PDA

View Full Version : networking troubles

Vincenzo Dello Iacovo
July 16th 03, 11:50 AM
I have three desktops, running W2000 (address 192.168.0.1), W98 (DHCP),
WXPHome (DHCP), with a 100 Mps link through a dual speed hub (3com). All
have subnet 255.255.255.0 and same workgroup name. I cannot connect to
this network a notebook Presario 1510EA (WXPHome): no response to ping, no
file sharing. Desktops see each other, but they have no connection with
notebook. I found solution to this problem in two ways:

- using an old Ethernet 10-BaseT hub: all machines connected at 10
Mbps

- connecting the Presario to the old hub, and this one to the fast
hub: only the notebook connected at 10 Mbps.

Should I think to an hardware failure on notebook?

--
Vincenzo
mailto:

the yeti
July 17th 03, 06:06 AM
"Vincenzo Dello Iacovo" > wrote in message >...
> I have three desktops, running W2000 (address 192.168.0.1), W98 (DHCP),
> WXPHome (DHCP), with a 100 Mps link through a dual speed hub (3com). All
> have subnet 255.255.255.0 and same workgroup name. I cannot connect to
> this network a notebook Presario 1510EA (WXPHome): no response to ping, no
> file sharing. Desktops see each other, but they have no connection with
> notebook. I found solution to this problem in two ways:
>
> - using an old Ethernet 10-BaseT hub: all machines connected at 10
> Mbps
>
> - connecting the Presario to the old hub, and this one to the fast
> hub: only the notebook connected at 10 Mbps.
>
> Should I think to an hardware failure on notebook?

Not a hardware failure on the notebook, because it connects at 10MBPS.
Most likely a bad or incorrect cable, or a bad port on the HUB.

Vincenzo Dello Iacovo
July 17th 03, 06:10 AM
I tried many cables, i tried with a switch, with another switch ...

--
Vincenzo DELLO IACOVO
mailto:

om...