PDA

View Full Version : Compaq case - non compaq mobo?

Dan Marchant
July 23rd 03, 03:07 PM
I have a DeskPro EX 866 Desktop. I am going to upgrade the mobo and many
of the components. Will a non-compaq mobo fit in the case or will that
too have to go in the skip?

Dan

HH
July 23rd 03, 03:42 PM
From the Compaq FAQ, reposted to the newgroup each week.
Q) Can I put a different motherboard in my Compaq?
A) Yes, but not really. The problems would be many, including:
1. Physical layout. Finding one with the same Input/output connector layout
at the back would be very difficult.
2. Onboard connectors. The front panel wires for the onn/off switch and hard
disk/power LEDs go to a single connector designed to fit the pins on the
current board. So, unless you feel comfortable cracking connectors or
re-splicing wires, don't try it.
3. Power Supply connectors on earlier models may be proprietary.
So, generally speaking for most users, the board is NOT easily upgradeable.

HH

"Dan Marchant" > wrote in message
> I have a DeskPro EX 866 Desktop. I am going to upgrade the mobo and many
> of the components. Will a non-compaq mobo fit in the case or will that
> too have to go in the skip?
>
> Dan

the yeti
July 24th 03, 06:59 AM
I just swapped out a MB on a 5461

> 1. Physical layout. Finding one with the same Input/output connector layout
> at the back would be very difficult.

This was no problem

> 2. Onboard connectors. The front panel wires for the onn/off switch and hard
> disk/power LEDs go to a single connector designed to fit the pins on the
> current board. So, unless you feel comfortable cracking connectors or
> re-splicing wires, don't try it.

This sucked, I just used a plug I had laying around, hacked it to
pieces with a razor blade and did the splice thing. Only the power
switch works now, the HDD and Power lights are not hooked up.

> 3. Power Supply connectors on earlier models may be proprietary.

No problem here

> So, generally speaking for most users, the board is NOT easily upgradeable.

The way the case was set up sucked for the new board, the processor
was right under the HD cage and so was the IDE connectors. Routing
the cables and trying to get airflow was interesting at best, but it
works again.

[NL]Sandman
July 25th 03, 02:08 PM
the yeti wrote:

> This sucked, I just used a plug I had laying around, hacked it to
> pieces with a razor blade and did the splice thing. Only the power
> switch works now, the HDD and Power lights are not hooked up.

I have the same problem here.
Used the compaq case of the 5726 with another motherboard, that worked
fine (used also a razor blade to splice the connector)but now I wan't
to place back the compaq motherboard and I get stuck with the power
button connector.
The only thing I know is how to trace back where each colord wire
stands for, I don't have any clue where the pins on the board stands
for.

Compaq don't give that info and the original board manifacture Mitac
does'nt store any compaq info.

Can you give me some tips?

Grtzzz mr.sandman

Rick
July 25th 03, 06:43 PM
"[NL]Sandman" > wrote in message ...
> the yeti wrote:
>
> > This sucked, I just used a plug I had laying around, hacked it to
> > pieces with a razor blade and did the splice thing. Only the power
> > switch works now, the HDD and Power lights are not hooked up.
>
> I have the same problem here.
> Used the compaq case of the 5726 with another motherboard, that worked
> fine (used also a razor blade to splice the connector)but now I wan't
> to place back the compaq motherboard and I get stuck with the power
> button connector.
> The only thing I know is how to trace back where each colord wire
> stands for, I don't have any clue where the pins on the board stands
> for.
>
> Compaq don't give that info and the original board manifacture Mitac
> does'nt store any compaq info.
>
> Can you give me some tips?
>
> Grtzzz mr.sandman

If it's the same board as my 5000A (5BWM21N, which is a Mitac
6513WU), here's the pinout for J10:

J10

Pins
3-4 Suspend LED
5-6 HDD LED
11-13 Power LED
15-16 Power button

RickW

[NL]Sandman
July 25th 03, 10:59 PM
Rick wrote:

> If it's the same board as my 5000A (5BWM21N, which is a Mitac
> 6513WU), here's the pinout for J10:
>
> J10
>
> Pins
> 3-4 Suspend LED
> 5-6 HDD LED
> 11-13 Power LED
> 15-16 Power button
>
> RickW

I think it's the same board, my connector is also called j10

Thank you very much!!!

Rick
July 26th 03, 09:39 PM
"[NL]Sandman" > wrote in message ...
> Rick wrote:
>
> > If it's the same board as my 5000A (5BWM21N, which is a Mitac
> > 6513WU), here's the pinout for J10:
> >
> > J10
> >
> > Pins
> > 3-4 Suspend LED
> > 5-6 HDD LED
> > 11-13 Power LED
> > 15-16 Power button
> >
> > RickW
>
> I think it's the same board, my connector is also called j10
>
> Thank you very much!!!

Sandman, I just checked the 6513WU manual against my 5000A
board and the above chart isn't valid. If the above configuration
doesn't work, here's what it is on mine:

Suspend LED - None
HDD LED - Pin 5 (White) Pin 6 (Red)
Power LED - Pin 3 (Black) Pin 4 (Yellow) Pin 12 (Green)
Power button - Pin 15 (Orange) Pin 16 (Blue)

J10 is a 20-pin connector, pin 1 is on the top right corner as
viewed from the front of the computer.

RickW

Dan Marchant
July 27th 03, 02:45 PM
<replies various snipped>

Thanks for the response HH (and others who responded). Given that I
would most likely slice off a finder I will keep the compaq as a server
with an old drive and just buy a new case.

Dan

HH
July 27th 03, 03:55 PM
Dan,