PDA

View Full Version : Travelmate 800 graphics problems in games

Lunch
May 13th 04, 09:54 PM
Hi

I am getting graphics problems when I play Unreal Tournament 2004 and
Battlefield Vietnam. The problem is that seemingly random areas of random
size and shape flicker very briefly. Only a small proportion of the overall
screen size is affected and the flicker corrects itself very quickly so the
games are still playable, but the effect is annoying. I guess it's a driver
issue, but the ATI web site doesn't supply support for its products for
laptops - only desktop cards.

I've had a look on Acer's UK support web site and can't see any problems
reported or any indication that they have patches for the graphics drivers.
I will download and install the driver from the website (in case it has
changed - hard to tell as there doesn't appear to be any sort of change
history or even a last changed date for any of the driver entries on the
site), but haven't done this yet.

Rob

Zorglub
May 14th 04, 12:11 AM
Take care...

First of all, ask ATI if the generics' drivers for there desktops' cards are
suitable for integrated chip in ACER laptops ???
This is not an evidency... (ex : Nvidia 2Go for laptops doesn't support
genirics' Nvidia drivers ... )
If not, XP will hangup, and you'll have great troubles to go back ( but
possible... )

Regards

Claude ( Fr )
( French = Poor English ... Sorry )

"Lunch" > a écrit dans le message de
> Hi
>
> I am getting graphics problems when I play Unreal Tournament 2004 and
> Battlefield Vietnam. The problem is that seemingly random areas of random
> size and shape flicker very briefly. Only a small proportion of the
overall
> screen size is affected and the flicker corrects itself very quickly so
the
> games are still playable, but the effect is annoying. I guess it's a
driver
> issue, but the ATI web site doesn't supply support for its products for
> laptops - only desktop cards.
>
> I've had a look on Acer's UK support web site and can't see any problems
> reported or any indication that they have patches for the graphics
drivers.
> I will download and install the driver from the website (in case it has
> changed - hard to tell as there doesn't appear to be any sort of change
> history or even a last changed date for any of the driver entries on the
> site), but haven't done this yet.
>
> Rob

Lunch
May 16th 04, 12:26 PM
I have downloaded and installed the driver from the Acer website. The
version number reported is the same as it was before the install, so I
already had the latest driver installed or the driver on the Acer web site
hasn't been updated since I bought the laptop (over a year ago). However,
the install has reset some of the graphics settings, which I must have
changed at some point. They were all set at the end of the sliders that are
marked 'performance'. They are now mid-way between 'performance' and
'quality'. And the graphics problem I was seeing has gone. So the problem
was my own fault - I shouldn't have messed with those settings and then
forgot that I had done it.

Rob