PDA

View Full Version : ot-cd burning software recommends?

DEJ57
June 26th 03, 07:54 PM
Not happy with Nero--any other shareware or good but cheap cd burning software
out there that anyone could recommend? Making a lot of coasters with
Nero--hoping to find something else that works better (either that or I have a
mystery problem with my PC and burner. Getting a lot of SCSI/ATAPI command
timeout errors).

Thanks, Dale

Deep
June 26th 03, 11:22 PM
I've had great success with Roxio. It is a little pricier though... It helps
that I got it for free!

And yes Dale, before you start on the copyright thing again, it was a legal
CD that was given to me by Roxio. ;-)

Deep

"DEJ57" > wrote in message
> Not happy with Nero--any other shareware or good but cheap cd burning
software
> out there that anyone could recommend? Making a lot of coasters with
> Nero--hoping to find something else that works better (either that or I
have a
> mystery problem with my PC and burner. Getting a lot of SCSI/ATAPI
command
> timeout errors).
>
> Thanks, Dale

HH
June 26th 03, 11:27 PM
Click'n'Burn Pro..... hands down.
HH

"Miss Jo Anne CD" > wrote in message
> I have had very good luck with Nero..It took me awhile to figure it out
(It
> deinitely isn`t the most new user friendly program)..But once I got it
down I
> haven`t had any problems

HH
June 27th 03, 04:18 AM
Have you tried Click 'n' Burn Pro? I've tried Nero...wasn't impressed. Same
for Roxio, Just Burn, etc. I like NeoDVD 2 Plus for burning DVDs.
HH

"doS" > wrote in message
> Nothing better than nero.
> Make sure you get the latest updates.
>
> "DEJ57" > wrote in message
> > Not happy with Nero--any other shareware or good but cheap cd burning
> software
> > out there that anyone could recommend? Making a lot of coasters with
> > Nero--hoping to find something else that works better (either that or I
> have a
> > mystery problem with my PC and burner. Getting a lot of SCSI/ATAPI
> command
> > timeout errors).
> >
> > Thanks, Dale

doS
June 27th 03, 04:57 AM
Nero has far more options.
I try everything that comes along, at least once.

"HH" > wrote in message
. ..
> Have you tried Click 'n' Burn Pro? I've tried Nero...wasn't impressed.
Same
> for Roxio, Just Burn, etc. I like NeoDVD 2 Plus for burning DVDs.
> HH
>

> "doS" > wrote in message
> > Nothing better than nero.
> > Make sure you get the latest updates.
> >
> > "DEJ57" > wrote in message
> > > Not happy with Nero--any other shareware or good but cheap cd burning
> > software
> > > out there that anyone could recommend? Making a lot of coasters with
> > > Nero--hoping to find something else that works better (either that or
> > have a
> > > mystery problem with my PC and burner. Getting a lot of SCSI/ATAPI
> > command
> > > timeout errors).
> > >
> > > Thanks, Dale

DEJ57
June 27th 03, 05:02 AM
>Nothing better than nero.
>Make sure you get the latest updates.

Tried to do that--download and upgrade to the most current version--but I get
some type of copying file error and I it won't complete the install. Attempted
to delete the older version and it still won't load. Downloaded from a
different site and it won't load. Now can't install my old version because I
can't find the darn sleeve for the CD with the country mile long key
number...just not my day.

Thanks for all the advice--anyone have a clue why I might be getting a
SCSI/ATAPI command timeout error? I have gotten several burns out of about 30
tries--what usually happens is the burn fails about half to two-thirds
through--showing like 35% on the read buffer, 63% of the burn complete, and 98%
on the read buffer. Been selecting low rates (4, 8 speed--burner claims 32x)
but doesn't seem to help. Should the program and data all be on the same
drive?
WIN95 is on the "C" drive, the data being copied and burned is on a different
drive (a SCSI), and the nero program itself is yet on another drive--would that
challenge the software in moving the data around, resulting in the high read
buffer and the timeout error on the CD? PC is a 800mhz with lots of RAM (slips
my mind just how much--I'll check when I boot next...)

Dale

HH
June 27th 03, 05:05 AM
Hmmmm...Don't think so. Did you try both C 'n' B interfaces? It has 2, ya
know. Whatever. It does all I need easily and without coasters, especially
different types of global images.
HH

"doS" > wrote in message
> Nero has far more options.
> I try everything that comes along, at least once.
>
> "HH" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Have you tried Click 'n' Burn Pro? I've tried Nero...wasn't impressed.
> Same
> > for Roxio, Just Burn, etc. I like NeoDVD 2 Plus for burning DVDs.
> > HH
> >

> > "doS" > wrote in message
> > > Nothing better than nero.
> > > Make sure you get the latest updates.

> > > software
> > > have a
> > > command

DEJ57
June 27th 03, 05:11 AM
> hi, vcd easy is a real good tool. i'm using version 1.0.8, if
>you want it and some info and aspi files i used with ME, i'll post
>it in alt.binaries.misc. here is the link to the site.

Seems to be for mostly making VCDs--and I'm looking to simply burn data and
music for the most part. Or does it also do that?

As I'm on AOL trying to download a large file from an NG might not work...

Dale

June 27th 03, 06:39 AM
In article >,
says...
> > hi, vcd easy is a real good tool. i'm using version 1.0.8, if
> >you want it and some info and aspi files i used with ME, i'll post
> >it in alt.binaries.misc. here is the link to the site.
>
> Seems to be for mostly making VCDs--and I'm looking to simply burn data and
> music for the most part. Or does it also do that?
>
> As I'm on AOL trying to download a large file from an NG might not work...
>
> Dale

hi, i use vcdeasy to burn vcd/svcds. i have used roxio for .mpgs and
data, but its too big for easy transfer. i've used fireburner 1.06 and
its compact and should do what you want. below is a link. i'll post
an extended evualation period copy of it in any group you can download
from. its 1 mb.

http://www.fireburner.com/downloads.shtml

train

Don Kelloway
June 27th 03, 06:59 AM
"Deep" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> I've had great success with Roxio. It is a little pricier though... It
helps
> that I got it for free!
>
> And yes Dale, before you start on the copyright thing again, it was a
legal
> CD that was given to me by Roxio. ;-)
>
> Deep
>
> "DEJ57" > wrote in message
> > Not happy with Nero--any other shareware or good but cheap cd burning
> software
> > out there that anyone could recommend? Making a lot of coasters with
> > Nero--hoping to find something else that works better (either that or
> have a
> > mystery problem with my PC and burner. Getting a lot of SCSI/ATAPI
> command
> > timeout errors).
> >
> > Thanks, Dale

I too have been using Roxio Easy CD Creator for almost two years and it
hasn't given me any problems whatsoever. In fact it works great with my
Compaq Presario 7000 system.
--
Best regards,
Don Kelloway

Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security
on the Internet".

SFR
June 27th 03, 12:17 PM
"DEJ57" > a écrit dans le message news:
(...)
> Thanks for all the advice--anyone have a clue why I might be getting a
> SCSI/ATAPI command timeout error? I have gotten several burns out of
about 30
> tries--what usually happens is the burn fails about half to two-thirds
> through--showing like 35% on the read buffer, 63% of the burn complete,
and 98%
> on the read buffer. Been selecting low rates (4, 8 speed--burner claims
32x)
> but doesn't seem to help. Should the program and data all be on the same
> drive?

Well, I have no clue of which OS you're using or if CDR drive (IDE -my guess
or SCSI), nor what kind of CD you're trying to burn (data only, overburnt,
etc..), but I would try 2 or 3 things first, which I'm sure though you've
already checked :

-> Apps on background (anti-virus, maybe ?) : I would deactivate any running
app...
-> Disk fragmentation
-> Downgrade or Update Nero's version, or, as you wanted to do, switch to
another app
-> If CDR drive is IDE, chek for the DMA to be enabled if possible

My 2 cents :)

Regards,

Serge

---

DEJ57
June 27th 03, 07:08 PM

>Dale,
>
>I got in late on this thread. If you're using 95, I'd guess the machine is
>lower powered. If so, yes, you need to shut everything down, start the burn
>and walk away from the machine. If it's under a P3-500, I'd suggest nothing
>faster than 8x. It takes a lot of horsepower to burn.
>
>Search google for a program called EndItAll. Run it right before a burn and
>reboot afterwards.
>
>My Presario 5600 (P3-450/512MB/XP Pro) requires this approach. My Dell
>Dimension 4550 (P4-2.66) will burn at 48x while I do anything else I want.
>
>Tom

I'll do what you recommend--great advice and what should be a very helpful
utility.
Now, if by chance someone had a key to nero install CD I could use in place of
the one I've lost that was on my sleeve (normally I copy such numbers onto the
CD but of course didn't in this case) Nero cam with the burner--I so have it
legitimately...

Perhaps Nero will supply one--I'll try that too....

Dale

DEJ57
June 27th 03, 07:32 PM

>Perhaps Nero will supply one--I'll try that too....

Looks like I can get one if I fax in proof of purchase of the burner--I'll give
that a whirl....

DEJ57
July 2nd 03, 04:33 AM
>Looks like I can get one if I fax in proof of purchase of the burner--I'll
>give
>that a whirl....

Had help with the key via emal--thanks!

Back up and making no coasters! I like Nero fine, was just thinking that
because it was an older version a newer one might work better or that different
APP might work better. Appears to be working perfectly now and burning at 32X.
Not sure whether just reinstalling Nero or Enditall cured my problems, but
I'll continue to use Enditall just to be safe. Thanks, Tom, for the advice of
Enditall. And mega-thanks for all who offered help on this OT.

Dale