PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT and PCI-E

Dark Helmet
January 29th 05, 09:01 PM
Running a single EVGA 6800gt PCI-E on an ASUS A8N-Sli Deluxe mobo.
Downloaded EVEREST and found this entry
under the chipset/NForce4 Northbridge area:

"PCI Express Controller
PCI-E x2 port #3 In Use @ x4"

I expected it to say "x16" and not "x4". Am I missing something here? When
the pc arrived, I noticed that the SLI configurator board was installed for
dual cards, so I reversed it.

Any thoughts?

Dark Helmet

K-Gun
January 29th 05, 09:20 PM
check your bios and make sure its set to SLI auto or single card.
"Dark Helmet" > wrote in message
> Running a single EVGA 6800gt PCI-E on an ASUS A8N-Sli Deluxe mobo.
> Downloaded EVEREST and found this entry
> under the chipset/NForce4 Northbridge area:
>
> "PCI Express Controller
> PCI-E x2 port #3 In Use @ x4"
>
> I expected it to say "x16" and not "x4". Am I missing something here?
> When
> the pc arrived, I noticed that the SLI configurator board was installed
> for
> dual cards, so I reversed it.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Dark Helmet

Richard Dower
January 30th 05, 01:30 AM
"K-Gun" > wrote in message

> check your bios and make sure its set to SLI auto or single card.

Even then if it was set to SLI it should show up as 8x as SLI splits the 16
lanes into two for SLI to operate.

I think his PC is ****ed.

edde
January 30th 05, 06:22 AM
"Richard Dower" > wrote in message

> "K-Gun" > wrote in message
>
>> check your bios and make sure its set to SLI auto or single card.
>
> Even then if it was set to SLI it should show up as 8x as SLI splits the
> 16 lanes into two for SLI to operate.
>
> I think his PC is ****ed.

I have the exact same mobo (a8n-sli) and 6600gt PCI-e videocard and get the
same message:
PCI-Ex2 port#3 in use @x4"

I would say it's Everest that is ****ed.

edde
January 30th 05, 06:22 AM
I get the same report in Everest.
I would say Everest is not reporting correctly.

"K-Gun" > wrote in message
> check your bios and make sure its set to SLI auto or single card.
> "Dark Helmet" > wrote in message
>> Running a single EVGA 6800gt PCI-E on an ASUS A8N-Sli Deluxe mobo.
>> Downloaded EVEREST and found this entry
>> under the chipset/NForce4 Northbridge area:
>>
>> "PCI Express Controller
>> PCI-E x2 port #3 In Use @ x4"
>>
>> I expected it to say "x16" and not "x4". Am I missing something here?
>> When
>> the pc arrived, I noticed that the SLI configurator board was installed
>> for
>> dual cards, so I reversed it.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet
January 30th 05, 03:14 PM
Any other program you can think of that would report this correctly?

Dark Helmet

edde
January 30th 05, 07:14 PM
Good question.

"Dark Helmet" > wrote in message
> Any other program you can think of that would report this correctly?
>
> Dark Helmet

John Lewis
January 30th 05, 10:10 PM
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:22:11 -0600, "edde"
> wrote:

>"Richard Dower" > wrote in message
>>
>> "K-Gun" > wrote in message
>>
>>> check your bios and make sure its set to SLI auto or single card.
>>
>> Even then if it was set to SLI it should show up as 8x as SLI splits the
>> 16 lanes into two for SLI to operate.
>>
>> I think his PC is ****ed.
>
>I have the exact same mobo (a8n-sli) and 6600gt PCI-e videocard and get the
>same message:
>PCI-Ex2 port#3 in use @x4"
>
>I would say it's Everest that is ****ed.

Who cares ?
No observable performance difference between 4x and 8x in SLI
with current CPU and GPU hardware. Enjoy actually using your system,
not benchmarking to death.............

John Lewis

Richard Dower
January 30th 05, 11:26 PM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message

> Who cares ?
> No observable performance difference between 4x and 8x in SLI
> with current CPU and GPU hardware. Enjoy actually using your system,
> not benchmarking to death.............

Yeah but alot of techno geek DO benchmark and test everything is working ok
and as the specs state. It's troubleshooting more then anything. As this
PCI-E and nForce4 is all new gear and no doubt has some issues still.

So bench away!

:-)

ASI Industries
January 31st 05, 01:03 AM
http://tinyurl.com/5hzaj
--
Andrew Mcintosh
ASI Industries = Alpha Soft International Industries. (1990 - 1995)

Dark Helmet
January 31st 05, 01:29 AM
"ASI Industries" >
wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
> http://tinyurl.com/5hzaj
> --
> Andrew Mcintosh
> ASI Industries = Alpha Soft International Industries. (1990 - 1995)
> ASI Industries = As i in does tries! (1996 - current date)

Yeah, that's me :-)

Dark Helmet

edde
January 31st 05, 04:15 AM
"Dark Helmet" > wrote in message
> "ASI Industries" >
> wrote in message
> news:[email protected] eranews...
>> http://tinyurl.com/5hzaj
>> --
>> Andrew Mcintosh
>> ASI Industries = Alpha Soft International Industries. (1990 - 1995)
>> ASI Industries = As i in does tries! (1996 - current date)
>>

> Yeah, that's me :-)

Hey that's good news. As I expected, it was Everest's fault, not the
chipset.

> Dark Helmet

edde
January 31st 05, 04:17 AM
"edde" > wrote in message

>> Yeah, that's me :-)
>
> Hey that's good news. As I expected, it was Everest's fault, not the
> chipset.
>>
>> Dark Helmet

I just tried the beta of Everest and now it correctly reports:

North Bridge nVIDIA nForce4 SLI
Revision A3

PCI Express Controller
PCI-E x16 port #0 In Use @ x16 (Leadtek WinFast PX6600 GT Video Adapter)
PCI-E x1 port #1 Empty
PCI-E x1 port #2 Empty
PCI-E x2 port #3 Empty

ASI Industries
January 31st 05, 02:16 PM
Hi Dark Helmet, Everest like its predecessor (Aida32) usually has 10-20
beta versions between each stable version and you really have to read the
forums to get the latest release.