PDA

View Full Version : Re: 'input signal out of range' error message

Homer Simpson
August 1st 03, 02:33 AM
That sounds more like a message from your monitor instead of from the PC.
Try booting to safe mode (keep pressing the F5 key) and make sure your
monitor make and model is identified by ME. If it is identified correctly,
then the signal should not go out of range - your Matrox card may be flaky.
If it isn't identified, get the proper "driver" (INF file) from the monitor
manufacturer's website and install it.

"John Orrett" > wrote in message
> Hi all, running Win ME on a Deskpro. For some reason, the above message
has
> started appearing now and again, and I cannot see the screen, only the
> message. The PC then reboots itself.
> The PC is using a Matrox millennium card, but no settings have been
changed
> recently.
> Any thoughts?
> Thanks
> John

Mike Calkins
August 1st 03, 03:00 PM
If it is not the monitor, the video card is less than $5.00 at
computer.surplusoutlet.com

Mike in Houston

"Homer Simpson" > wrote in message
> That sounds more like a message from your monitor instead of from the PC.
> Try booting to safe mode (keep pressing the F5 key) and make sure your
> monitor make and model is identified by ME. If it is identified
correctly,
> then the signal should not go out of range - your Matrox card may be
flaky.
> If it isn't identified, get the proper "driver" (INF file) from the
monitor
> manufacturer's website and install it.
>

> "John Orrett" > wrote in message
> > Hi all, running Win ME on a Deskpro. For some reason, the above message
> has
> > started appearing now and again, and I cannot see the screen, only the
> > message. The PC then reboots itself.
> > The PC is using a Matrox millennium card, but no settings have been
> changed
> > recently.
> > Any thoughts?
> > Thanks
> > John

John Orrett
August 1st 03, 04:47 PM
Hi Mike, in the end the registry was knackered. I reinstalled Windows and
*fingers crossed* it seems to be working fine.
Good price on the card - not quite sure it will be so cheap in the UK!
Regards
John

"Mike Calkins" > wrote in message
gy.com...
> If it is not the monitor, the video card is less than $5.00 at
> computer.surplusoutlet.com
>
> Mike in Houston
>

> "Homer Simpson" > wrote in message
> > That sounds more like a message from your monitor instead of from the
PC.
> > Try booting to safe mode (keep pressing the F5 key) and make sure your
> > monitor make and model is identified by ME. If it is identified
> correctly,
> > then the signal should not go out of range - your Matrox card may be
> flaky.
> > If it isn't identified, get the proper "driver" (INF file) from the
> monitor
> > manufacturer's website and install it.
> >

> > "John Orrett" > wrote in message
> > > Hi all, running Win ME on a Deskpro. For some reason, the above
message
> > has
> > > started appearing now and again, and I cannot see the screen, only the
> > > message. The PC then reboots itself.
> > > The PC is using a Matrox millennium card, but no settings have been
> > changed
> > > recently.
> > > Any thoughts?
> > > Thanks
> > > John

Mike Calkins
August 1st 03, 07:29 PM
John,

Glad you got it fixed!

(and I learned a new word!)

Mike in Houston

"John Orrett" > wrote in message
> Hi Mike, in the end the registry was knackered. I reinstalled Windows and
> *fingers crossed* it seems to be working fine.
> Good price on the card - not quite sure it will be so cheap in the UK!
> Regards
> John
>
> "Mike Calkins" > wrote in message
> gy.com...
> > If it is not the monitor, the video card is less than $5.00 at
> > computer.surplusoutlet.com
> >
> > Mike in Houston
> >

> > "Homer Simpson" > wrote in message
> > > That sounds more like a message from your monitor instead of from the
> PC.
> > > Try booting to safe mode (keep pressing the F5 key) and make sure your
> > > monitor make and model is identified by ME. If it is identified
> > correctly,
> > > then the signal should not go out of range - your Matrox card may be
> > flaky.
> > > If it isn't identified, get the proper "driver" (INF file) from the
> > monitor
> > > manufacturer's website and install it.

> message
> > > has
> > > changed

John Orrett
August 4th 03, 11:16 AM
Hi bobb, the message appeared when Windows was already up and running -
maybe an hour after starting it up. I reinstalled win ME and fingers
crossed, everything seems ok.
Regards
John

"- Bobb -" > wrote in message
et...
> I suspect hat message is a RESULT of the PC rebooting, not a video
problem.
> Depending upon my setting in my PC BIOS, I can choose to have it ... lose
> sync, go blank etc. So if I turn on my monitor prior to my PC , I see that
> message, or during a reboot I see it - the screen message is simply a
status
> report that the monitor is telling you: it is not getting a good input
> signal.
>
> bobb
>

> "John Orrett" > wrote in message
> > Hi all, running Win ME on a Deskpro. For some reason, the above message
> has
> > started appearing now and again, and I cannot see the screen, only the
> > message. The PC then reboots itself.
> > The PC is using a Matrox millennium card, but no settings have been
> changed
> > recently.
> > Any thoughts?
> > Thanks
> > John

- Bobb -
August 4th 03, 03:41 PM
"John Orrett" > wrote in message
> Hi bobb, the message appeared when Windows was already up and running -
> maybe an hour after starting it up. I reinstalled win ME and fingers
> crossed, everything seems ok.
> Regards
> John

Hi John,
I think that will fix it. You had said:
"I cannot see the screen, only the message. The PC then reboots itself." I
believe that you were seeing that as a RESULT of Windows crashing, not a
video failure. If it should happen again, upon reboot run Dr Watson to see
if you can identify the cause.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;185837

hope it all goes well and you don't need to troubleshoot.
bobb

> "- Bobb -" > wrote in message
> et...
> > I suspect hat message is a RESULT of the PC rebooting, not a video
> problem.
> > Depending upon my setting in my PC BIOS, I can choose to have it ...
lose
> > sync, go blank etc. So if I turn on my monitor prior to my PC , I see
that
> > message, or during a reboot I see it - the screen message is simply a
status
> > report that the monitor is telling you: it is not getting a good input
> > signal.
> >
> > bobb
> >

> > "John Orrett" > wrote in message
> > > Hi all, running Win ME on a Deskpro. For some reason, the above
message
> > has started appearing now and again, and I cannot see the screen,
> > only the message. The PC then reboots itself.
> > > The PC is using a Matrox millennium card, but no settings have been
> > changed recently.
> > > Any thoughts?
> > > Thanks
> > > John

Bill Nott
August 5th 03, 05:09 AM
That message ONLY happens when the SIGNAL frequency is outside of the
monitors range. When the
signal goes away during reboot, it may give a "check input signal" message,
but NOT "out of range". It's
booting in VGA anyway, which all monitors with this kind of diagnostic can
suppport.

So, "something" happened to the video pixel format OR refresh rate when
WinMe was running - either by
something the user did, or by some "fluke". I'd vote for the fluke, because
there is also the protective
mechanism that will restore the video mode to the previous unless you
specifically tell it to keep the new one.
This does smack of a "plug-n-play" failure - the monitor may not have been
properly identified at start-up, and
so "default" settings were probably used.
Todays monitors generally do not have to be turned on before the system
boot - especially the Presario
branded ones (I know). But it is still a good idea to be safe and turn on
the monitor before booting the PC.

John, go to Display properties, settings, advanced, monitor, and see if your
monitor is properly ID'd. If
not you may need "drivers" for your monitor (actually .inf files that tell
the PC your monitors abilities).