PDA

View Full Version : What is it with Compaq support?

michael
June 23rd 03, 06:09 PM
Are there really people so dense and incapable of original thought,or are we
really talking to a computer programmed with stock answers?
They continually give me a part number for a psu for my system that I know
is wrong,since I already returned one unit.I'm no expert,but I
don't see how anything short of a miracle is going to make a 20 pin
connector is going to fit on a mobo with a 24 pin proprietary connector.
But they keep giving me numbers for units that have 20 pin
connectors,because that's what the spare parts site tells them goes on my
system.
I tried to point out the site also says my system uses PC 133 memory,when in
fact it uses 2100 DDR,but they can't seem to grasp the concept
that the site isn't giving people correct information.

Rick
June 23rd 03, 06:20 PM
"michael" > wrote in message ...
> Are there really people so dense and incapable of original thought,or are we
> really talking to a computer programmed with stock answers?
> They continually give me a part number for a psu for my system that I know
> is wrong,since I already returned one unit.I'm no expert,but I
> don't see how anything short of a miracle is going to make a 20 pin
> connector is going to fit on a mobo with a 24 pin proprietary connector.
> But they keep giving me numbers for units that have 20 pin
> connectors,because that's what the spare parts site tells them goes on my
> system.
> I tried to point out the site also says my system uses PC 133 memory,when in
> fact it uses 2100 DDR,but they can't seem to grasp the concept
> that the site isn't giving people correct information.

Yeah their (actually HP now) support is beyond awful. A friend of
mine has a 5000T Presario and wanted to upgrade the CPU and
memory. He called their support line three times and got three
completely different stories about what his upgrade options were,
and all three support reps said they were 100% sure about their
information. Pretty sad. We still don't have a straight answer.

RickW

SFR
June 23rd 03, 07:23 PM
"michael" > a écrit dans le message news:
(...)
> I tried to point out the site also says my system uses PC 133 memory,when
in
> fact it uses 2100 DDR,but they can't seem to grasp the concept
> that the site isn't giving people correct information.

Hi !

Well sometimes this memory thing appears to be quite obscure... Since
DDR-SDRAM marked as PC2100 has actually a front side bus at 133Mhz (the
double data rate thing makes it a"266" aka PC2100 ) maybe the confusion
comes from this part ? Anyway, you didn't specify your model, so I'm just
guessing :-)

Regards,

Serge

---

Quaoar
June 23rd 03, 10:31 PM
Rick wrote:
> "michael" > wrote in message
>> Are there really people so dense and incapable of original
>> thought,or are we
>> really talking to a computer programmed with stock answers?
>> They continually give me a part number for a psu for my system that
>> I know
>> is wrong,since I already returned one unit.I'm no expert,but I
>> don't see how anything short of a miracle is going to make a 20 pin
>> connector is going to fit on a mobo with a 24 pin proprietary
>> connector.
>> But they keep giving me numbers for units that have 20 pin
>> connectors,because that's what the spare parts site tells them goes
>> on my
>> system.
>> I tried to point out the site also says my system uses PC 133
>> memory,when in
>> fact it uses 2100 DDR,but they can't seem to grasp the concept
>> that the site isn't giving people correct information.
>
> Yeah their (actually HP now) support is beyond awful. A friend of
> mine has a 5000T Presario and wanted to upgrade the CPU and
> memory. He called their support line three times and got three
> completely different stories about what his upgrade options were,
> and all three support reps said they were 100% sure about their
> information. Pretty sad. We still don't have a straight answer.
>
> RickW

I live in Fort Collins, CO. A few years ago there were thousands upon
thousands of HP employees in this area. Today, a corporate jet flew
over my house heading west. Only HP has clout for a corporate jet
locally. I figure Carly has just laid of another 20,000 employees.

You might never get a straight answer.

michael
June 24th 03, 08:28 AM
No,the problem is that Compaq can't keep track of their own products.My
model is a 5423US,a newer Pentium 4 system,and they keep recommending parts
for the 5423,an older,and totally different,system.
"SFR" <marre du spam> wrote in message
> "michael" > a écrit dans le message news:
> (...)
> > I tried to point out the site also says my system uses PC 133
memory,when
> in
> > fact it uses 2100 DDR,but they can't seem to grasp the concept
> > that the site isn't giving people correct information.
>
> Hi !
>
> Well sometimes this memory thing appears to be quite obscure... Since
> DDR-SDRAM marked as PC2100 has actually a front side bus at 133Mhz (the
> double data rate thing makes it a"266" aka PC2100 ) maybe the confusion
> comes from this part ? Anyway, you didn't specify your model, so I'm just
> guessing :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Serge
>

> ---

Miss Jo Anne CD
June 24th 03, 12:23 PM
I called Compaq to ask about my 5000 and first was told for technical support
to call another number then when I called there some woman who barely spoken
English asked me all kinds of personal info then finally asked she could
help..I told her I just wanted to verify what type RAM my computer would
take..She told me to hold the line while she put me thru to a tech person (Why
did she even answer the phone?) finally the tech person told me my computer
would only take PC 100 modules which turned out not to be true