PDA

View Full Version : Compaq horror story-don't buy one!


Martian
July 1st 03, 09:11 PM
My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March, and I ended
up sending it back for repairs after hours on the phone. They
replaced the M-board, and when they returned it, they had removed my
RAM upgrade. I e-mailed them about it and was told "the right amount
of RAM is installed." Then I e-mailed and got no response. Then I
called and we've spoken over the phone repeatedly ever since. Compaq
has spent way more than the $100 I spent on the RAM on phone calls!

I was just advised that their repair facility says they "did return
the RAM to the customer" and closed their case and they refuse to
discuss it further! I still do not have my RAM! I would tell anyone
seriously considering buying a Compaq or HP to buy a Dell. We have
had excellent service from Dell with our desktop. Compaq has taken my
property and apparently has no intention of returning it. I suspect
small claims court is my only recourse at this point.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

Quaoar
July 1st 03, 10:01 PM
Martian wrote:
> My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March, and I ended
> up sending it back for repairs after hours on the phone. They
> replaced the M-board, and when they returned it, they had removed my
> RAM upgrade. I e-mailed them about it and was told "the right amount
> of RAM is installed." Then I e-mailed and got no response. Then I
> called and we've spoken over the phone repeatedly ever since. Compaq
> has spent way more than the $100 I spent on the RAM on phone calls!
>
> I was just advised that their repair facility says they "did return
> the RAM to the customer" and closed their case and they refuse to
> discuss it further! I still do not have my RAM! I would tell anyone
> seriously considering buying a Compaq or HP to buy a Dell. We have
> had excellent service from Dell with our desktop. Compaq has taken my
> property and apparently has no intention of returning it. I suspect
> small claims court is my only recourse at this point.
>
> Anyone have any other ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Lesson learned: remove all components not on the original invoice before
shipping. Mirror your hard drive. Reinstall the original OS. The
warranty covers the unit in the state it was sold, even if the unit
contains after market equipment sold by the vendor, and in some cases
the vendor will not do warranty work with an OS different than the
invoice specifies.

In this case, Compaq should have retained and returned the RAM, and they
were a little short on ethics in your case by not doing so. The reality
is that the service center does their job on the basis of the OEM state
of the computer, and had to strip the RAM in order to QA their work
according to the state at time of sale. The person on the end of the
line has no knowledge of what the person at the front of the line is
doing, and the original invoice is the final arbiter.

Small claims court will be difficult since the vendor is out of state in
all likelyhood. You can get a judgement from court. The next
difficulty is collecting it.

Q

Eddy
July 2nd 03, 12:44 AM
"Martian" > wrote in message
om...
> My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March, and I ended
> up sending it back for repairs after hours on the phone. They
> replaced the M-board, and when they returned it, they had removed my
> RAM upgrade. I e-mailed them about it and was told "the right amount
> of RAM is installed." Then I e-mailed and got no response. Then I
> called and we've spoken over the phone repeatedly ever since. Compaq
> has spent way more than the $100 I spent on the RAM on phone calls!
>
> I was just advised that their repair facility says they "did return
> the RAM to the customer" and closed their case and they refuse to
> discuss it further! I still do not have my RAM! I would tell anyone
> seriously considering buying a Compaq or HP to buy a Dell. We have
> had excellent service from Dell with our desktop. Compaq has taken my
> property and apparently has no intention of returning it. I suspect
> small claims court is my only recourse at this point.
>
> Anyone have any other ideas?
>
> Thanks.

I think SCC, would be flogging a dead horse, as it were, you would have to
prove that you sent the laptop with the extra ram in it, and I don't think
your word would stand in court, have you any solid evidence that the ram was
there?, if you think about, you could have court fees on top of what you
have already lost, or got stolen from you, so I think you should just stay
away from compaq from now on, and tell as many people to stay away from them
as you can, I'm sure you can stop 5 or 6 people from buying a compaq brand
laptop/home computer.

Eddy



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.491 / Virus Database: 290 - Release Date: 18/06/2003

please-nospam
July 2nd 03, 01:32 AM
since your laptop required such extensive work, it's very possible they
simply shipped you back a reconditioned laptop of the same model to save
time, perhaps swapping your hard drive into the "new" one, but not thinking
to check for extra RAM and such. I doubt they would go to the bother of
intentionally stealing you RAM, they can get it much cheaper than you or I
can! Most likely it was an honest mistake, but now there's no way either of
you can prove to the other what happened. An expensive lesson, but I'm not
sure it's fair to fault their service center. Frankly, I think it would have
been easier in the long run for them to just ship you a strip of RAM and be
done with it!....

Marvin, in Atlanta
m9876c at yahoo dot com

DEJ57
July 2nd 03, 04:23 AM
>Small claims court will be difficult since the vendor is out of state in
>all likelyhood. You can get a judgement from court. The next
>difficulty is collecting it.

And its $40-$60 to file in Small Claims Court...

Dale

Martian
July 2nd 03, 09:18 AM
I wrote:
> > My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March (snip about Compaq-HP keeping the RAM from my laptop)
>
> I think SCC, would be flogging a dead horse, as it were, you would have to
> prove that you sent the laptop with the extra ram in it, and I don't think
> your word would stand in court, have you any solid evidence that the ram was
> there?, if you think about, you could have court fees on top of what you
> have already lost, or got stolen from you, so I think you should just stay
> away from compaq from now on, and tell as many people to stay away from them
> as you can, I'm sure you can stop 5 or 6 people from buying a compaq brand
> laptop/home computer.
>
> Eddy

I have evidence that they received the e-mail I sent when the unit was
first returned, and I sent that to them, since this morning they
claimed that they were denying my claim because I hadn't told them it
was missing in time (their phone message says to hang up and e-mail,
which, like a trained rat, I did)!!! I'll probably even write a
letter to someone higher in the organization to try to get it
resolved.

You're right, though. I already lost them one sale (I just bought a
Dell desktop for my family specifically because I was having a hard
time dealing with Compaq-HP on this) and I control computer
procurements at work, so I can make sure we go with another brand for
an entire roll-out. I guess it's best to just hit them where it hurts
most -- their pocketbook. Thanks for listening to my rant. I'm much
calmer than when I received mistreatment earlier today.

I have had issues with large new purchases recently--I had a Toyota
salesman hand me a card and tell me to call him in a couple of days
because he was busy (so I went next door and bought a new Honda). I
guess that's how capitalism works.

Irene
July 2nd 03, 06:17 PM
>>You can get a judgment from court. The next
> >difficulty is collecting it.

We obtained a small claims court judgment in Texas.
That was nearly 15 years ago and we still haven't seen a penny.

From others I have talked to, if the other individual involved is fairly
honest and possesses some ethics, you will get payment, however there is, in
most states, no way to force payment of the judgment.



"DEJ57" > wrote in message
...
> >Small claims court will be difficult since the vendor is out of state in
> >all likelyhood. You can get a judgement from court. The next
> >difficulty is collecting it.
>
> And its $40-$60 to file in Small Claims Court...
>
> Dale

Irene
July 2nd 03, 06:33 PM
I'm afraid that you are battling a lost cause. Every OEM service facility
that we have dealt with has told us the same thing. We must remove any added
hardware, BEFORE the will even begin to work on the computer.

If you weren't told this, you probably should have been; but that is going
to be tough to prove.

I think that I would just chalk it up to a lesson learned and remember
Compaq's attitude when it comes time to buy another computer. I would most
certainly remember it and not make the same mistake twice, should you ever
have to have another computer sent or taken in for service.

"Martian" > wrote in message
om...
> My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March, and I ended
> up sending it back for repairs after hours on the phone. They
> replaced the M-board, and when they returned it, they had removed my
> RAM upgrade. I e-mailed them about it and was told "the right amount
> of RAM is installed." Then I e-mailed and got no response. Then I
> called and we've spoken over the phone repeatedly ever since. Compaq
> has spent way more than the $100 I spent on the RAM on phone calls!
>
> I was just advised that their repair facility says they "did return
> the RAM to the customer" and closed their case and they refuse to
> discuss it further! I still do not have my RAM! I would tell anyone
> seriously considering buying a Compaq or HP to buy a Dell. We have
> had excellent service from Dell with our desktop. Compaq has taken my
> property and apparently has no intention of returning it. I suspect
> small claims court is my only recourse at this point.
>
> Anyone have any other ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Mike Calkins
July 3rd 03, 12:25 AM
Just heard from HP / Compaq, that they are still working to resolve this
customer's issue.

Mike in Houston


"Martian" > wrote in message
om...
> My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March, and I ended
> up sending it back for repairs after hours on the phone. They
> replaced the M-board, and when they returned it, they had removed my
> RAM upgrade. I e-mailed them about it and was told "the right amount
> of RAM is installed." Then I e-mailed and got no response. Then I
> called and we've spoken over the phone repeatedly ever since. Compaq
> has spent way more than the $100 I spent on the RAM on phone calls!
>
> I was just advised that their repair facility says they "did return
> the RAM to the customer" and closed their case and they refuse to
> discuss it further! I still do not have my RAM! I would tell anyone
> seriously considering buying a Compaq or HP to buy a Dell. We have
> had excellent service from Dell with our desktop. Compaq has taken my
> property and apparently has no intention of returning it. I suspect
> small claims court is my only recourse at this point.
>
> Anyone have any other ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Rick
July 3rd 03, 06:46 AM
Try to send this info on you problem to PC World magazine On Your Side at
the following
"Martian" > wrote in message
om...
> My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March, and I ended
> up sending it back for repairs after hours on the phone. They
> replaced the M-board, and when they returned it, they had removed my
> RAM upgrade. I e-mailed them about it and was told "the right amount
> of RAM is installed." Then I e-mailed and got no response. Then I
> called and we've spoken over the phone repeatedly ever since. Compaq
> has spent way more than the $100 I spent on the RAM on phone calls!
>
> I was just advised that their repair facility says they "did return
> the RAM to the customer" and closed their case and they refuse to
> discuss it further! I still do not have my RAM! I would tell anyone
> seriously considering buying a Compaq or HP to buy a Dell. We have
> had excellent service from Dell with our desktop. Compaq has taken my
> property and apparently has no intention of returning it. I suspect
> small claims court is my only recourse at this point.
>
> Anyone have any other ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Martian
July 3rd 03, 10:10 AM
"Mike Calkins" > wrote in message >...
> Just heard from HP / Compaq, that they are still working to resolve this
> customer's issue.

A Compaq-HP representative called me at work this afternoon and asked
me to email copies of the earlier back-and-forth email volley directly
to him and he will arrange a RAM replacement. He seemed to be aware
of my problem through both my latest email to the company and USENET.
Lucky for me the laptop has remained stable and I still have the
emails!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. This is the first time I've dealt
with mail-in repair.

johnnyx
July 5th 03, 10:51 PM
Stop ****ing crying about your RAM. Should have removed it first. When you
bring your car to the garage for repairs, do you leave money in the trunk?
Your response to sue is typical American. Haven't you wasted enough time
already? Get a life looser. Did you ever kiss a girl????

J


"Rick" > wrote in message
...
> Try to send this info on you problem to PC World magazine On Your Side at
> the following
> "Martian" > wrote in message
> om...
> > My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March, and I ended
> > up sending it back for repairs after hours on the phone. They
> > replaced the M-board, and when they returned it, they had removed my
> > RAM upgrade. I e-mailed them about it and was told "the right amount
> > of RAM is installed." Then I e-mailed and got no response. Then I
> > called and we've spoken over the phone repeatedly ever since. Compaq
> > has spent way more than the $100 I spent on the RAM on phone calls!
> >
> > I was just advised that their repair facility says they "did return
> > the RAM to the customer" and closed their case and they refuse to
> > discuss it further! I still do not have my RAM! I would tell anyone
> > seriously considering buying a Compaq or HP to buy a Dell. We have
> > had excellent service from Dell with our desktop. Compaq has taken my
> > property and apparently has no intention of returning it. I suspect
> > small claims court is my only recourse at this point.
> >
> > Anyone have any other ideas?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
>

Deep
July 5th 03, 11:02 PM
Whoa... A little angry there dude? ;-)

Deep

"johnnyx" > wrote in message
. ..
> Stop ****ing crying about your RAM. Should have removed it first. When
you
> bring your car to the garage for repairs, do you leave money in the trunk?
> Your response to sue is typical American. Haven't you wasted enough time
> already? Get a life looser. Did you ever kiss a girl????
>
> J
>
>
> "Rick" > wrote in message
> ...
> > Try to send this info on you problem to PC World magazine On Your Side
at
> > the following
> > "Martian" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March, and I ended
> > > up sending it back for repairs after hours on the phone. They
> > > replaced the M-board, and when they returned it, they had removed my
> > > RAM upgrade. I e-mailed them about it and was told "the right amount
> > > of RAM is installed." Then I e-mailed and got no response. Then I
> > > called and we've spoken over the phone repeatedly ever since. Compaq
> > > has spent way more than the $100 I spent on the RAM on phone calls!
> > >
> > > I was just advised that their repair facility says they "did return
> > > the RAM to the customer" and closed their case and they refuse to
> > > discuss it further! I still do not have my RAM! I would tell anyone
> > > seriously considering buying a Compaq or HP to buy a Dell. We have
> > > had excellent service from Dell with our desktop. Compaq has taken my
> > > property and apparently has no intention of returning it. I suspect
> > > small claims court is my only recourse at this point.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any other ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> >
>
>

Michael
July 6th 03, 01:54 AM
And none too bright.Lousy comparison,if you took your car in for repairs
with custom equiptment and found it replaced with standard,I think you'd be
a little ticked off.And his crack about Americans shows him to be a typical
bigot.
"Deep" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> Whoa... A little angry there dude? ;-)
>
> Deep
>
> "johnnyx" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Stop ****ing crying about your RAM. Should have removed it first. When
> you
> > bring your car to the garage for repairs, do you leave money in the
trunk?
> > Your response to sue is typical American. Haven't you wasted enough
time
> > already? Get a life looser. Did you ever kiss a girl????
> >
> > J
> >
> >
> > "Rick" > wrote in message
> > ...
> > > Try to send this info on you problem to PC World magazine On Your
Side
> at
> > > the following
> > > "Martian" > wrote in message
> > > om...
> > > > My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March, and I
ended
> > > > up sending it back for repairs after hours on the phone. They
> > > > replaced the M-board, and when they returned it, they had removed my
> > > > RAM upgrade. I e-mailed them about it and was told "the right
amount
> > > > of RAM is installed." Then I e-mailed and got no response. Then I
> > > > called and we've spoken over the phone repeatedly ever since.
Compaq
> > > > has spent way more than the $100 I spent on the RAM on phone calls!
> > > >
> > > > I was just advised that their repair facility says they "did return
> > > > the RAM to the customer" and closed their case and they refuse to
> > > > discuss it further! I still do not have my RAM! I would tell
anyone
> > > > seriously considering buying a Compaq or HP to buy a Dell. We have
> > > > had excellent service from Dell with our desktop. Compaq has taken
my
> > > > property and apparently has no intention of returning it. I suspect
> > > > small claims court is my only recourse at this point.
> > > >
> > > > Anyone have any other ideas?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>

Martian
July 6th 03, 06:17 AM
"Rick" > wrote in message >...
> Try to send this info on you problem to PC World magazine On Your Side at
> the following

Since I managed to get through to a company rep who wants to make it
right, I'll hold off on draconian measures for now! Thanks for the
URL. It's a comfort just knowing it's out there.


> "Martian" > wrote in message
> om...
> > My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March, and I ended
> > up sending it back for repairs after hours on the phone. They
> > replaced the M-board, and when they returned it, they had removed my
> > RAM upgrade. I e-mailed them about it and was told "the right amount
> > of RAM is installed." Then I e-mailed and got no response. Then I
> > called and we've spoken over the phone repeatedly ever since. Compaq
> > has spent way more than the $100 I spent on the RAM on phone calls!
> >
> > I was just advised that their repair facility says they "did return
> > the RAM to the customer" and closed their case and they refuse to
> > discuss it further! I still do not have my RAM! I would tell anyone
> > seriously considering buying a Compaq or HP to buy a Dell. We have
> > had excellent service from Dell with our desktop. Compaq has taken my
> > property and apparently has no intention of returning it. I suspect
> > small claims court is my only recourse at this point.
> >
> > Anyone have any other ideas?
> >
> > Thanks.

HH
July 6th 03, 03:29 PM
Deep,
Not citizenry, it's the damned lawyers. Shakespeare was right!!!

HH

"Deep" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> I don't know about that... American's in general do have a tendancy to
"sue"
> at the drop of a hat. Saw some show once that was comparing the number of
> civil lawsuits and the US was the highest per capita. He may not have
> phrased it well, but it's more right than wrong...
>
> Deep
>
> "Michael" > wrote in message
> ...
> > And none too bright.Lousy comparison,if you took your car in for repairs
> > with custom equiptment and found it replaced with standard,I think you'd
> be
> > a little ticked off.And his crack about Americans shows him to be a
> typical
> > bigot.
> > "Deep" > wrote in message
> > le.rogers.com...
> > > Whoa... A little angry there dude? ;-)
> > >
> > > Deep
> > >
> > > "johnnyx" > wrote in message
> > > . ..
> > > > Stop ****ing crying about your RAM. Should have removed it first.
> When
> > > you
> > > > bring your car to the garage for repairs, do you leave money in the
> > trunk?
> > > > Your response to sue is typical American. Haven't you wasted enough
> > time
> > > > already? Get a life looser. Did you ever kiss a girl????
> > > >
> > > > J
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > "Rick" > wrote in message
> > > > ...
> > > > > Try to send this info on you problem to PC World magazine On Your
> > Side
> > > at
> > > > > the following
> > > > > "Martian" > wrote in message
> > > > > om...
> > > > > > My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March, and I
> > ended
> > > > > > up sending it back for repairs after hours on the phone. They
> > > > > > replaced the M-board, and when they returned it, they had
removed
> my
> > > > > > RAM upgrade. I e-mailed them about it and was told "the right
> > amount
> > > > > > of RAM is installed." Then I e-mailed and got no response.
Then
> I
> > > > > > called and we've spoken over the phone repeatedly ever since.
> > Compaq
> > > > > > has spent way more than the $100 I spent on the RAM on phone
> calls!
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I was just advised that their repair facility says they "did
> return
> > > > > > the RAM to the customer" and closed their case and they refuse
to
> > > > > > discuss it further! I still do not have my RAM! I would tell
> > anyone
> > > > > > seriously considering buying a Compaq or HP to buy a Dell. We
> have
> > > > > > had excellent service from Dell with our desktop. Compaq has
> taken
> > my
> > > > > > property and apparently has no intention of returning it. I
> suspect
> > > > > > small claims court is my only recourse at this point.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Anyone have any other ideas?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Thanks.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>

Mike Calkins
July 8th 03, 07:19 PM
Prudent advice.

But, if you had read the whole thread, you'd see that Compaq/HP is working
to replace the missing RAM.

To quote a scholar,

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing
it!
In Customer Service, Everyday Is An Opportunity.!


"Quaoar" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Martian wrote:
> > My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March, and I ended
> > up sending it back for repairs after hours on the phone. They
> > replaced the M-board, and when they returned it, they had removed my
> > RAM upgrade. I e-mailed them about it and was told "the right amount
> > of RAM is installed." Then I e-mailed and got no response. Then I
> > called and we've spoken over the phone repeatedly ever since. Compaq
> > has spent way more than the $100 I spent on the RAM on phone calls!
> >
> > I was just advised that their repair facility says they "did return
> > the RAM to the customer" and closed their case and they refuse to
> > discuss it further! I still do not have my RAM! I would tell anyone
> > seriously considering buying a Compaq or HP to buy a Dell. We have
> > had excellent service from Dell with our desktop. Compaq has taken my
> > property and apparently has no intention of returning it. I suspect
> > small claims court is my only recourse at this point.
> >
> > Anyone have any other ideas?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Lesson learned: remove all components not on the original invoice before
> shipping. Mirror your hard drive. Reinstall the original OS. The
> warranty covers the unit in the state it was sold, even if the unit
> contains after market equipment sold by the vendor, and in some cases
> the vendor will not do warranty work with an OS different than the
> invoice specifies.
>
> In this case, Compaq should have retained and returned the RAM, and they
> were a little short on ethics in your case by not doing so. The reality
> is that the service center does their job on the basis of the OEM state
> of the computer, and had to strip the RAM in order to QA their work
> according to the state at time of sale. The person on the end of the
> line has no knowledge of what the person at the front of the line is
> doing, and the original invoice is the final arbiter.
>
> Small claims court will be difficult since the vendor is out of state in
> all likelyhood. You can get a judgement from court. The next
> difficulty is collecting it.
>
> Q
>
>

Martian
July 21st 03, 07:42 AM
> > "Martian" <***********************> wrote in message
> > om...
> > > My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March, and I ended
> > > up sending it back for repairs after hours on the phone. They
> > > replaced the M-board, and when they returned it, they had removed my
> > > RAM upgrade.

HP agreed to replace the RAM, so that's one problem solved. But the
system was so slow after repair that I hoped putting the RAM back
would help, and didn't even try to play CDs or check email. But even
after hours tuning and emails and calls to service, it's crashing
repeatedly, even after adding the RAM, whether I'm using an
application or not. Even if I remove everything from starting and run
it in abnormal mode in msconfig, it crashes within 20 to 45 minutes
(or faster if I use a CD, OE, or IE).

So they are sending me another box to mail it back again. The tech
specifically told me to leave the RAM in. I told him no, asolutely
not! He insisted they need it for trouble-shooting, so I guess I'll
write my name on it with a Sharpie or paint the edges with nail polish
or something! The box should be here by Tuesday. Any ideas for
making it obvious that this is MY RAM so it doesn't walk again?!