PDA

View Full Version : Removing the D Patition form Some Compaq Machines

Ed Stimach
July 28th 03, 12:16 AM
For Compaq PC users who have a "D" partition on their hard drive,
there is now a service pack SP22827 which will eliminate the
partition. The following is from the web site;

==============
This application creates a bootable diskette, which can be used to
delete the D: Partition installed on certain Compaq Presario
computers. This application may be used on Compaq Presario computers
with partitioned hard disk drives to remove the D: Partition and
expand the C: Drive to include all the space that was included in the
D: Partition. Please refer to the main text to insure that your model
is listed.

Alan Kerr
August 1st 03, 11:48 PM
I looked at deleting the D partition when I run out of room on my C drive
but decided the best option was to fit a larger HDD. I fitted a 40meg HDD to
an old 12xl212 P3 650 added a bit of ram and now it runs XP faultlessly,
better unit than what it was new

Alan

"HH" > wrote in message
> Note: If the D partition is deleted, the Recovery CD will no longer
restore
> the PC. Think before you do it.
>
> HH
>
> "Ed Stimach" > wrote in message
> > For Compaq PC users who have a "D" partition on their hard drive,
> > there is now a service pack SP22827 which will eliminate the
> > partition. The following is from the web site;
> >
> > ==============
> > This application creates a bootable diskette, which can be used to
> > delete the D: Partition installed on certain Compaq Presario
> > computers. This application may be used on Compaq Presario computers
> > with partitioned hard disk drives to remove the D: Partition and
> > expand the C: Drive to include all the space that was included in the
> > D: Partition. Please refer to the main text to insure that your model
> > is listed.

- Bobb -
August 3rd 03, 02:55 PM
"HH" > wrote in message
> Note: If the D partition is deleted, the Recovery CD will no longer
restore
> the PC. Think before you do it.
>
> HH

If you DO want to save the info on the D partition, you MAY want to
consider - getting a new,bigger hard drive and THEN running a program which
MAY come with it to copy your old data to your new drive. OR purchase a
program, such as Norton Ghost (~$25).

You'll end up with a bigger drive AND still have your old data.
Simply then make the new drive the master (- drive C) and then reboot - all
your info is still there. All of C and all of D.

bobb

> "Ed Stimach" > wrote in message
> > For Compaq PC users who have a "D" partition on their hard drive,
> > there is now a service pack SP22827 which will eliminate the
> > partition. The following is from the web site;
> >
> > ==============
> > This application creates a bootable diskette, which can be used to
> > delete the D: Partition installed on certain Compaq Presario
> > computers. This application may be used on Compaq Presario computers
> > with partitioned hard disk drives to remove the D: Partition and
> > expand the C: Drive to include all the space that was included in the
> > D: Partition. Please refer to the main text to insure that your model
> > is listed.

- Bobb -
August 4th 03, 05:13 PM
Prior to doing that you may want to spend $10 to get the RestoreCD for your
model PC (check it at www.compaq.com/support . Then you don't need the D
partition info to do a restore.