PDA

View Full Version : Re: Cannot Get ATI RADEON 9700 To Work in Compaq W8000 Workstation

HH
July 13th 03, 09:10 PM
What does ATI say???? The OEM is always the best source on non-Compaq
hardware in a Compaq.

HH

"CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" > wrote in message
> I have a Compaq Professional Workstation W8000 with dual 2.4 GHz
processors
> and 2 GB of physical memory. I have been using the ATI RADEON 9500 in
that
> system very successfully. I recently tried to upgrade to the RADEON
9700,
> but on power on I get blinking characters on the screen, a kind of mosaic
> color pattern that blinks on and off. No part of the BIOS boot up
> sequence ever appears, although it is obvious that the computer is in fact
> booting up successfully in the background. I can ping the host from
> another computer after it finishes booting.
>
> At first I thought I had a defective RADEON 9700 card. I returned it to
> ATI, and they returned a new one, but included a note saying nothing was
> wrong with the first one. I then put the new 9700 into the W8000 and I
> get the same result: blinking mosaic on power on, that never goes away.
> Nothing on the monitor is readable from BIOS or the Windows 2000 boot up.
> As soon as I go back to the 9500, the BIOS messages are readable and
Windows
> 2000 boots fine.
>
> What are possible causes of this problem? It looks like the Compaq W8000
> may have some motherboard or BIOS level incompatibility with the RADEON
> 9700. Has any other W8000 user experienced this? Is there a
> workaround?
>
> --
> Will
> westes AT earthbroadcast.com

CHANGE USERNAME TO westes
July 13th 03, 11:40 PM
ATI says they want $2.45 per minute to answer questions. :) I'll pay it
but wanted to ask other W8000 users first.

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

. ..