PDA

View Full Version : Re: Question about Touchpad

Kevin L. Mullin
June 23rd 03, 07:14 AM
Gary,

Thanks.

KLM

"Gary Tait" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 07:46:29 GMT, "Kevin L. Mullin"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I bought a Compaq Presario 3045US last week. The touchpad seems to lack
> >lot of the functionality of others I have used - virtual scrollbar on the
> >side, the ability to "toss" the pointer to the other side of the screen,
> >etc. Is it possible to just download a new driver or software to
increase
> >the features? I believe it is a Synaptec touchpad.
> >
> >Also, since I loaded all of my software on the machine, I seem to have
lost
> >the touchpad control panel. The device manager says "PS/2 device, but
> >nothing about the touchpad. It even says PS/2 device when I am using the
> >laptop without the external mouse - any suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >
> >KLM
>
> Downlad the driver package from Synaptics.

Kevin L. Mullin
June 23rd 03, 07:14 AM
KP,

Thanks..

KLM

"KP" > wrote in message
> you can download a new driver from windows update, I have a Compaq nx9005
> with a Synatec touchpad
> , the driver I downloaded from windows allows the touchpad to be
programmed
> in umpteen different ways
> KP

Barry Watzman
June 23rd 03, 09:25 PM
The functionality that you want is present in the drivers and setup
programs for the touchpad, which should be factory installed on the
laptop. It sounds like you are just using a "mouse" driver, which will
work but which will not provide the extra functions.

Kevin L. Mullin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I bought a Compaq Presario 3045US last week. The touchpad seems to lack a
> lot of the functionality of others I have used - virtual scrollbar on the
> side, the ability to "toss" the pointer to the other side of the screen,
> etc. Is it possible to just download a new driver or software to increase
> the features? I believe it is a Synaptec touchpad.
>
> Also, since I loaded all of my software on the machine, I seem to have lost
> the touchpad control panel. The device manager says "PS/2 device, but
> nothing about the touchpad. It even says PS/2 device when I am using the
> laptop without the external mouse - any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> KLM

Quaoar
June 23rd 03, 10:45 PM
Barry Watzman wrote:
> The functionality that you want is present in the drivers and setup
> programs for the touchpad, which should be factory installed on the
> laptop. It sounds like you are just using a "mouse" driver, which
> will
> work but which will not provide the extra functions.
>

> Kevin L. Mullin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I bought a Compaq Presario 3045US last week. The touchpad seems to
>> lack a lot of the functionality of others I have used - virtual
>> scrollbar on the side, the ability to "toss" the pointer to the
>> other side of the screen, etc. Is it possible to just download a
>> new driver or software to increase the features? I believe it is a
>> Synaptec touchpad.
>>
>> Also, since I loaded all of my software on the machine, I seem to
>> have lost the touchpad control panel. The device manager says "PS/2
>> device, but nothing about the touchpad. It even says PS/2 device
>> when I am using the laptop without the external mouse - any
>> suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> KLM

If Microsoft Intellimouse v4 is installed, it removes the special
features for Synaptics touchpad, although the basic PS2 functionality
remains.