PDA

View Full Version : What type of RAM in LTE 5100 series ??

Yareq
June 24th 03, 04:32 PM
Hi !

I need a help because my old notebook has only 8mb of ram
and I need to extend it.

Is anybody here who knows what type of ram is used in COMPAQ LTE 5100 series
??

....and where is it placed in machine ??

Jarek, Poland

Mike Calkins
June 24th 03, 04:56 PM
Maximum memory is 72 meg. It's external, on the back side, above and to the
right of the parallel port, as viewed from the rear.

Try Ebay, or www.computersurplusoutlet.com .

Modules were:

8 meg
16 meg
32 meg
64 meg

Only one module can be installed, (plus the internal RAM).

(From my experience.)

Mike in Houston

"Yareq" > wrote in message
> Hi !
>
> I need a help because my old notebook has only 8mb of ram
> and I need to extend it.
>
> Is anybody here who knows what type of ram is used in COMPAQ LTE 5100
series
> ??
>
> ...and where is it placed in machine ??
>
> Jarek, Poland

Tom Scales
June 24th 03, 06:12 PM
No. It's Compaq unique and long before a SODIMM was ever even thought of.

Tom
"Yareq" > wrote in message
> Is this an usual SO-DIMM memory ??
>
> I have 64 MB module, will it be working ??
>
> /Jarek

Mike Calkins
June 25th 03, 02:06 AM
One opening, but with two connectors.... Early 64 bit.......

I can send you pics of the Compaq Ram, if you like..?~!

"Tom Scales" > wrote in message
.. .
> I don't think it requires pairs, in fact I think there is only one slot.
>
> Tom
> "Mike Calkins" > wrote in message
> y.com...
> > OK, Tom,
> >
> > Perhaps it's a pre-SODIMM .... Gotta be in pairs, and follow the
> > previous links.
> >
> > "Tom Scales" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > > No. It's Compaq unique and long before a SODIMM was ever even thought
> of.
> > >
> > > Tom

Mike Calkins
June 25th 03, 04:27 PM
Dale,

Pics on the way. Will you admit it when you are wrong?

Ya know,

When you are holding the device in your hand, and describing it, It's a
little different.

I believe I stated that it had one opening, not one slot.

Looking forward to hearing from Dale Johnson AKA DEJ57

(And what is with the Seldom right?)

Mike in Houston

"DEJ57" > wrote in message
> >One opening, but with two connectors.... Early 64 bit.......
> >
> >I can send you pics of the Compaq Ram, if you like..?~!
>
> Yes! Please send me pics of pairs of RAM that fit into one slot but have
two
> connectors--is that like one of those illusion images where you can go
down the
> stair case in a continious spiral?
>
> This is beginning to sound like two becoming one in marriage or the
trinity in
> one being. Mike is seldom right and never wrong, no matter how wrong he
is.

> Dale

Don Kelloway
June 25th 03, 10:26 PM

"DEJ57" > wrote in message
> >One opening, but with two connectors.... Early 64 bit.......
> >
> >I can send you pics of the Compaq Ram, if you like..?~!
>
> Yes! Please send me pics of pairs of RAM that fit into one slot but
have two
> connectors--is that like one of those illusion images where you can go
down the
> stair case in a continious spiral?
>
> This is beginning to sound like two becoming one in marriage or the
trinity in
> one being. Mike is seldom right and never wrong, no matter how wrong he
is.

> Dale

It sounds to me like you're referring to a SIMM with a single card edge
connector separated by a notch.

Something like this maybe?

-----------------------
| |
| |
|||||||||| |||||||||||
----------/\-----------

--
Best regards,
Don Kelloway

Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security
on the Internet".

DEJ57
June 26th 03, 01:06 AM
>Pics on the way. Will you admit it when you are wrong?

Certainly. I've always admited I'm wrong when I'm wrong. A number of times.
If the pics you sent me are the correct memory, its what I would call a memory
module, which has two memory chips permenently attached to a mounting buss. I
doubt you have to install this memory module in pairs, but I haven't been able
to get the pdf from HP's site to download so I can confirm any of this. Link
me to where Compaq says you need to install two of these modules, in pairs, and
I'll admit I'm wrong.

Dale

DEJ57
June 26th 03, 01:08 AM
>It sounds to me like you're referring to a SIMM with a single card edge
>connector separated by a notch.

No--it appears to be two SIMM attached to a bus, and the bus gets plugged in.

Mike Calkins
June 26th 03, 02:09 AM
Dale, Dale, Dale.

I stated that the memory were a pair of boards. One to a laptop.

One opening, a module with two boards attached to a plastic carrier, with
two phillips head screws, going into a captured nut in the plastic carrier.
There are no notches in the gold plated memory board, so it's a pre-So-dimm.

I never stated that the modules needed to be installed in pairs, only that
it was a pair of boards in one opening.

Jeeshh!

"DEJ57" > wrote in message
> >Pics on the way. Will you admit it when you are wrong?
>
> Certainly. I've always admited I'm wrong when I'm wrong. A number of
times.
> If the pics you sent me are the correct memory, its what I would call a
memory
> module, which has two memory chips permenently attached to a mounting
buss. I
> doubt you have to install this memory module in pairs, but I haven't been
able
> to get the pdf from HP's site to download so I can confirm any of this.
Link
> me to where Compaq says you need to install two of these modules, in
pairs, and
> I'll admit I'm wrong.
>
> Dale

VibSch
June 26th 03, 09:16 AM
Try this link (hope it works). Its directly to the complete Service and
Maintenance Guide for LTE 5x- series if you ever need to disassemble your
notebook. It takes a minute or two to open - its about 320pages large.

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/techpubs/maintenance_guides/2135
83-002_rev2_us.pdf

:-)Vibeke

"Mike Calkins" > wrote in message
m...
> Options for the LTE 5100
>
> Memory
> 8-MB Memory Expansion Board 213515-001
> 16-MB Memory Expansion Board 213515-002
> 32-MB Memory Expansion Board 213515-003
> 64-MB Memory Expansion Board 213515-004
>

> Spares...for the LTE 5100
>
> Memory Boards / Modules
> 8 MB 70 ns Memory Expansion Board 213536-001
> 16MB 70 ns Memory Expansion Board 213536-002
> 32 MB 70 ns Memory Expansion Board 213536-003
> 64 MB 70 ns Memory Expansion Board 213536-004
>

> "Yareq" > wrote in message
> > Hi !
> >
> > I need a help because my old notebook has only 8mb of ram
> > and I need to extend it.
> >
> > Is anybody here who knows what type of ram is used in COMPAQ LTE 5100
> series
> > ??
> >
> > ...and where is it placed in machine ??
> >
> > Jarek, Poland

VibSch
June 26th 03, 09:21 AM
Sorry, wrong link - didn't work. This should be better

http://h71025.www7.hp.com/support/reference_library/viewreferencelibrary.asp
?countrycode=1000&catid=763&famid=2262&prodid=12|LTE+5000

:-)VibSch

"VibSch" > wrote in message
> Try this link (hope it works). Its directly to the complete Service and
> Maintenance Guide for LTE 5x- series if you ever need to disassemble your
> notebook. It takes a minute or two to open - its about 320pages large.

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/techpubs/maintenance_guides/2135
> 83-002_rev2_us.pdf
>
> :-)Vibeke
>
> "Mike Calkins" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Options for the LTE 5100
> >
> > Memory
> > 8-MB Memory Expansion Board 213515-001
> > 16-MB Memory Expansion Board 213515-002
> > 32-MB Memory Expansion Board 213515-003
> > 64-MB Memory Expansion Board 213515-004
> >

> > Spares...for the LTE 5100
> >
> > Memory Boards / Modules
> > 8 MB 70 ns Memory Expansion Board 213536-001
> > 16MB 70 ns Memory Expansion Board 213536-002
> > 32 MB 70 ns Memory Expansion Board 213536-003
> > 64 MB 70 ns Memory Expansion Board 213536-004
> >

> > "Yareq" > wrote in message
> > > Hi !
> > >
> > > I need a help because my old notebook has only 8mb of ram
> > > and I need to extend it.
> > >
> > > Is anybody here who knows what type of ram is used in COMPAQ LTE 5100
> > series
> > > ??
> > >
> > > ...and where is it placed in machine ??
> > >
> > > Jarek, Poland

DEJ57
June 26th 03, 02:31 PM
>I stated that the memory were a pair of boards.

No, you didn't. None of your posts state the above.

>I never stated that the modules needed to be installed in pairs

Yes, you did--sorta...
Quoting from the string...

>Is this an usual SO-DIMM memory ??
> I have 64 MB module, will it be working ??
> /Jarek

>No. It's Compaq unique and long before a SODIMM was ever even thought of.
>Tom

>OK, Tom,
>Perhaps it's a pre-SODIMM .... Gotta be in pairs, and follow the
>previous links.
>Mike

Mike's done such a poor job of describing what it is he is talking about I have
to admit I don't know if he's correct or not. I had issue with the confusing
description, not necessarily whether pre-SODIMM memory chips had to be
installed in pairs, and I don't think they do...but maybe so.

OK, I may be wrong, but I'm still critical of the way you have described all
this.

Dale

Mike Calkins
June 26th 03, 04:48 PM
Sorry Dale,

Dock my pay.

"DEJ57" > wrote in message
> >I stated that the memory were a pair of boards.
>
> No, you didn't. None of your posts state the above.
>
> >I never stated that the modules needed to be installed in pairs
>
> Yes, you did--sorta...
> Quoting from the string...
>
> >Is this an usual SO-DIMM memory ??
> > I have 64 MB module, will it be working ??
> > /Jarek
>
> >No. It's Compaq unique and long before a SODIMM was ever even thought
of.
> >Tom
>
> >OK, Tom,
> >Perhaps it's a pre-SODIMM .... Gotta be in pairs, and follow the
> >previous links.
> >Mike
>
> Mike's done such a poor job of describing what it is he is talking about I
have
> to admit I don't know if he's correct or not. I had issue with the
confusing
> description, not necessarily whether pre-SODIMM memory chips had to be
> installed in pairs, and I don't think they do...but maybe so.
>
> OK, I may be wrong, but I'm still critical of the way you have described
all
> this.
>
> Dale

DEJ57
June 26th 03, 07:10 PM
>Did you get the pics?

Yes. The quality was poor and I initially had trouble seeing any detail. At
first thought the chips were plugged into the plastic strip, like a bus. Seems
that's actually the edge or side of the laptop and the slot connections are
along the opposite edges.

the yeti
June 30th 03, 05:28 AM
If someone has a picture of this memory modual, email it to me
) and I'll host it for a few weeks so anyone who
wants to can see what we are taliking about.

Mike Calkins
July 2nd 03, 05:43 PM
Sent last night.

Mike in Houston