PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800 GT OC

Dave Zass
January 31st 05, 04:40 PM
Are there any differences between the card with the nickel finish and blue
LED's and the card that just has the BFG sticker on the fan/cooler?

I think I saw something about it being UK vs US distribution. I also saw a
post saying that the nickel finish/blue LED version was a "newer/updated"
version with a better heatsink/fan.

My card runs fantastic, but I'm curious as to whether it's simply cosmetic
or not.

Richard Dower
January 31st 05, 05:54 PM
"Dave Zass" > wrote in message
> Are there any differences between the card with the nickel finish and blue
> LED's and the card that just has the BFG sticker on the fan/cooler?
>
> I think I saw something about it being UK vs US distribution. I also saw
> a post saying that the nickel finish/blue LED version was a
> "newer/updated" version with a better heatsink/fan.
>
> My card runs fantastic, but I'm curious as to whether it's simply cosmetic
> or not.

Get the one with the dual fans, it's copper heatsink and alot cooler, cool
as in "cool" not cold.

:-)

Dave Zass
February 1st 05, 06:23 PM
>> Are there any differences between the card with the nickel finish and
>> blue LED's and the card that just has the BFG sticker on the fan/cooler?
>>
>> I think I saw something about it being UK vs US distribution. I also saw
>> a post saying that the nickel finish/blue LED version was a
>> "newer/updated" version with a better heatsink/fan.
>>
>> My card runs fantastic, but I'm curious as to whether it's simply
>> cosmetic or not.
>>
> Get the one with the dual fans, it's copper heatsink and alot cooler, cool
> as in "cool" not cold.

I already own one. I guess you missed the question part of the post.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the two cards, other than
cosmetics? I know plenty of people in this NG know..... Anyone?

GT-Force
February 2nd 05, 12:45 AM
I have the dual fan version.

Temperatures on idle:
GPU: 68
Ambient :50-51
with drivers 61.77

What are yours?

GT-Force

"Dave Zass" > wrote in message
> Are there any differences between the card with the nickel finish and blue
> LED's and the card that just has the BFG sticker on the fan/cooler?
>
> I think I saw something about it being UK vs US distribution. I also saw
> a post saying that the nickel finish/blue LED version was a
> "newer/updated" version with a better heatsink/fan.
>
> My card runs fantastic, but I'm curious as to whether it's simply cosmetic
> or not.

Dave Zass
February 2nd 05, 02:19 AM
>I have the dual fan version.
>
> Temperatures on idle:
> GPU: 68
> Ambient :50-51
> with drivers 61.77
>
> What are yours?

GPU: 52C
Ambient: 39C
Using: 67.66's
Under load, after 3 hrs of Far Cry at High settings: 64C
415/1100

I'm assuming I have a single fan version? If so, I'd think I'd run hotter
than yours. I have the one with the greenish BFG sticker, not the nickel
plated dual LED model. Still trying to figure out the differences.........

Homer J. Simpson
February 2nd 05, 04:01 AM
You didn't specify if your card is AGP or PCI-Express. The AGP versions
have the dual fans and blue LED's but the PCI-Express version of the card
doesn't.

"Dave Zass" > wrote in message
> >I have the dual fan version.
>>
>> Temperatures on idle:
>> GPU: 68
>> Ambient :50-51
>> with drivers 61.77
>>
>> What are yours?
>
> GPU: 52C
> Ambient: 39C
> Using: 67.66's
> Under load, after 3 hrs of Far Cry at High settings: 64C
> 415/1100
>
> I'm assuming I have a single fan version? If so, I'd think I'd run hotter
> than yours. I have the one with the greenish BFG sticker, not the nickel
> plated dual LED model. Still trying to figure out the
> differences.........

Dave Zass
February 2nd 05, 04:47 PM
> You didn't specify if your card is AGP or PCI-Express. The AGP versions
> have the dual fans and blue LED's but the PCI-Express version of the card
> doesn't.

Sorry about that. I have an AGP version. I don't have blue LED's.

GT-Force
February 3rd 05, 02:12 AM
"Dave Zass" > wrote in message
> I'm assuming I have a single fan version? If so, I'd think I'd run hotter
> than yours.

Not necessarily. More is not always better. Sometimes, less is more! ;)

> I have the one with the greenish BFG sticker, not the nickel plated dual
> LED model. Still trying to figure out the differences....

I don't think there are any major differences. I once saw a good review
about the dual fan version, and it was somehow comparing it to the other. I
think, besides the cooling difference, there is also a buzzer on the
dual-fan version which alerts you with an audible alert if your card is too
hot (I hope I'll never hear that buzz! :) ).

GT

Dave Zass
February 3rd 05, 02:50 AM
> I don't think there are any major differences. I once saw a good review
> about the dual fan version, and it was somehow comparing it to the other.
> I think, besides the cooling difference, there is also a buzzer on the
> dual-fan version which alerts you with an audible alert if your card is
> too hot (I hope I'll never hear that buzz! :) ).

I've done plenty of googling, but could never find specifics. Thanks for
your input.

As mentioned, I have the AGP version, no shiny nickel plating or cool
flashing LED fans. They always seem to get the press/reviews. I was
curious as to the actual differences ( ie. one was early production, one
later or different markets, or a design flaw was corrected....... ) between
the two cards and why there is two different AGP versions to begin with.