PDA

View Full Version : Re: I need help with a simple question for my laptop

Tom Scales
June 23rd 03, 11:16 AM
Try Shift+Enter. Works in Word.

Tom
"naitsirch79" > wrote in message
> I am using Photoshop 7 and number pad enter and enter aren't all the same
> thing. You see number pad enter is a "true" enter. The enter on the
> keyboard by the letters is a "carriage return" <<<like on a keyboard. On
my
> laptop I can't seem to get that carriage return effect. why is this an
> issue? because when I am typing text and hit enter, it completes that
task
> and that is not what I want it to do.
>
> HO HUM> Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Vibeke Schackt
June 24th 03, 12:06 AM
The FN button on your laptop keyboard is a function key to activate
secondary commands by specific keyboard buttons. Nine of the ordinary
letterbuttons do also have an option to type numbers and the number is often
marked on the letterbutton with a different color. To activate these
secondary commands you have to hold the FN-key and press the Num key. To
deactivate - do this again - hold the FN-key and press the Num key.

I'm not quite sure if this is what solves your problem - but at least you
now have an expl. of the FN-key.

:-) Vibs

"naitsirch79" > wrote in message
. ..
> I have a compaq presario 1505 us and I am using Photoshop, when I press
> enter it is like it is the number pad enter command. I need the carriage
> command for enter. Somebody said something about the FN button but I
don't
> know anything about that. Would somebody be able to help thanks

naitsirch79
June 24th 03, 01:54 AM
Thanks vibeke that was helpful but, I didn't get anything accomplished. The
FN key did what you said and now I understand that. But for somereason
when I press the return key on Photoshop it makes it complete the command
instead of doing what it is supposed too.

I can't seem to figure this one out.

Mike Calkins
June 24th 03, 04:56 PM
As a troubleshooting step, plug in an external keyboard.

"DEJ57" > wrote in message
> >I can't seem to figure this one out.
>
> My guess is that it different programs are written to act different
ways--I
> have one program that inserts text and the normal enter key acts only like
> carriage return, yet another program that has text insert acts like you
> describe, and requires you to hit and hold either "shift" (or "ctrl") and
then
> enter to get it to act like a return rather than a "yes" or "complete
command".
> A laptop keyboard evidently does have different actions assigned and I
think
> you'll have to live with it. Have you tried Tom's suggestion of "shift"
or
> mine of "ctrl" and then enter?
>
> Dale

Richard Wheeler
July 8th 03, 12:56 AM
Does anyone remember the old trick of the CTRL + M ???
There is another key stroke as well, but it's been so long since I've used
it... Might be N or J...
If you open a DOS window, or probably better, run DOS EDIT, and just
experiment with CTRL + individual LETTER keys.
I seem to remember (From my old Commodore 64 days) you could change text
colours, switch on/off the insert/over-type mode and other cursor controls.
One of which was CTRL + M, Carriage AND Return AND Enter. But one of them
was JUST Carriage AND Return NO Enter.
When I first got my hands on a PC (During the DOS ONLY days of the 80's), I
was pleased to see that some of these CONTROL CURSOR keystrokes were on the
IBM's too. Something to do with the ASCII tables...

I know this sounds trashy but I'm close to pushy daisies, so bare with me.

Commodore 64's indeed! - I still miss "Blitz" - Heh heh.

Richard Wheeler

PS - I've just tried CTRL + M as an edit stroke within this EMail - TRY IT!!