PDA

View Full Version : Re: Suddenly no DVD decoder :-(

Reckless
January 25th 05, 01:48 AM
Some video cards come with DVD player software, some DVDs come with
appropriate software! Can you not remember what either came with? PowerDVD,
WinDVD, nvDVD or something else?

"Lars-Erik ěsterud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Today I upgraded my Plextor DVD writers firware (and it got discovered
> as a new device) AND last week I upgraded my Nvidia video drivers from
> 44.03 to 61.77. Everything seems to function OK.
>
> BUT today I wanted to play a DVD on my system, using Microsoft Media
> Player 10, somthing that worked last time I tried (>week ago).
>
> But today I only get a message that there is no DVD decoder on my
> system!?!?!?!?!? Is this due to the firmware update, to the video
> driver update or what? It can't just disappear from my system?
>
> Since MS says the DVD decoder software is not a part of Windows, where
> did I get it from originally (with the DVD drive or the video-driver)?
>
> BTW: Inside applications like DVD-Shrink the video is viewable :-/
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

!bungle
January 25th 05, 08:31 AM
"Lars-Erik ěsterud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Today I upgraded my Plextor DVD writers firware (and it got discovered
> as a new device) AND last week I upgraded my Nvidia video drivers from
> 44.03 to 61.77. Everything seems to function OK.
>
> BUT today I wanted to play a DVD on my system, using Microsoft Media
> Player 10, somthing that worked last time I tried (>week ago).
>
> But today I only get a message that there is no DVD decoder on my
> system!?!?!?!?!? Is this due to the firmware update, to the video
> driver update or what? It can't just disappear from my system?
>
> Since MS says the DVD decoder software is not a part of Windows, where
> did I get it from originally (with the DVD drive or the video-driver)?
>
> BTW: Inside applications like DVD-Shrink the video is viewable :-/
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

As happy(lucky?) as I've been with my BFG6600GT, the NVDVD situation really
annoys me. I was an ATI guy for a long time and I never had that crap pulled
on me.
I don't think it's too much too ask that my $250 video card comes with a
full-featured DVD player application.

Especially since the only thing BFG does wrong(IMHO) is not giving any
extras with the card. No game demos, just a few of the Nvidia graphics
demos.

!bungle

Windows XP SP2
DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb
w/stock BIOS 9/14
AMD64 3200+ Newcastle CG
2X512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200
BFG GeForce 6600GT OC AGP 8X w/128MB DDR3
w/ForceWare 71.25
2X60GB Maxtor SATA HD RAID
Artec DVD/CDRW 52X
Ultra ULT-31646 500W w/CPS
CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Aircooled
Envision EFT920
Saitek Gamers KB
Logitech MX510
Logitech X-230
NO OVERCLOCKING (except BFG factory OC Videocard)

First of One
January 25th 05, 09:00 PM
1. Stay away from Windows Media Player 10
2. Uninstall any other bloated DVD player software.
3. Uninstall any other crap like Quicktime or RealOne
4. Uninstall DivX

5. Download the *free* KazaaLite Mega Codec Pack, which includes Media
Player Classic and every codec you'll ever need (MPEG2, DivX, Quicktime,
Real...). It plays DVDs and VCDs, too. The player even uses DirectX9 to
render subtitles, if applicable.

"Lars-Erik ěsterud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Today I upgraded my Plextor DVD writers firware (and it got discovered
> as a new device) AND last week I upgraded my Nvidia video drivers from
> 44.03 to 61.77. Everything seems to function OK.
>
> BUT today I wanted to play a DVD on my system, using Microsoft Media
> Player 10, somthing that worked last time I tried (>week ago).
>
> But today I only get a message that there is no DVD decoder on my
> system!?!?!?!?!? Is this due to the firmware update, to the video
> driver update or what? It can't just disappear from my system?
>
> Since MS says the DVD decoder software is not a part of Windows, where
> did I get it from originally (with the DVD drive or the video-driver)?
>
> BTW: Inside applications like DVD-Shrink the video is viewable :-/
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

!bungle
January 26th 05, 01:14 AM
"First of One" > wrote in message
> 1. Stay away from Windows Media Player 10
> 2. Uninstall any other bloated DVD player software.
> 3. Uninstall any other crap like Quicktime or RealOne
> 4. Uninstall DivX
>
> 5. Download the *free* KazaaLite Mega Codec Pack, which includes Media
> Player Classic and every codec you'll ever need (MPEG2, DivX, Quicktime,
> Real...). It plays DVDs and VCDs, too. The player even uses DirectX9 to
> render subtitles, if applicable.

> "Lars-Erik ěsterud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Today I upgraded my Plextor DVD writers firware (and it got discovered
>> as a new device) AND last week I upgraded my Nvidia video drivers from
>> 44.03 to 61.77. Everything seems to function OK.
>>
>> BUT today I wanted to play a DVD on my system, using Microsoft Media
>> Player 10, somthing that worked last time I tried (>week ago).
>>
>> But today I only get a message that there is no DVD decoder on my
>> system!?!?!?!?!? Is this due to the firmware update, to the video
>> driver update or what? It can't just disappear from my system?
>>
>> Since MS says the DVD decoder software is not a part of Windows, where
>> did I get it from originally (with the DVD drive or the video-driver)?
>>
>> BTW: Inside applications like DVD-Shrink the video is viewable :-/

Is it adware free?

Kazaa kinda became a dirty word to me a while back...

!bungle

Windows XP SP2
DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb
w/stock BIOS 9/14
AMD64 3200+ Newcastle CG
2X512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200
BFG GeForce 6600GT OC AGP 8X w/128MB DDR3
w/ForceWare 71.25
2X60GB Maxtor SATA HD RAID
Artec DVD/CDRW 52X
Ultra ULT-31646 500W w/CPS
CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Aircooled
Envision EFT920
Saitek Gamers KB
Logitech MX510
Logitech X-230
NO OVERCLOCKING (except BFG factory OC Videocard)

First of One
January 26th 05, 06:45 AM
It's just a codec pack and a no-nonsense media player, adware-free, and with
non of the DRM restrictions that plaque the other "official" media players.

BTW, KazaaLite is Kazaa with all the unwanted crap stripped out of it. In
any case, the codec pack has no real affiliation with Kazaa, just by name.

"!bungle" > wrote in message
> Is it adware free?
>
> Kazaa kinda became a dirty word to me a while back...
>

> !bungle

!bungle
January 27th 05, 03:20 AM
"First of One" > wrote in message
> It's just a codec pack and a no-nonsense media player, adware-free, and
> with
> non of the DRM restrictions that plaque the other "official" media
> players.
>
> BTW, KazaaLite is Kazaa with all the unwanted crap stripped out of it. In
> any case, the codec pack has no real affiliation with Kazaa, just by name.

Thanks for that reply- I'll check it out.

I wanted to gripe about something else that really ****ed me off- but I
can't remember the name of the player... it seemed that everything I was
renting was trying to install and use a player that I personally did not
care for. I was having a hell of a time getting stuff to play with my other
software during this, too.

I finally managed to get it to go away, but I still have to close that damn
window that pops up on some rentals.

(hell, I don't know if the problem is confined to rentals or not- I just
don't recall seeing it on a disc that I own...)

!bungle

> "!bungle" > wrote in message
>> Is it adware free?
>>
>> Kazaa kinda became a dirty word to me a while back...
>>

>> !bungle

Andrew Bailey
January 27th 05, 10:22 AM
I hear ya,

Luckily I found out that WMP10 doesn't come with DVD functionality on
someone elses pc. You now gotta buy the DVD part as a plug-in.

Andy

"Lars-Erik ěsterud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Today I upgraded my Plextor DVD writers firware (and it got discovered
> as a new device) AND last week I upgraded my Nvidia video drivers from
> 44.03 to 61.77. Everything seems to function OK.
>
> BUT today I wanted to play a DVD on my system, using Microsoft Media
> Player 10, somthing that worked last time I tried (>week ago).
>
> But today I only get a message that there is no DVD decoder on my
> system!?!?!?!?!? Is this due to the firmware update, to the video
> driver update or what? It can't just disappear from my system?
>
> Since MS says the DVD decoder software is not a part of Windows, where
> did I get it from originally (with the DVD drive or the video-driver)?
>
> BTW: Inside applications like DVD-Shrink the video is viewable :-/
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

pjp
January 28th 05, 08:54 PM
"!bungle" > wrote in message

> "First of One" > wrote in message
> > It's just a codec pack and a no-nonsense media player, adware-free, and
> > with
> > non of the DRM restrictions that plaque the other "official" media
> > players.
> >
> > BTW, KazaaLite is Kazaa with all the unwanted crap stripped out of it.
In
> > any case, the codec pack has no real affiliation with Kazaa, just by
name.

> > --
> > "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
> > It can therefore be said that politics is war without
> > bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
> >

> Thanks for that reply- I'll check it out.
>
> I wanted to gripe about something else that really ****ed me off- but I
> can't remember the name of the player... it seemed that everything I was
> renting was trying to install and use a player that I personally did not
> care for. I was having a hell of a time getting stuff to play with my
other
> software during this, too.
>
> I finally managed to get it to go away, but I still have to close that
damn
> window that pops up on some rentals.
>
> (hell, I don't know if the problem is confined to rentals or not- I just
> don't recall seeing it on a disc that I own...)

Think you're just getting the Autoplay feature on the cd working asking to
install "Interact's" (think that's the name) DVD player. I've always just
assumed it's put on the dvd so novice pc owners don't have to wonder "how do
I watch this" if they just put the dvd in their drive.

It's no problem to simply cancel the install and use your own player
(WinDVD, PowerDVD or whatever) instead. If that's not enough, just hold
down the "Shift" key (maybe Ctrl instead?) so Window's Autioplay feature
doesn't kick in when you put the dvd in.

> !bungle
>

> > "!bungle" > wrote in message
> >> Is it adware free?
> >>
> >> Kazaa kinda became a dirty word to me a while back...
> >>

> >> !bungle

!bungle
January 29th 05, 02:55 AM
"pjp" > wrote in message

> "!bungle" > wrote in message

<snipped>

>> I wanted to gripe about something else that really ****ed me off- but I
>> can't remember the name of the player... it seemed that everything I was
>> renting was trying to install and use a player that I personally did not
>> care for. I was having a hell of a time getting stuff to play with my
> other
>> software during this, too.
>>
>> I finally managed to get it to go away, but I still have to close that
> damn
>> window that pops up on some rentals.
>>
>> (hell, I don't know if the problem is confined to rentals or not- I just
>> don't recall seeing it on a disc that I own...)
>>

> Think you're just getting the Autoplay feature on the cd working asking to
> install "Interact's" (think that's the name) DVD player. I've always just
> assumed it's put on the dvd so novice pc owners don't have to wonder "how
> do
> I watch this" if they just put the dvd in their drive.
>
> It's no problem to simply cancel the install and use your own player
> (WinDVD, PowerDVD or whatever) instead. If that's not enough, just hold
> down the "Shift" key (maybe Ctrl instead?) so Window's Autioplay feature
> doesn't kick in when you put the dvd in.

doh!

(I recently did a clean install of XP SP2 and never set "Autoplay" to "off",
which is the way I've always set it in the past)

makes sense..... and yeah, it was "Interactual" or somethin' similar.

thnx again,

!bungle