PDA

View Full Version : Re: Which mfr makes the very best nVidia based cards?

Friendly Guru
January 27th 05, 08:29 AM
"Fleabus" > wrote in message

> Timely, bug-free driver support, cool and quiet is important.
> I don't mind paying for performance, reliability and features.
> Who turns out the best of the 6800Ultra cards?

eVga, BFG, Asus three choices, each comperable, NewEgg or GameVE won't let
you down.

Also, be advised, and ultra needs two slots, two molex connectors and robust
interior case thermal management. Unless you pick up a device to exhaust the
air out rather than in. (um...exciting... to install, but worth the task.)

Also, since you are throwing money around, why not PCI-E, just a thought...

Iain Dingsdale
January 27th 05, 01:05 PM
"Friendly Guru" > wrote in message

> "Fleabus" > wrote in message
>
>> Timely, bug-free driver support, cool and quiet is important.
>> I don't mind paying for performance, reliability and features.
>> Who turns out the best of the 6800Ultra cards?
>
> eVga, BFG, Asus three choices, each comperable, NewEgg or GameVE won't let
> you down.

Most manufacturers (well, almost all) will use the reference board design
and a lot will use reference coolers. So other than a different coloured PCB
and a software bundle there wont be much to choose from. FWIW this side of
the pond, BFG are considered one of the worst in many circles - partly
because the cooling solution seems to be completely terrible - 2 little
screaming fans on a very thin heatsink.
I doubt anyone here can speak from experience of every manufacturer but I
eventually decided on a 6800GT from leadtek and im very happy with it. The
heatsink is absolutely massive, the software bundle was pretty good and it
overclocks very well.

> Also, be advised, and ultra needs two slots, two molex connectors and
> robust
> interior case thermal management. Unless you pick up a device to exhaust
> the
> air out rather than in. (um...exciting... to install, but worth the task.)

a case fan?

> Also, since you are throwing money around, why not PCI-E, just a
> thought...

Friendly Guru
January 27th 05, 05:12 PM
"Iain Dingsdale" > wrote in message

> I doubt anyone here can speak from experience of every manufacturer but I
> eventually decided on a 6800GT from leadtek and im very happy with it. The
> heatsink is absolutely massive, the software bundle was pretty good and it
> overclocks very well.

> > Also, be advised, and ultra needs two slots, two molex connectors and
> > robust
> > interior case thermal management. Unless you pick up a device to exhaust
> > the
> > air out rather than in. (um...exciting... to install, but worth the
task.)

> a case fan?

Actually, I was thinking about the Arctic Cooling NV5, it's a useful device
and it functions as a powered air duct for the GPU HSF.

John McCoy
January 27th 05, 07:47 PM
I have a 6800 GT from BFG and really like it. No problems and it runs well.

John

"Iain Dingsdale" > wrote in message

> "Friendly Guru" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Fleabus" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Timely, bug-free driver support, cool and quiet is important.
>>> I don't mind paying for performance, reliability and features.
>>> Who turns out the best of the 6800Ultra cards?
>>
>> eVga, BFG, Asus three choices, each comperable, NewEgg or GameVE won't
>> let
>> you down.
>>

> Most manufacturers (well, almost all) will use the reference board design
> and a lot will use reference coolers. So other than a different coloured
> PCB and a software bundle there wont be much to choose from. FWIW this
> side of the pond, BFG are considered one of the worst in many circles -
> partly because the cooling solution seems to be completely terrible - 2
> little screaming fans on a very thin heatsink.
> I doubt anyone here can speak from experience of every manufacturer but I
> eventually decided on a 6800GT from leadtek and im very happy with it. The
> heatsink is absolutely massive, the software bundle was pretty good and it
> overclocks very well.
>
>> Also, be advised, and ultra needs two slots, two molex connectors and
>> robust
>> interior case thermal management. Unless you pick up a device to exhaust
>> the
>> air out rather than in. (um...exciting... to install, but worth the
>> task.)
>
> a case fan?
>

>> Also, since you are throwing money around, why not PCI-E, just a
>> thought...

Iain Dingsdale
January 28th 05, 12:18 AM
"John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a 6800 GT from BFG and really like it. No problems and it runs well.
>
> John

the problem with the bfg cards here is the heatsink which look like this:
http://www.bfgtech.com/images/6800GTOC_product_06.jpg
and over the pond, look like this:
http://www.hothardware.com/articleimages/item546/big_card_front.JPG

correct me if im wrong. apparently the first one is noisy and inneficient

> "Iain Dingsdale" > wrote in message

>>> eVga, BFG, Asus three choices, each comperable, NewEgg or GameVE won't
>>> let
>>> you down.
>>>

>> Most manufacturers (well, almost all) will use the reference board design
>> and a lot will use reference coolers. So other than a different coloured
>> PCB and a software bundle there wont be much to choose from. FWIW this
>> side of the pond, BFG are considered one of the worst in many circles -
>> partly because the cooling solution seems to be completely terrible - 2
>> little screaming fans on a very thin heatsink.
>> I doubt anyone here can speak from experience of every manufacturer but I
>> eventually decided on a 6800GT from leadtek and im very happy with it.
>> The heatsink is absolutely massive, the software bundle was pretty good
>> and it overclocks very well.
>>
>>> Also, be advised, and ultra needs two slots, two molex connectors and
>>> robust
>>> interior case thermal management. Unless you pick up a device to exhaust
>>> the
>>> air out rather than in. (um...exciting... to install, but worth the
>>> task.)
>>
>> a case fan?
>>

>>> Also, since you are throwing money around, why not PCI-E, just a
>>> thought...

Dave Zass
January 28th 05, 01:38 AM
>>I have a 6800 GT from BFG and really like it. No problems and it runs
>>well.

I love mine too. BFG 6800 GT OC. Just got it today.

> the problem with the bfg cards here is the heatsink which look like this:
> http://www.bfgtech.com/images/6800GTOC_product_06.jpg
> and over the pond, look like this:
> http://www.hothardware.com/articleimages/item546/big_card_front.JPG
>
> correct me if im wrong. apparently the first one is noisy and inneficient

I'm not sure what side of the pond you are on, but I have the second one and
I live in the US. My card is not noisy, not to me anyway. It's idling at
49C and was at 60C after 2 hrs of Far Cry and Doom 3 maxed out.

So far, so good. Using 67.66's.

Freedom55
January 28th 05, 03:24 AM
Dave Zass wrote:
>>>I have a 6800 GT from BFG and really like it. No problems and it runs
>>>well.
>

> I love mine too. BFG 6800 GT OC. Just got it today.
>

>>the problem with the bfg cards here is the heatsink which look like this:
>>http://www.bfgtech.com/images/6800GTOC_product_06.jpg
>>and over the pond, look like this:
>>http://www.hothardware.com/articleimages/item546/big_card_front.JPG
>>
>>correct me if im wrong. apparently the first one is noisy and inneficient
>

> I'm not sure what side of the pond you are on, but I have the second one and
> I live in the US. My card is not noisy, not to me anyway. It's idling at
> 49C and was at 60C after 2 hrs of Far Cry and Doom 3 maxed out.
>
> So far, so good. Using 67.66's.

Leadtek 6600GT PCIe was my choice. No regrets.

Ron

edde
January 28th 05, 03:28 AM
"Freedom55" <"joinertake this > wrote in message
> Dave Zass wrote:
>>
> Leadtek 6600GT PCIe was my choice. No regrets.
>
> Ron

Ron, I got the same card, Leadtek 6600GT PCIe and I love it.
I've been an MSI buyer for years now, but I'm a stickler about 2d quality
too and I've read many places that Leadtek's cards usually offer the best 2d
quality. Perhaps it's my imagination, but the 2d seems sharper on this card
than my previous MSI cards (5900, 4800, etc).

John McCoy
January 28th 05, 06:22 AM
Mine sees to work just fine, it isn't noisy at all, it seems to keep it cool
enough.

Thanks

"Iain Dingsdale" > wrote in message
.. .

> "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a 6800 GT from BFG and really like it. No problems and it runs
>>well.
>>
>> John
>
> the problem with the bfg cards here is the heatsink which look like this:
> http://www.bfgtech.com/images/6800GTOC_product_06.jpg
> and over the pond, look like this:
> http://www.hothardware.com/articleimages/item546/big_card_front.JPG
>
> correct me if im wrong. apparently the first one is noisy and inneficient

>>> Most manufacturers (well, almost all) will use the reference board
>>> design and a lot will use reference coolers. So other than a different
>>> coloured PCB and a software bundle there wont be much to choose from.
>>> FWIW this side of the pond, BFG are considered one of the worst in many
>>> circles - partly because the cooling solution seems to be completely
>>> terrible - 2 little screaming fans on a very thin heatsink.
>>> I doubt anyone here can speak from experience of every manufacturer but
>>> I eventually decided on a 6800GT from leadtek and im very happy with it.
>>> The heatsink is absolutely massive, the software bundle was pretty good
>>> and it overclocks very well.

>>> a case fan?

Frank Furter
February 22nd 05, 04:25 AM
I've got a BFG 6800GT and the thing is quite, cool, and overclockes to 407 -
1100:)

Cheers!