PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Armada 7800 will not start with battery

Damien
July 21st 03, 10:11 PM
I have a Compaq Armada 7800. With the power cord connected the laptop runs
fine and power management reports only 3% of the battery is full and that it
is still charging when in fact its not. I have a new battery and external
charger so I know the battery is good and fully charged, also the laptop
will charge the battery with no problem too. Its when I try to power up the
laptop with the just the battery, the laptop will boot and I see the Compaq
screen then the laptop will shut off and will not power up again until I
remove the battery and slide it back in the laptop will power up again and
shut off everytime at the Compaq screen. I have tried both bays with the new
battery just to get the same end result.

Is the problem in the system board or could it be the power supply. Thanks
for any help...

DEJ57
July 22nd 03, 06:35 AM
One would think my only solution for any PC problem is reset the CMOS or
replace its battery. I don't know about the 7800 but some older Compaq laptops
would not boot if the CMOS battery was dead unless connected to A/C adaptor.
Might replace that CMOS battery....

Dale

- Bobb -
July 23rd 03, 01:34 AM
A few questions first :

You said that you have " have a new battery and external charger " : did you
1. have this problem
and
2. bought the new battery and external charger to fix it ?

If so, prior to this , did it also charge to 3% ?

My reason for asking is that I worked for Compaq for years and it was common
for a lot of the batteries to " appear fully charged" meaning that the
customer would press the button on the battery and the indicators would
indicate that it was fully charged, when it really was a bad battery and
would not accept a charge. There's 2 "parts of the battery" the "charging
part" and the "reservoir part". Sounds like your charging section is dead.
OR the chemicals in there won't hold a charge (too old) = same result = NG
to you. . If it's something you bought "new" , have them send you another.
There were a LOT of problems with batteries for the 7400,7800,m700 etc - all
the same vintage. Often it would prevent the PC from powering up - it would
pull down the voltage of the laptop. you pop out the battery, power up and
then reinsert and it was OK - but it wouldn't charge.

bobb

"Damien" > wrote in message
rthlink.net...

> I have a Compaq Armada 7800. With the power cord connected the laptop
runs
> fine and power management reports only 3% of the battery is full and that
it
> is still charging when in fact its not. I have a new battery and external
> charger so I know the battery is good and fully charged, also the laptop
> will charge the battery with no problem too. Its when I try to power up
the
> laptop with the just the battery, the laptop will boot and I see the
Compaq
> screen then the laptop will shut off and will not power up again until I
> remove the battery and slide it back in the laptop will power up again and
> shut off everytime at the Compaq screen. I have tried both bays with the
new
> battery just to get the same end result.
>
> Is the problem in the system board or could it be the power supply.
Thanks
> for any help...

Damien
July 23rd 03, 09:26 PM
"- Bobb -" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> A few questions first :
>
> You said that you have " have a new battery and external charger " : did
you
> 1. have this problem
> and
> 2. bought the new battery and external charger to fix it ?
>
> If so, prior to this , did it also charge to 3% ?

I was having this problem before the new battery. With the old ( dead )
battery it would report no charging. I have tried 3 new batteries with the
same result, the laptop will charge the battery for around an hour and half
and then the charge light goes off, with the external charger I charged one
of the batteries and the same thing happens every time laptop will boot to
the compaq logo and then shut down. And all 3 batteries reported 3% full and
charging in Power Management but there is no charging happening and all 3
batteries reported they were full by pushing the button on them.

> My reason for asking is that I worked for Compaq for years and it was
common
> for a lot of the batteries to " appear fully charged" meaning that the
> customer would press the button on the battery and the indicators would
> indicate that it was fully charged, when it really was a bad battery and
> would not accept a charge. There's 2 "parts of the battery" the "charging
> part" and the "reservoir part". Sounds like your charging section is dead.
> OR the chemicals in there won't hold a charge (too old) = same result = NG
> to you. . If it's something you bought "new" , have them send you another.
> There were a LOT of problems with batteries for the 7400,7800,m700 etc -
all
> the same vintage. Often it would prevent the PC from powering up - it
would
> pull down the voltage of the laptop. you pop out the battery, power up and
> then reinsert and it was OK - but it wouldn't charge.
>
> bobb
>

> "Damien" > wrote in message
> rthlink.net...
> >
> > I have a Compaq Armada 7800. With the power cord connected the laptop
> runs
> > fine and power management reports only 3% of the battery is full and
that
> it
> > is still charging when in fact its not. I have a new battery and
external
> > charger so I know the battery is good and fully charged, also the laptop
> > will charge the battery with no problem too. Its when I try to power up
> the
> > laptop with the just the battery, the laptop will boot and I see the
> Compaq
> > screen then the laptop will shut off and will not power up again until I
> > remove the battery and slide it back in the laptop will power up again
and
> > shut off everytime at the Compaq screen. I have tried both bays with the
> new
> > battery just to get the same end result.
> >
> > Is the problem in the system board or could it be the power supply.
> Thanks
> > for any help...

Damien
July 27th 03, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone 4 replying. I have the problem fixed now. It was a BIOS
thing, after flashing it to the newest version all is well now. I am glad it
was just that I wasn't looking forward to opening this thing up and
replacing the MB. Thanks again 4 all the help...

rthlink.net...