PDA

View Full Version : Finally broke down...

Dave Zass
January 25th 05, 06:47 AM
and got a BFG 6800 GT OC. I kept looking at 6600 GT's, but I found a 6800
GT OC on eBay for only a little more than I planned on spending..........
so I threw my hat in the ring and won. I talked to the seller tonight, it
should be here Thursday morning.

I'm replacing a GF4 Ti4800SE. I think I'm supposed to use the Forceware
drivers. Any ideas on which ones or should I just get the latest? If I'm
already using 66.93's with my current card, can I just do a straight swap of
cards? Or do I need to uninstall the 66.93's, reboot with the new card and
install new drivers?

Thanks.

Iain Dingsdale
January 25th 05, 09:55 AM
"Dave Zass" > wrote in message
> and got a BFG 6800 GT OC. I kept looking at 6600 GT's, but I found a 6800
> GT OC on eBay for only a little more than I planned on spending..........
> so I threw my hat in the ring and won. I talked to the seller tonight, it
> should be here Thursday morning.
>
> I'm replacing a GF4 Ti4800SE. I think I'm supposed to use the Forceware
> drivers. Any ideas on which ones or should I just get the latest? If I'm
> already using 66.93's with my current card, can I just do a straight swap
> of cards? Or do I need to uninstall the 66.93's, reboot with the new card
> and install new drivers?

Download latest stable drivers, uninstall old ones, turn off, replace card,
turn on, install drivers

> Thanks.

rms
January 25th 05, 05:27 PM
> Download latest stable drivers, uninstall old ones, turn off, replace
> card, turn on, install drivers

This is the safe procedure of course. But since nvidia uses 'unified
drivers' uninstallation shouldn't be necessary.

In any case, I'm using the 67.66 drivers (www.guru3d.com) and they seem
fine.

rms

Dave Zass
January 25th 05, 05:59 PM
> In any case, I'm using the 67.66 drivers (www.guru3d.com) and they seem
> fine.

I'll guess I'll end up searching for the "best driver" for this card. I
think it comes with 61.xx nvidia drivers. Based on a quick google and some
reading, it looks like I should either get the 66.xx or the new 71.20
Forceware. Based on some testing results I saw on my google run, I guess
which drivers you use really depends on which games you like to play and
your individual set up.

Reckless
January 25th 05, 07:03 PM
nVidia doesn't state that their installation routine doesn't do anything
specific per video card detected either :) Unified could mean 'packaged in
one big download which is sorted out on installation' or supply all files
(bloatware) and only use those that are needed by the system. I'd go with
the full uninstall/remove card/install latest drivers just to be sure :)

"rms" > wrote in message
m...
> > Download latest stable drivers, uninstall old ones, turn off, replace
> > card, turn on, install drivers
>
> This is the safe procedure of course. But since nvidia uses 'unified
> drivers' uninstallation shouldn't be necessary.
>
> In any case, I'm using the 67.66 drivers (www.guru3d.com) and they
seem
> fine.
>
> rms

RonK
January 25th 05, 08:38 PM
I use the 7125 drivers on my 6800 0c and they work great. You can get them
from:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=10

"Dave Zass" > wrote in message
>> In any case, I'm using the 67.66 drivers (www.guru3d.com) and they
>> seem fine.
>
> I'll guess I'll end up searching for the "best driver" for this card. I
> think it comes with 61.xx nvidia drivers. Based on a quick google and
> some reading, it looks like I should either get the 66.xx or the new 71.20
> Forceware. Based on some testing results I saw on my google run, I guess
> which drivers you use really depends on which games you like to play and
> your individual set up.

RJT
January 25th 05, 08:59 PM
rms wrote:
>>Download latest stable drivers, uninstall old ones, turn off, replace
>>card, turn on, install drivers
>
> This is the safe procedure of course. But since nvidia uses 'unified
> drivers' uninstallation shouldn't be necessary.

To avoid any problems, I'd still stick to the procedure mentioned above.

Iain Dingsdale
January 26th 05, 01:17 AM
"Reckless" > wrote in message
> nVidia doesn't state that their installation routine doesn't do anything
> specific per video card detected either :) Unified could mean 'packaged in
> one big download which is sorted out on installation' or supply all files
> (bloatware) and only use those that are needed by the system. I'd go with
> the full uninstall/remove card/install latest drivers just to be sure :)

Do, i had no end of problems with me 6800gt when i upgraded from a 5700le
and assumed the same drivers would be fine. crashes aplenty and crappy
performance. Put the 5700le back in and did the safe procedure, works like a
dream now

> "rms" > wrote in message
> m...
>> > Download latest stable drivers, uninstall old ones, turn off, replace
>> > card, turn on, install drivers
>>
>> This is the safe procedure of course. But since nvidia uses 'unified
>> drivers' uninstallation shouldn't be necessary.
>>
>> In any case, I'm using the 67.66 drivers (www.guru3d.com) and they
> seem
>> fine.
>>
>> rms

Friendly Guru
January 27th 05, 01:56 AM
"Dave Zass" > wrote in message
> and got a BFG 6800 GT OC. I kept looking at 6600 GT's, but I found a 6800
> GT OC on eBay for only a little more than I planned on spending..........
> so I threw my hat in the ring and won. I talked to the seller tonight, it
> should be here Thursday morning.

You lambast me for supporting eBay, and you went ahead and bought a 6800GT
on eBay? There is literally no one on this planet I do not hate, right this
very second.

Okie, I'm over it. I'm curious as to how well it will OC, I can get
400/1100 with no rise in load temperature over stock speed with stock
cooler, a free oc, as it were.

Have a honkin' PSU?

Dave Zass
January 27th 05, 02:31 AM
> You lambast me for supporting eBay, and you went ahead and bought a 6800GT
> on eBay? There is literally no one on this planet I do not hate, right
> this
> very second.

Dude, I don't understand you at all. I NEVER lambasted you for supporting
eBay. I made a post about people paying more for 6600 GT's through auctions
on eBay than they would had they paid a fixed price elsewhere online. What
part of that still confuses you?

> Okie, I'm over it. I'm curious as to how well it will OC, I can get
> 400/1100 with no rise in load temperature over stock speed with stock
> cooler, a free oc, as it were.

I'm hoping for 420-430/1100-1150 range.

> Have a honkin' PSU?

420W. Should be fine.

Cory Dunkle
January 27th 05, 02:59 AM
"Dave Zass" > wrote in message
> and got a BFG 6800 GT OC. I kept looking at 6600 GT's, but I found a 6800
> GT OC on eBay for only a little more than I planned on spending..........
> so I threw my hat in the ring and won. I talked to the seller tonight, it
> should be here Thursday morning.
>
> I'm replacing a GF4 Ti4800SE. I think I'm supposed to use the Forceware
> drivers. Any ideas on which ones or should I just get the latest? If I'm
> already using 66.93's with my current card, can I just do a straight swap
of
> cards? Or do I need to uninstall the 66.93's, reboot with the new card
and
> install new drivers?
>
> Thanks.

See the thread titled "Any help with blurry 2d on a GeForce 6800?" posted on
January 2nd. Let me know how your BFG Tech card works out, especially at
higher resoltuions and refresh rates with an analog monitor. I'm curious if
the GT card from BFG are junk too or if it's just the plain 6800's.

Cory

Dave Zass
January 27th 05, 07:52 PM
> See the thread titled "Any help with blurry 2d on a GeForce 6800?" posted
> on
> January 2nd. Let me know how your BFG Tech card works out, especially at
> higher resoltuions and refresh rates with an analog monitor. I'm curious
> if
> the GT card from BFG are junk too or if it's just the plain 6800's.

Yeah, I saw your thread. One person who got wasn't getting the results they
wanted blamed everyone but themself. Either the card wasn't set up
properly, the drivers were incorrect or corrupted, not enough power,
incorrect or inefficient settings, etc, OR it was just a defective card.
All you did was say that BFG sucked and their card sucked. To each their
own.

My BFG 6800 GT OC just got installed about 1 hr ago. Working like a charm.
I'm still putting it through some basic testing before I really crank 'er
up. I'll keep you posted.

AMD XP 2700+
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
1Gb PC2700
BFG 6800 GT OC ( replaced a Gainward GS Ti4800Se 128mb AGP )
NEC Multisync 90 (19" CRT)

My best 3dMark03 score with the Gainward OC'd was 1787, using 66.93
First run at stock with the 6800 GT OC was 10928, using 67.66

3D looks awesome in Far Cry. 1600x1200 with everything maxed and on.
Smooth!
2D looks fine. Perfectly acceptable. No problems at all so far.

Cory Dunkle
January 28th 05, 06:44 AM
"Dave Zass" > wrote in message
> > See the thread titled "Any help with blurry 2d on a GeForce 6800?"
posted
> > on
> > January 2nd. Let me know how your BFG Tech card works out, especially at
> > higher resoltuions and refresh rates with an analog monitor. I'm curious
> > if
> > the GT card from BFG are junk too or if it's just the plain 6800's.
>
> Yeah, I saw your thread. One person who got wasn't getting the results
they
> wanted blamed everyone but themself. Either the card wasn't set up
> properly, the drivers were incorrect or corrupted, not enough power,
> incorrect or inefficient settings, etc, OR it was just a defective card.
> All you did was say that BFG sucked and their card sucked. To each their
> own.

You clearly haven't read too far into that thread. If you did you'd know I
tried two different cards. i tried each card in several different
motherboards, each with a different chipset. I tried with several different
power supplies, and different combinations of power supplies (two of which
are 400+ watts, an Antec and an Enermax) and motherboards. Several different
RAM sticks and configurations on each board. I tried about 15 different
drivers. I even tried a fresh install of windows on one of the systems. I
tried several different monitors. I tried everything that could possibly
have anything to do with the problem, and then a crapload of things that
couldn't have anything to do with it just to rule them out. Sure, I suppose
it's possible I got two defective cards, but that's very unlikely. If that
is the case that I got two defective cards... Well that speaks very lowly
for BFG Tech.

So all I did was say that their 6800 OC card is junk, after trying
everything under the sun to make it work right including exchanging it for
another board. The particular problem I was having is also a known problem
with boards using poor quality analog filters, and I ruled out everything
except a hardware problem specific to the card. Yet you say all I did was
"say that BFG sucked and their card sucked". If that's what you honestly
think, you truly haven't a clue...

Anyhow, Are you suing an analog CRT? If so what resolution and refresh rate
are you using on your desktop? Is the image crystal clear at
[email protected]? How about 85Hz at 1600x1200? Can you tell a difference
in clarity/sharpness at those high resolutions between 60Hz and 85Hz? I'm
interested to know if the GT cards work well, as if they do it may be a
bargain to get one of those since they are guaranteed to overclock and have
nice heatsink setups on them (I was very impressed with the heatisnk/fan
setup on the 6800 OC).

Cory