PDA

View Full Version : upgrading from 64 mb GF card.

FatKat
January 31st 05, 09:01 PM
Though it's served me well, I'm wondering what options (if any) exist
to move up to a good 128mb card, keeping in mind that I'm not going to
upgrade my mobo or CPU.

Currently, I've got a P4 2GHz with 512MB of RAM. My MoBo is a Biostar
M7tdb - it's a 845 chipset board with 4x AGP at 1.5V.

Am I going to get a noticeable improvement on today's budget boards?
Assuming that $$ was no object, will newer boards run on it? (I got
only sparing assistance from Biostar when I asksed about putting in the
GF3 in late 2002 - sure it'll run with a GF3; no word on what other
options were available).

Suggestions appreciated.

Sharanga Dayananda
January 31st 05, 09:19 PM
FatKat wrote:
> Though it's served me well, I'm wondering what options (if any) exist
> to move up to a good 128mb card, keeping in mind that I'm not going to
> upgrade my mobo or CPU.
>
> Currently, I've got a P4 2GHz with 512MB of RAM. My MoBo is a Biostar
> M7tdb - it's a 845 chipset board with 4x AGP at 1.5V.
>
> Am I going to get a noticeable improvement on today's budget boards?
> Assuming that $$ was no object, will newer boards run on it? (I got
> only sparing assistance from Biostar when I asksed about putting in the
> GF3 in late 2002 - sure it'll run with a GF3; no word on what other
> options were available).
>
> Suggestions appreciated.

A 6600 GT AGP should work fine and give you good performance.

Chingy
February 1st 05, 03:34 AM
What do you usually do with your comp , play games and what sort 3d or 2d?

if you can get geforce 6600 AGP card then you should get this card for
remarkable performance gains over your existing geforce3 card..

....if you play 2d games then maybe stick with your card 1 more yr or so and
upgrade the whole lot at the end...

Cheers

"FatKat" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Though it's served me well, I'm wondering what options (if any) exist
> to move up to a good 128mb card, keeping in mind that I'm not going to
> upgrade my mobo or CPU.
>
> Currently, I've got a P4 2GHz with 512MB of RAM. My MoBo is a Biostar
> M7tdb - it's a 845 chipset board with 4x AGP at 1.5V.
>
> Am I going to get a noticeable improvement on today's budget boards?
> Assuming that $$ was no object, will newer boards run on it? (I got
> only sparing assistance from Biostar when I asksed about putting in the
> GF3 in late 2002 - sure it'll run with a GF3; no word on what other
> options were available).
>
> Suggestions appreciated.

FatKat
February 1st 05, 03:15 PM