PDA

View Full Version : Re: What sequence to install upgrades

Sandy
June 23rd 03, 07:35 PM
Now that all the votes are in, looks like a step at a time is in order.
1. Abandon Primary Ide, and Install Promise card.
2. Hook existing drive to Promise primary as master. 3. If everything
still works, hook new drive to Promise as slave. If something is wrong
at this point, change all to CSEL. 4. If it is still running at that
point, copy old drive to new with Drive Image or software that may come
with the new Seagate drive. 5. Swap old and new on the Promise, hoping
to make the new the boot drive automatically as no information can be
entered in the bios manually. 6. If it runs then, have a glass of
Champagne. If not, swap them back and stay with the old as boot, but
move swap file to the new. 7. If that all works, have another Champagne.
8. Install the Pyro external box with cd-rw using firewire port. Put the
software for it on whatever turned out to be the boot drive in above
steps. Turn everything on and watch for signs of smoke rising. If none,
put the computer back in service and send a thank you note back to those
who have pitched in to help. If it fails, report back here with details.

Does anyone see a problem with that approach? If not, I will get my
screwdriver and let the games begin.

Sandy

Tom Scales wrote:

> Why not leave the older hard drive as your boot drive. Put your swap file on
> the faster drive. Simplest solution.
>
> Tom
> "Sandy" > wrote in message
> > Thanks for your help. This 5635 Compaq has the latest bios dated 5/1999.
> > The computer was modern enough to come with firewire and dvd, but it
> > must be "old" as mentioned by Dale in his response. You enter set-up to
> > get minimal options such as setting a password, or enabling a few items
> > with yes/no selection. There is no way obvious to enter any information
> > on the hard drive or select a boot drive. No mention of SCSI. It is an
> > extremely simplistic display of minimal information. There is mention in
> > some old posts of this group now on Google that new hard drives are
> > detected automatically. I hope that is the case.
> > I did not know that it was necessary to keep the primary IDE free when
> > installing a Promise card. That means I will need to install the
> > Promise card, then put both the old and the new hard drives on the
> > Promise Primary. I will report results.
> >
> > Sandy
> >
> > The PC Guy wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello:
> > > If booting from SCSI is not an option, booting from the first IDE
> may
> > > work. If you have nothing on the motherboard's primary IDE controller,
> the
> > > system should find the drive on the Promise card.
> > > --
> > > regards,
> > > bruce
> > >
> > > The PC Guy
> > > Bruce Von Deylen
> > > Pierceton, Ind. USA
> > > Serving the computer impaired in northern
> > > Indiana and southwest lower Michigan
> > >
> > > E-mail: brucevd<at>michiana<dot>org
> drive

> if
> > > it
> > > 7240 and

- Bobb -
July 2nd 03, 10:31 PM
I haven't seen this entire thread but, I'll just mention ... about the
promise card... you should be able to get into ITS BIOS by typing CTRL-H or
CTRL-A (it announces itself on screen). There you can change the boot drive,
backup one drive to the other etc.

"Sandy" > wrote in message
> Now that all the votes are in, looks like a step at a time is in order.
> 1. Abandon Primary Ide, and Install Promise card.
> 2. Hook existing drive to Promise primary as master.
> 3. If everything
> still works, hook new drive to Promise as slave. If something is wrong
> at this point, change all to CSEL.
> 4. If it is still running at that
> point, copy old drive to new with Drive Image or software that may come
> with the new Seagate drive.
> 5. Swap old and new on the Promise, hoping
> to make the new the boot drive automatically as no information can be
> entered in the bios manually.
> 6. If it runs then, have a glass of
> Champagne. If not, swap them back and stay with the old as boot, but
> move swap file to the new.
> 7. If that all works, have another Champagne.
> 8. Install the Pyro external box with cd-rw using firewire port. Put the
> software for it on whatever turned out to be the boot drive in above
> steps. Turn everything on and watch for signs of smoke rising. If none,
> put the computer back in service and send a thank you note back to those
> who have pitched in to help. If it fails, report back here with details.
>
> Does anyone see a problem with that approach? If not, I will get my
> screwdriver and let the games begin.
>
> Sandy
>
> Tom Scales wrote:
> >
> > Why not leave the older hard drive as your boot drive. Put your swap
file on
> > the faster drive. Simplest solution.
> >
> > Tom

Sandy
July 3rd 03, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the tip. I had asked for help earlier and combined the
in the form of a recipe for upgrade. I hoped that if there was an error
someone would flag it. No one did, so I assume it was correct, or it was
too long to read < g >.

I will include your info in my notes and hope to do this project this
weekend. (Note:This may be a duplicate message. I sent it once, then
cancelled it to edit, but it probably go out anyway. Does cancelling
ever do any good?)

Sandy