PDA

View Full Version : Re: compaq presario x4000nx modem disconnect after inactivity?

HH
July 29th 03, 09:11 PM
Only AOL. They do have a "call alert" wich tells you someone is calling.
HH

"William Kossack" > wrote in message
> I setup my mother on aol 8 last week.
>
> She wanted to learn how to use a computer and do email so after
> purchasing a compaq presario x4000nx computer I set her up on aol 8.
>
> The only concern is that she might forget to logoff and walk away from
> her computer. She has only one phone line and this would cause her to
> not get any phone calls.
>
> I thought aol had some way of dropping the dialup connection after a
> certain number of minutes of inactivity but I could
> not find how to do this on AOL 8 or XP.
>
> I also could not break into bios to see if there was a way to configure
> the bios to help her.
>
> Can anyone help?

the yeti
July 30th 03, 12:27 AM
Aol has an idle timer that will kill you after a half hour or so. To
find out how to set it up for a shorter time call their 800 number,
they will be happy to help.

William Kossack
July 31st 03, 04:54 PM
the first thing I did was contact aol and they say they have taken it out
in
the current versions

the yeti wrote:

> Aol has an idle timer that will kill you after a half hour or so. To
> find out how to set it up for a shorter time call their 800 number,
> they will be happy to help.

the yeti
August 1st 03, 04:45 AM
William Kossack > wrote in message >...
> the first thing I did was contact aol and they say they have taken it out
> in
> the current versions
>
> the yeti wrote:
>
> > Aol has an idle timer that will kill you after a half hour or so. To
> > find out how to set it up for a shorter time call their 800 number,
> > they will be happy to help.

You can downgrade to version 6 or 7 and have it still work, if you
need a CD I am sure I have a few coasters laying around I can spare.

Hibernation will break the modems connection, but I don't know if AOL
is continusaly sending junk.

Contary to my email addreess, I havn't used aol in a long time.