PDA

View Full Version : Why won't 5000T recognize 5 1/4 floppy drive?

donut
June 27th 03, 07:49 PM
I wanted to install a 5 1/4" floppy drive in my Presario 5000T so I could
exchange files with my Compaq Deskpro 286, but the machine says nada.

I installed a dual channel cable, hooked up both floppy drives, and the
went into the BIOS and enabled the B: drive as a 5 1/4" 1.2 meg drive. But,
the machine refused to even boot with the 5 1/4" drive attached. It hung on
the boot up drive seek routine, no matter what I tried.

Put it back stock, and the machine runs just fine now.

I did finally solve the problem by getting a 3 1/2" drive installed in the
286 (what a PITA THAT was with no diagnostic disks!)

I just wonder why the 5 1/4" wouldn't work in the Presario. Never had this
happen before.

- Bobb -
July 2nd 03, 10:21 PM
Just checking:
DId you try the 5.25 by itself? or in the 286 ?
You DID check the ID jumper on the 5.25 and set it to be drive ONE ?
Or was the floppy cable the kind that reversed the ID via the cable (with a
twist) ?