PDA

View Full Version : Best card for.....

George Mooth
January 30th 05, 07:38 PM
I have a system that's running XP Pro SP2, 512 Mem, Athlon
XP1900+. Right now I have a TNT2 64 video card and it's
great for most things I do. I'd like to start doing more online
movie watching. What would be a good upgrade for my TNT2?

Maybe one of you has what I need sitting around gathering
dust. <G> If so let me know.

Thank you,

Veritech
January 30th 05, 08:45 PM
I had a geforce 2mx 440 for about 6 months before it failed, worked nicely
for me, not too expensive. But i would recommend a Geforce FX5200 really
cheap and great with older games.
"George Mooth" > wrote in message

> I have a system that's running XP Pro SP2, 512 Mem, Athlon
> XP1900+. Right now I have a TNT2 64 video card and it's
> great for most things I do. I'd like to start doing more online
> movie watching. What would be a good upgrade for my TNT2?
>
> Maybe one of you has what I need sitting around gathering
> dust. <G> If so let me know.
>
> Thank you,

YanquiDawg
January 30th 05, 09:33 PM
No!The 5200 is slow as ****.

>I had a geforce 2mx 440 for about 6 months before it failed, worked nicely
>for me, not too expensive. But i would recommend a Geforce FX5200 really
>cheap and great with older games.

MJP
January 30th 05, 11:18 PM
"George Mooth" > wrote in message

> I have a system that's running XP Pro SP2, 512 Mem, Athlon
> XP1900+. Right now I have a TNT2 64 video card and it's
> great for most things I do. I'd like to start doing more online
> movie watching. What would be a good upgrade for my TNT2?
>
> Maybe one of you has what I need sitting around gathering
> dust. <G> If so let me know.
>
> Thank you,

Depends on your budget but something like a secondhand geforce 4200, 4600
are much better value than something like an FX5200 for roughly the same
price.

farmuse
January 31st 05, 01:44 AM
no runs fine all the way up to Call of Duty with high res and high
detail, for the money they run fine. My other card is an X800 pro so I
know what good looks like ha ha

YanquiDawg wrote:
> No!The 5200 is slow as ****.
>

>>I had a geforce 2mx 440 for about 6 months before it failed, worked nicely
>>for me, not too expensive. But i would recommend a Geforce FX5200 really
>>cheap and great with older games.

Mac Cool
January 31st 05, 06:05 AM
George Mooth:

> I'd like to start doing more online
> movie watching. What would be a good upgrade for my TNT2?

Just for watching movies...
Radeon 7000 or 9200SE
Geforce MX4xxx or 5200

--
Mac Cool

Woody Strickland
January 31st 05, 12:17 PM
Yep, like he said.........for movies........great cards

"Mac Cool" > wrote in message
> George Mooth:
>
>> I'd like to start doing more online
>> movie watching. What would be a good upgrade for my TNT2?
>
> Just for watching movies...
> Radeon 7000 or 9200SE
> Geforce MX4xxx or 5200
>
> --
> Mac Cool

Lachoneus
January 31st 05, 03:17 PM
>>Just for watching movies...
>>Radeon 7000 or 9200SE
>>Geforce MX4xxx or 5200

> Yep, like he said.........for movies........great cards

Avoid the MX4000; many of them have crippled 32-bit (!) memory busses,
which wouldn't be much faster than your existing TNT2 M64. You don't
need a powerful GPU to play movies, but (relatively) fast video memory
couldn't hurt, especially if you run at higher screen resolutions.