

--
Tony Williams

HH
August 4th 03, 07:49 PM
As long as the cable is a cable select compatible cable. Is the new HD
already partitioned and formatted?
Is it a Presario?
HH

"Tony Williams" > wrote in message
> Can someone (probably HH?) point me in the direction of instructions on
how
> to install a new hard drive in a Desktop 4000. Following my previous post
> downloaded the softpaq and diagnostics discs but the diagnostics don't
seem
> to work I keep getting message saying cant find NTdll and asking to insert
> new disc. I thought the diagnostic was a bootable disc. The disc I am
> installing is a Maxtor which says on it Cable Select jumper installed does
> this mean I can't use it with ordinary IDE cables?
> I really need some ABC help here I'm not used to Compaq PC's with their
> special boot configuration
> TIA
>
> --
> Tony Williams

Mike Calkins
August 4th 03, 07:58 PM
Clear the BIOS, and if their is an external NIC in a slot, remove it. It
may be looking to boot off of the network.

Mike in Houston

"Tony Williams" > wrote in message
> Can someone (probably HH?) point me in the direction of instructions on
how
> to install a new hard drive in a Desktop 4000. Following my previous post
> downloaded the softpaq and diagnostics discs but the diagnostics don't
seem
> to work I keep getting message saying cant find NTdll and asking to insert
> new disc. I thought the diagnostic was a bootable disc. The disc I am
> installing is a Maxtor which says on it Cable Select jumper installed does
> this mean I can't use it with ordinary IDE cables?
> I really need some ABC help here I'm not used to Compaq PC's with their
> special boot configuration
> TIA
>
> --
> Tony Williams

Tony Williams
August 4th 03, 08:04 PM
Sorry it's a Deskpro!!!
"HH" > wrote in message
. ..
> As long as the cable is a cable select compatible cable. Is the new HD
> already partitioned and formatted?
> Is it a Presario?
> HH
>
> "Tony Williams" > wrote in message
> > Can someone (probably HH?) point me in the direction of instructions on
> how
> > to install a new hard drive in a Desktop 4000. Following my previous
post
> > downloaded the softpaq and diagnostics discs but the diagnostics don't
> seem
> > to work I keep getting message saying cant find NTdll and asking to
insert
> > new disc. I thought the diagnostic was a bootable disc. The disc I am
> > installing is a Maxtor which says on it Cable Select jumper installed
does
> > this mean I can't use it with ordinary IDE cables?
> > I really need some ABC help here I'm not used to Compaq PC's with their
> > special boot configuration
> > TIA
> >
> > --
> > Tony Williams

Tony Williams
August 4th 03, 08:06 PM
Thanks Mike how do I clear the BIOS there doesn't seem to be any jumpers and
the bios battery looks as if its soldered to the contacts. Sorry its a
Deskpro not Presario
Tony
"Mike Calkins" > wrote in message
igy.com...
> Clear the BIOS, and if their is an external NIC in a slot, remove it. It
> may be looking to boot off of the network.
>
> Mike in Houston
>
> "Tony Williams" > wrote in message
> > Can someone (probably HH?) point me in the direction of instructions on
> how
> > to install a new hard drive in a Desktop 4000. Following my previous
post
> > downloaded the softpaq and diagnostics discs but the diagnostics don't
> seem
> > to work I keep getting message saying cant find NTdll and asking to
insert
> > new disc. I thought the diagnostic was a bootable disc. The disc I am
> > installing is a Maxtor which says on it Cable Select jumper installed
does
> > this mean I can't use it with ordinary IDE cables?
> > I really need some ABC help here I'm not used to Compaq PC's with their
> > special boot configuration
> > TIA
> >
> > --
> > Tony Williams

Mike Calkins
August 4th 03, 08:14 PM
Jumper settings are on a sticker, usually on the underside of the cover.
It is also usually the jumper closest to the battery on the motherboard.

When in doubt, make careful notation (or digital photo) of the current
jumper settings. Then, pull the jumpers, wait 5 minutes, and return them to
the SAME locations.

Serial number posted could get you more precise information.

Mike in Houston

"Tony Williams" > wrote in message
> Thanks Mike how do I clear the BIOS there doesn't seem to be any jumpers
and
> the bios battery looks as if its soldered to the contacts. Sorry its a
> Deskpro not Presario
> Tony
> "Mike Calkins" > wrote in message
> igy.com...
> > Clear the BIOS, and if their is an external NIC in a slot, remove it.
It
> > may be looking to boot off of the network.
> >
> > Mike in Houston
> >
> > "Tony Williams" > wrote in message
> > > Can someone (probably HH?) point me in the direction of instructions
on
> > how
> > > to install a new hard drive in a Desktop 4000. Following my previous
> post
> > > downloaded the softpaq and diagnostics discs but the diagnostics don't
> > seem
> > > to work I keep getting message saying cant find NTdll and asking to
> insert
> > > new disc. I thought the diagnostic was a bootable disc. The disc I am
> > > installing is a Maxtor which says on it Cable Select jumper installed
> does
> > > this mean I can't use it with ordinary IDE cables?
> > > I really need some ABC help here I'm not used to Compaq PC's with
their
> > > special boot configuration
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > --
> > > Tony Williams

Jack H
August 4th 03, 08:25 PM
Tony, a couple of days ago, I helped a friend install a 30 gig Maxtor hard
drive, into a model 5304 Compaq. This computer is probably several years
old. The new hard drive was to eventually be used as the master. To transfer
the existing files from the original hard drive, we set the new hd jumper to
cable select and connected the IDE cable as the slave. The old hd was
jumpered as Cable Select and the cable was installed as the master. We
inserted the CD that came with the new drive and chose to make the new hd
bootable, and then to copy all of the old hd to the new hd. When the copying
was finished we rebooted to the old hd. We verified that the old files had
been copyed to the new hd. We then shut down the computer and changed the
IDE cables on the both hd to make the new hd the master and the old hd the
slave. We rebooted and the computer would not boot. We tried changing the
jumpers and cables to use the master and slave system, it still did not
boot. We talked to two different Maxtor Techs, both were evidently having a
bad hair day. The next day we reformatted the new hd, and used the Maxtor CD
making the same selections as we chose the day before. This time it worked
perfectly.
My suggestion would be to call the Maxtor Tech before you start for step by
step instrutions, particularly how to jumper both harddrives , you will have
to chose between the cable select system or the old master/slave setup.

> wrote in message
> Can someone (probably HH?) point me in the direction of instructions on
how
> to install a new hard drive in a Desktop 4000. Following my previous post
> downloaded the softpaq and diagnostics discs but the diagnostics don't
seem
> to work I keep getting message saying cant find NTdll and asking to insert
> new disc. I thought the diagnostic was a bootable disc. The disc I am
> installing is a Maxtor which says on it Cable Select jumper installed does
> this mean I can't use it with ordinary IDE cables?
> I really need some ABC help here I'm not used to Compaq PC's with their
> special boot configuration
> TIA
>
> --
> Tony Williams

donut
August 4th 03, 08:37 PM
"Tony Williams" > wrote in
:

> The disc I am
> installing is a Maxtor which says on it Cable Select jumper installed
> does this mean I can't use it with ordinary IDE cables?

My Presario supposedly is set up to use Cable Select, but in practice, the
results are unpredictable.

Go with the tried and true Master/Slave arrangement and you can't go wrong.

Tony Williams
August 5th 03, 10:40 AM
HH Is it possible to delete the hidden partition on the c drive and get the
PC to boot up as a "normal" PC If I formatted the new drive on another
machine as Format /s would it boot to the C:\ command?
Tony
"HH" > wrote in message
. ..
> As long as the cable is a cable select compatible cable. Is the new HD
> already partitioned and formatted?
> Is it a Presario?
> HH
>
> "Tony Williams" > wrote in message
> > Can someone (probably HH?) point me in the direction of instructions on
> how
> > to install a new hard drive in a Desktop 4000. Following my previous
post
> > downloaded the softpaq and diagnostics discs but the diagnostics don't
> seem
> > to work I keep getting message saying cant find NTdll and asking to
insert
> > new disc. I thought the diagnostic was a bootable disc. The disc I am
> > installing is a Maxtor which says on it Cable Select jumper installed
does
> > this mean I can't use it with ordinary IDE cables?
> > I really need some ABC help here I'm not used to Compaq PC's with their
> > special boot configuration
> > TIA
> >
> > --
> > Tony Williams

Tony Williams
August 5th 03, 12:45 PM
This is driving me NUTS! I have created diagnostic and startup discs I have
formatted the new drive but the diagnostic disk wont boot I get a message
that says Non system disk replace disk
What am I doing wrong? The diagnostic disk will boot with the old disk in
but not the new
Should the new be formatted and partitioned? I've followed the instructions
from the Compaq site but I still cant get it to work. I'm slowly loosing
control. Can ANYONE HELP??????
Tony
"Tony Williams" > wrote in message
> Can someone (probably HH?) point me in the direction of instructions on
how
> to install a new hard drive in a Desktop 4000. Following my previous post
> downloaded the softpaq and diagnostics discs but the diagnostics don't
seem
> to work I keep getting message saying cant find NTdll and asking to insert
> new disc. I thought the diagnostic was a bootable disc. The disc I am
> installing is a Maxtor which says on it Cable Select jumper installed does
> this mean I can't use it with ordinary IDE cables?
> I really need some ABC help here I'm not used to Compaq PC's with their
> special boot configuration
> TIA
>
> --
> Tony Williams

Jack H
August 5th 03, 01:45 PM
"Tony Williams" > wrote in message
> This is driving me NUTS! I have created diagnostic and startup discs I
have

Tony, what operating system are you using, I seem to remember that some of
Maxtor's stuff does not work with Win XP.
Try Maxtor's web page. I have heard about Compaq's boot problem, but I know
nothing about it. Does Compaq or HP have an email address you can usefor a
little tech support? I know this is not much help.

Tony Williams
August 5th 03, 01:57 PM
Thanks Jack I'm using W98SE. I've downloaded the instructions from the
Compaq site but as you see I'm still having problems
Tony
"Jack H" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Tony Williams" > wrote in message
> > This is driving me NUTS! I have created diagnostic and startup discs I
> have
>
> Tony, what operating system are you using, I seem to remember that some of
> Maxtor's stuff does not work with Win XP.
> Try Maxtor's web page. I have heard about Compaq's boot problem, but I
know
> nothing about it. Does Compaq or HP have an email address you can usefor a
> little tech support? I know this is not much help.

Jack H
August 5th 03, 03:51 PM
Tony, I have sort of lost track of this thread. I think you said you have a
new Maxtor HD. Did you get a CD with the new drive? If you did, you should
be able to run the CD, select make the new HD bootable, and to copy the old
HD files to the new HD. On the first go set the jumper on old HD, to cable
select, with the ribbon IDE connector attached to the old HD at the first
connection. Set the new HD jumper to cable select, and attach the ribbon
IDE connection to the second connector.
After the files on the old HD have been copied to the new CD, shut the
computer down and change the IDE ribbon connection to: old HD, use second
connector, new HD use the first connection. This will make the new HD a
master and the old HD the slave. If it goes well you should be able to
bootup on your new HD. If this happens your new HD will be "C", and your old
HD will be"D". Each of them will have the same files, you can then safely
delete the old HD.
If you do not use cable select, you can jumper the HDs as master or slave,
in this case it does not matter which connection on the IDE cable is used.

HH
August 5th 03, 04:46 PM
Remove the partitions and the boot diskette should work. Just follow the
prompts. The original cable was Cable Select. These cables have the drive
positions on the cable or connectors, i.e., drive 0 for master and drive 1
for slave.
Newer cables use color coding, black for master and grey for slave.

HH

"Tony Williams" > wrote in message
> HH Is it possible to delete the hidden partition on the c drive and get
the
> PC to boot up as a "normal" PC If I formatted the new drive on another
> machine as Format /s would it boot to the C:\ command?
> Tony
> "HH" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > As long as the cable is a cable select compatible cable. Is the new HD
> > already partitioned and formatted?
> > Is it a Presario?
> > HH
> >
> > "Tony Williams" > wrote in message
> > > Can someone (probably HH?) point me in the direction of instructions
on
> > how
> > > to install a new hard drive in a Desktop 4000. Following my previous
> post
> > > downloaded the softpaq and diagnostics discs but the diagnostics don't
> > seem
> > > to work I keep getting message saying cant find NTdll and asking to
> insert
> > > new disc. I thought the diagnostic was a bootable disc. The disc I am
> > > installing is a Maxtor which says on it Cable Select jumper installed
> does
> > > this mean I can't use it with ordinary IDE cables?
> > > I really need some ABC help here I'm not used to Compaq PC's with
their
> > > special boot configuration
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > --
> > > Tony Williams

Tony Williams
August 5th 03, 06:09 PM
Thanks for all that Jack That's what I was hoping to do. However it seems
that the problem might be a bit more fundamental! The friend's PC is a
Deskpro 4000 and it would appear that it doesn't like a drive of 10GB. I
tried to setup a partition using fdisk (its not a new drive, works fine
though in my machine) and even that complained it got to 24% and said no
more space to create partition. Nothing on the drive at all so how could it
run out of space? I think the MB and CMOS just can't cope with a 10GB drive.
I think I'm on the verge of giving up!!
Tony
"Jack H" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Tony, I have sort of lost track of this thread. I think you said you have
> new Maxtor HD. Did you get a CD with the new drive? If you did, you should
> be able to run the CD, select make the new HD bootable, and to copy the
old
> HD files to the new HD. On the first go set the jumper on old HD, to
cable
> select, with the ribbon IDE connector attached to the old HD at the first
> connection. Set the new HD jumper to cable select, and attach the ribbon
> IDE connection to the second connector.
> After the files on the old HD have been copied to the new CD, shut the
> computer down and change the IDE ribbon connection to: old HD, use second
> connector, new HD use the first connection. This will make the new HD a
> master and the old HD the slave. If it goes well you should be able to
> bootup on your new HD. If this happens your new HD will be "C", and your
old
> HD will be"D". Each of them will have the same files, you can then safely
> delete the old HD.
> If you do not use cable select, you can jumper the HDs as master or slave,
> in this case it does not matter which connection on the IDE cable is used.

Jack H
August 5th 03, 07:32 PM
Tony, I am sorry I missed the mark. Your machine is evidently several years
old, and has a BIOS limitation on harddrive size. I know some
computers/motherboards have updated BIOS you can flash that will remove a
the harddrive limitation.
I think I read that Maxtor has a procedure to work around the limitation. I
see on Maxtor's web site that their MaxBlast has a procedure to, " Set Drive
Size Utility for BIOS limited systems".That is the extent of my knowledge-
good luck.

Tony Williams
August 5th 03, 07:58 PM
Thank you Jack you have been extremely helpful and its always nice to know
someone "out there" is ready to listen
Tony
nk.net...