PDA

View Full Version : Re: hi all...

Sam
July 17th 03, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the reply yeti, actually the nic is identified as a compaq
device, I did an install of win2000 to see if that would make any difference
and it identified the unknown device as SMC IrCC- Fast Infrared
Port.......the darn thing is I still can't get online with the notebook :-(

--
Regards.
Sam.
"the yeti" > wrote in message
om...
> "Sam" > wrote in message
> > I have a Compaq Armada 1700 PII 233 notebook which has an 'unknown
device'
> > listed in Device Manager. I have tried to get Compaq Diagnostic to
identify
> > the item with no luck, is there another way to get Windows 98SE to
properly
> > identify this item? The reason for this is I can't get online with this
> > notebook via the base station where the NIC card is installed.
>
> I don't have any expierence with base stations, so take this all with
> a grain of salt.
>
> So, in the device manager you do not have a Network Adapter identifing
> your NIC card?
> If not, then the unknown device is probally your NIC on the base
> station. You need to find out the manufactuer and chipset of the NIC
> and download the drivers. Then you should be all set. You can check
> Compaq's website to see if a NIC came stock in that base station and
> if drivers are available. You can also take the NIC out and look it
> up by its FCC ID #.

David
July 17th 03, 05:33 AM
Is this a Convenience Base or Convenience Base II? If so, it's probably only
got a 10mpbs nic in it unless it's been upgraded (slooow). You may want to
just get a 10/100 pc card nic for your laptop instead. That way you won't
need your base for networking. No conflicts showing right? Try disabling the
infrared port in the docked profile just for good measure and see if that
does anything. If you get a new nic, be sure to disable the base's nic in
the docked profile too. Good luck.

David

"Sam" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply yeti, actually the nic is identified as a compaq
> device, I did an install of win2000 to see if that would make any
difference
> and it identified the unknown device as SMC IrCC- Fast Infrared
> Port.......the darn thing is I still can't get online with the notebook
:-(

> --
> Regards.
> Sam.
> "the yeti" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Sam" > wrote in message
> > > I have a Compaq Armada 1700 PII 233 notebook which has an 'unknown
> device'
> > > listed in Device Manager. I have tried to get Compaq Diagnostic to
> identify
> > > the item with no luck, is there another way to get Windows 98SE to
> properly
> > > identify this item? The reason for this is I can't get online with
this
> > > notebook via the base station where the NIC card is installed.
> >
> > I don't have any expierence with base stations, so take this all with
> > a grain of salt.
> >
> > So, in the device manager you do not have a Network Adapter identifing
> > your NIC card?
> > If not, then the unknown device is probally your NIC on the base
> > station. You need to find out the manufactuer and chipset of the NIC
> > and download the drivers. Then you should be all set. You can check
> > Compaq's website to see if a NIC came stock in that base station and
> > if drivers are available. You can also take the NIC out and look it
> > up by its FCC ID #.

Sam
July 17th 03, 04:08 PM
Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what version the base is, I
like the idea of adding a new nic. I will also disable the infra red port.
Thanks again.

--
Regards.
Sam.
"David" > wrote in message
> Is this a Convenience Base or Convenience Base II? If so, it's probably
only
> got a 10mpbs nic in it unless it's been upgraded (slooow). You may want to
> just get a 10/100 pc card nic for your laptop instead. That way you won't
> need your base for networking. No conflicts showing right? Try disabling
the
> infrared port in the docked profile just for good measure and see if that
> does anything. If you get a new nic, be sure to disable the base's nic in
> the docked profile too. Good luck.
>
> David
>
> "Sam" > wrote in message
> > Thanks for the reply yeti, actually the nic is identified as a compaq
> > device, I did an install of win2000 to see if that would make any
> difference
> > and it identified the unknown device as SMC IrCC- Fast Infrared
> > Port.......the darn thing is I still can't get online with the notebook
> :-(
> >
> > --
> > Regards.
> > Sam.
> > "the yeti" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > device'
> > identify
> > properly
> this
> > >
> > > I don't have any expierence with base stations, so take this all with
> > > a grain of salt.
> > >
> > > So, in the device manager you do not have a Network Adapter identifing
> > > your NIC card?
> > > If not, then the unknown device is probally your NIC on the base
> > > station. You need to find out the manufactuer and chipset of the NIC
> > > and download the drivers. Then you should be all set. You can check
> > > Compaq's website to see if a NIC came stock in that base station and
> > > if drivers are available. You can also take the NIC out and look it
> > > up by its FCC ID #.

the yeti
July 17th 03, 10:49 PM
"David" > wrote in message >...
> Is this a Convenience Base or Convenience Base II? If so, it's probably only
> got a 10mpbs nic in it unless it's been upgraded (slooow). You may want to
> just get a 10/100 pc card nic for your laptop instead. That way you won't
> need your base for networking. No conflicts showing right? Try disabling the
> infrared port in the docked profile just for good measure and see if that
> does anything. If you get a new nic, be sure to disable the base's nic in
> the docked profile too. Good luck.
>
> David

He says the issue is he can't get online, but that the NIC is
identified. A 10mbps NIC is fine for online, as most internet
connections top out at 1.5 mbps. Even small file transfers over a
network at that speed is not all that bad. If he tries transferring
movies accross the network, then 10mbps sucks.

I would try to see if the Laptop wil connect to the 'net without the
base station. Get a PCMCMIA NIC, or a USB 10/100 NIC (that will run
at 11mbps)and connect that way.

Sam
July 18th 03, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestion folks, I'll be purchasing a PCMCMIA card shortly
and will post whether it solves the problem or not.

--
Regards.
Sam.
om...